• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSD SHD

kevin1969

Does anyone have the SHD? I'm just trying to verify that it will let you take measurements for 2 different sets of speakers as well as play music to both at the same time.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use the SHD "studio" version which allows four channels to be processed through two AES connectors. I use it *only* as a crossover in the digital domain - no other filtration.

If you are running this device as a DIRAC processor I fear four channels, full spectrum may be beyond its capacity. I use mine with DIRAC disabled.

In my opinion it's an excellent Digital preamp with a straight forward suite for simple manipulations - but the sound of DIRAC corrected output wasn't an improvement for me.

Above 300 hZ there are audible changes that don't sound better to me. With my subs crossed over around 100 hZ no processing seems necessary.

The MiniDSP manual illustrates using it as a crossover/filter either with two way designs or adding subwoofers. (Section 9.3)

"Finally, we’ve added a second pair of outputs and a suite of our powerful but user-friendly DSP audio tuning software - ten-band parametric EQ per channel, crossovers up to 48 dB/octave, compressor/limiter, and a 2x4 matrix mixer — for powerful audio system tuning in applications ranging from integrating a single subwoofer to a two-way active speaker."

While you theoretically could run a sweep for each speaker and use the device to process output on all channels; I would anticipate instability, artefacts and hash on playback.

https://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/SHD Series User Manual.pdf

Another Bob

Forum Donor
You could use the four outputs of the SHD as two full-range stereo pairs, and you could manually apply PEQ to each channel separately, but the Dirac correction is actually applied based on the two inputs. So in your use case, Dirac would only be useful if you had two sets of identical speakers in identical (or very nearly so) rooms.

OP
K

kevin1969

You could use the four outputs of the SHD as two full-range stereo pairs, and you could manually apply PEQ to each channel separately, but the Dirac correction is actually applied based on the two inputs. So in your use case, Dirac would only be useful if you had two sets of identical speakers in identical (or very nearly so) rooms.

Ahhhh ok. That's what I was wondering. I should probably just invest the time messing around with the REW stuff first.

Soffer

Is it possible to apply Dirac to one set of outputs but not apply Dirac against the other set of outputs at the same time?

Thanks.

ebslo

Forum Donor
Is it possible to apply Dirac to one set of outputs but not apply Dirac against the other set of outputs at the same time?

Thanks.
No, Dirac is applied to the inputs before the routing matrix. See the figure on page 43 of the User Manual.

Soffer

Thank you Ebslo.

Is it true to say that I can set up one of the four presets to bypass Dirac but still apply routing and EQ to all four outputs? I'd be essentially disabling Dirac but still using the MiniDSP configuration.

Godataloss

Thank you Ebslo.

Is it true to say that I can set up one of the four presets to bypass Dirac but still apply routing and EQ to all four outputs? I'd be essentially disabling Dirac but still using the MiniDSP configuration.
Yes, you can toggle Dirac on and off without changing anything else.

Top Bottom