• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP ... 2.1 system.. confused?

pbc

So I decided to delve into a 2.1 system for my office. Have an older pair of Polk speakers that I may upgrade, along with an SVS SB13-Ultra sub (has XLR, high/low connections). I also have a pretty old MiniDSP balanced 2x4 with phoenix connectors and was planning on using with with and old (yes ... lots of old stuff being used here!) Sonos Connect amp, and was considering whether to pick up a cheap DAC as well.

But before I get into the DAC, I can't even figure out if I can connect the MiniDSP to the Sonos. I.e., the Sonos has these inputs/outputs on its back:

connectamp_rear_diagram.png

Whereas the MiniDSP usually, I think, sits between the audio source and the amp? I.e., if it was a Sonos Connect that has RCA in and outs and I had an external amp, this would work. Is it correct to assume in this case I can't connect the MiniDSP to use the PEQ's and high/low pass EQ capabilities because there are no "audio out" connections?

OP
P

pbc

Speaking of, is there an SMSL or Topping DAC+amplifier combo that I could use if i went instead with a Sonos Connect (not the amp version)? E.g, the AO200 is on sale currently, but I can't seem to find anything regarding what DAC it has inside.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I decided to delve into a 2.1 system for my office. Have an older pair of Polk speakers that I may upgrade, along with an SVS SB13-Ultra sub (has XLR, high/low connections). I also have a pretty old MiniDSP balanced 2x4 with phoenix connectors and was planning on using with with and old (yes ... lots of old stuff being used here!) Sonos Connect amp, and was considering whether to pick up a cheap DAC as well.

But before I get into the DAC, I can't even figure out if I can connect the MiniDSP to the Sonos. I.e., the Sonos has these inputs/outputs on its back:

connectamp_rear_diagram.png

Whereas the MiniDSP usually, I think, sits between the audio source and the amp? I.e., if it was a Sonos Connect that has RCA in and outs and I had an external amp, this would work. Is it correct to assume in this case I can't connect the MiniDSP to use the PEQ's and high/low pass EQ capabilities because there are no "audio out" connections?
Can't use a miniDSP with the Sonos Amp. How about a Sonos connect (coaxial out) into a miniDSP Flex? You'll need an amp too.

OP
P

pbc

Thanks, that's what I thought. The MiniDSP Flex is above what I wanted to spend for this system, it would come to ~$700 or more CAD post shipping and I'd still need a streaming source for it + amp. Plus another CAD$280 for DIRAC, and of course I'd end up wanting that too!

I actually had the SMSL AO200 for a bit but returned it to Amazon (and now it's a bit cheaper). Found the sound a bit sterile, but not sure if that was the fact that I was connecting via BlueTooth, or whatever DAC is in the AO200.

Maybe I can find the Paradigm PW Link or whatever it's called for cheap and pair it to the SO200 and use the MiniDSP 2x4 for high/low pass.

OP
P

pbc

Actually, I can get my hands on a Marantz NR1200 stereo receiver/amp. Would I be able to incorporate the MiniDSP 2x4 into that system to use it's EQ on the sub and speakers? No idea why they didn't include Audyssey in the NR1200, seems like a big miss.

I think the answer is still no, as the MiniDSP needs to sit in between the source and amp.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, that's what I thought. The MiniDSP Flex is above what I wanted to spend for this system, it would come to ~$700 or more CAD post shipping and I'd still need a streaming source for it + amp. Plus another CAD$280 for DIRAC, and of course I'd end up wanting that too!

I actually had the SMSL AO200 for a bit but returned it to Amazon (and now it's a bit cheaper). Found the sound a bit sterile, but not sure if that was the fact that I was connecting via BlueTooth, or whatever DAC is in the AO200.

Maybe I can find the Paradigm PW Link or whatever it's called for cheap and pair it to the SO200 and use the MiniDSP 2x4 for high/low pass.
how about a Sonos Connect -> Toslink-> MiniDSP 2x4 HD with an exernal amp? Or you could simply use an AVR of your choice.

OP
P

pbc

Okay, so I managed to get a Martin Logan Unison on the cheap which I will use as the source in this system, it has ARC room EQ. However, it only has RCA ins/outs (and Toslink), no subwoofer out so i assume does not utilize a high pass or low pass.

Plan would be to connect as follows, I think, to utilize hte high pass/low pass and PEQ functionality of the SVS SB13 Ultra subwoofer (that is, use it for bass management):

- Connect RCA outs from Unison to the RCA ins on the SVS SB13 Amp
- Connect the XLR left/Right outputs from the SVS SB13 amp to the XLR ins on the SMSL AO200 (planning on going back to that).

I could then use the high pass and low pass available on the SV13 to set each to either 80/100 or 120hz (will see based on response) for the subwoofer and the speakers.

I asked SVS if this was the correct connection, but their CS person came back with this response:

"I would suggest using either the RCA or XLR outputs on
SMSL AO200 Preamp so that if your are using multiple audio sources you would then use the preamp as a switcher as well. "

But I don't understand that. Presumably that would mean to use the RCA outs from the Unison to the RCA inputs on the SMSL AO200 (or XLR inputs, can't recall if if has RCA inputs), but then aren't I bypassing what I want to do, which is to use the SB13 for bass management duties given the SB13 ultra isn't obviously powering the front left/right speakers?

Top Bottom