• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP 10x10 for active crossovers and AVR - connection options?

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've been working on putting together a design for a DIY 5.2-4 (2 to 4 subs) system. I'm still considering whether to use active crossovers for the speakers or go with my original plan which was to do typical passive crossover design. Of late the active idea hooked me after seeing others do it for 3-way speaker designs. I've been reading manuals for solutions like a MiniDSP 10x10, which I thought was promising but now I'm not so sure. Is there a way to connect it and utilize the AVR amps for the 5 speakers? The manuals have it as Pre/Pro >> MiniDSP >> then separate amps. Since my room design and space has a maximum of 5 channels for LCR and surrounds, I'm not interested in shelling out a bunch of $ for a higher level AVR with pre-outs and 7+ channels of unused amps, otherwise I'd just scrap the fully active idea and may as well use AudysseyXT32 or somesuch and a MiniDSP 2x4 HD as an add-on (and go with passive crossovers for the speakers). In an ideal world I'd have fully active system and use a 5.2 AVR with a separate multichannel amp for subs. Backup is a 5.2 AVR with passive speakers and multichannel amp for subs using the 2x4 HD.

Is there something I'm missing or is the 10x10 a deadend? I've looked at a bunch of forums and haven't seen anyone with a fully active crossover setup for all the drivers. Thanks!

Last edited:

Everett T

Forum Donor
I've been working on putting together a design for a DIY 5.2-4 (2 to 4 subs) system. I'm still considering whether to use active crossovers for the speakers or go with my original plan which was to do typical passive crossover design. Of late the active idea hooked me after seeing others do it for 3-way speaker designs. I've been reading manuals for solutions like a MiniDSP 10x10, which I thought was promising but now I'm not so sure. Is there a way to connect it and utilize the AVR amps for the 5 speakers? The manuals have it as Pre/Pro >> MiniDSP >> then separate amps. Since my room design and space has a maximum of 5 channels for LCR and surrounds, I'm not interested in shelling out a bunch of $ for a higher level AVR with pre-outs and 7+ channels of unused amps, otherwise I'd just scrap the fully active idea and may as well use AudysseyXT32 or somesuch and a MiniDSP 2x4 HD as an add-on (and go with passive crossovers for the speakers). In an ideal world I'd have fully active system and use a 5.2 AVR with a separate multichannel amp for subs. Backup is a 5.2 AVR with passive speakers and multichannel amp for subs using the 2x4 HD.

Is there something I'm missing or is the 10x10 a deadend? I've looked at a bunch of forums and haven't seen anyone with a fully active crossover setup for all the drivers. Thanks!
You can't use the AVRs amps for an active crossover setup. What speakers are you considering for diy?

OP
Colonel7

Colonel7

You can't use the AVRs amps for an active crossover setup. What speakers are you considering for diy?
Thanks, figured that was the case. My own BMR inspired 3way design with 7" for the LR and two 5" for center, and 2way sans BMR mid for surrounds with 5". Been modeling Dayton RS180Ps and various tweeters. When I get to testing I'm thinking about ordering some 7" Anarchys and Dayton classic 6.5 to compare.

Everett T

Forum Donor
Thanks, figured that was the case. My own BMR inspired 3way design with 7" for the LR and two 5" for center, and 2way sans BMR mid for surrounds with 5". Been modeling Dayton RS180Ps and various tweeters. When I get to testing I'm thinking about ordering some 7" Anarchys and Dayton classic 6.5 to compare.

Ambitious and interesting! If you went active, I'd recommend multi channel whole house audio amps that have the ability to be bridged for the woofer sections. It definitely can get pricey for a fully active setup. Maybe consider just the LCR?

Just note that the BMR driver that Dennis Murphy uses in his design has to be in it's own completely sealed chamber to load the driver optimally.

OP
Colonel7

Colonel7

Ambitious and interesting! If you went active, I'd recommend multi channel whole house audio amps that have the ability to be bridged for the woofer sections. It definitely can get pricey for a fully active setup. Maybe consider just the LCR?

Just note that the BMR driver that Dennis Murphy uses in his design has to be in it's own completely sealed chamber to load the driver optimally.
Probably too ambitious on the fully active front! Not sure yet how I'll do the sealed chamber. Some clever and oddball ideas for separating the mid from some of the diy sites, whether to just save money or try something different.

Everett T

Forum Donor
Probably too ambitious on the fully active front! Not sure yet how I'll do the sealed chamber. Some clever and oddball ideas for separating the mid from some of the diy sites, whether to just save money or try something different.
The small sealed chamber isn't hard to mount to a baffle. I have BMRs, 3 almost complete, just have to glue the baffles on and apply the finish the cabinets.

These are to be for a small family room surround setup.

No. 5

Is there a way to connect it and utilize the AVR amps for the 5 speakers?
If you are ok with voiding the warranty on your AVR and having surgery performed on it, yes, that can be done; it's a matter of cutting the connection between the preamplifier and amplifier sections (which might even be on separate boards and make things a little easier) and adding new RCA's for amplifier inputs.

Before the introduction of HDMI, there were some AVR's that had direct amplifier inputs. Unfortunately, those days are past.

OP
Colonel7

Colonel7

If you are ok with voiding the warranty on your AVR and having surgery performed on it, yes, that can be done; it's a matter of cutting the connection between the preamplifier and amplifier sections (which might even be on separate boards and make things a little easier) and adding new RCA's for amplifier inputs.

Before the introduction of HDMI, there were some AVR's that had direct amplifier inputs. Unfortunately, those days are past.
Thanks. Not something I'll want to do but I know my use case is a unicorn. Then again there are so many folks wishing there were inexpensive pre/pros with home theater codecs. It's probably too small a market for companies to profit.

No. 5

This is probably cynical, but there's probably some market perception mixed in there too. pre/pros have have an association with the High End, so to take a $1000 AVR and pull the amplifiers out would make it, what? A $750-$500 pre/pro? That's far from High End territory, but I think there's a fair number of enthusiasts who would love to have something like that.

Top Bottom