• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mini DSP2x4 HD Direc Live, or not.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I will almost certainly get a mini DSP2x4HD to be used for room EQ. What I'm interested in is if it is worth paying the extra for the DDRC-24 with Direc Live.

Given the 2x4 HD can run parametric equalisation (and other DSP?) - will the Direc Live addon bring anything extra to the party in terms of quality of the room EQ (rather than ease of use) compared with using REW?

I'd prefer the discussion to remain on the improvement Direc Live brings (for double the price) - rather than discussion on the capability of the Mini DSP hardware itself if possible.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dirac makes it so high resolution correction is possible on almost ANY hardware regardless of how weak it is.

For example the Dirac filter takes the processing power used to do FIR 2048 taps and 10 IIR filters and turns it into a 24000 taps filter.

So in terms of resolution alone, Dirac is higher for sure.

However I don't know whether that would definitively translate to real-life improvement.

If i'm starting my 'DSP career' now i would probably get an audio interface with like 8 channels of output or something and just use a computer as my processor.

I LOVE the MiniDSP 2x4 HD and i love the company and its software but the hardware is seriously outdated in 2021.

OP
antcollinet

antcollinet

Master Contributor
For clarification - I need the hardware DSP as I also want to have one analogue source corrected.

aedagnino

My 2c... I had the 2x4HD and then upgraded to Dirac... it was absolutely worthwhile! Dirac is a gamechanger, whether you're a newbie with no experience using DSP or a savant (of the non-idiot persuasion). I do agree that in terms of hardware it's outdated but the jury, I think, is still out there whether you'l be able to notice or not. What is pretty noticeable is the upgrade Dirac is.

OP
antcollinet

antcollinet

Master Contributor
What sources do you have? Are you doing just room EQ or are you also implementing any crossovers? Have you ever done any DSP before?

Michael
Turntable is the analogue input, USB from Mac is the other.

Currently no crossovers, but Sub integration at some future point is not out of the question.

OP
antcollinet

antcollinet

Master Contributor
audio interfaces usually have several analogue inputs.
True, but routing the turntable via the mac is clumsy, if for no other reason that I need to run an additional app to loop the input back to output.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
True, but routing the turntable via the mac is clumsy, if for no other reason that I need to run an additional app to loop the input back to output.
This wouldn't be an issue at all with most high-end audio interfaces, here is the Motu UltraLite-MkII with 22 outputs and 18 inputs (price is the same as DDRC-24).

1633616307683.png

OP
antcollinet

antcollinet

Master Contributor
That is looping back the computer output back into the computer isn't it? Internal to the device?

The issue is getting an analogue input into the mac, then through the DSP software then back out to Dac/Audio interface and then amp?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Turntable is the analogue input, USB from Mac is the other.

Currently no crossovers, but Sub integration at some future point is not out of the question.

As someone who started with miniDSP and has moved on to using software DSP with audio interfaces I think it probably makes sense to start with miniDSP if you have never done any DSP before. Software DSP is very powerful but setting it up is not trivial, especially if you need to integrate multiple sources.

I would also start with the 2X4HD and see how you get on. You can always upgrade it to a DDRC-24 down the line if you want.

MIchael

Godataloss

I had the MiniDSP HD without dirac and enjoyed the improvements the PEQs brought to the table. Then I purchased the SHD with Dirac and was truly blown away with how well it solved the bass suck out in my room.

holbob

I updated my 2x4 hd to a DDRC 24 in August. I basically did it to so I could claw my way out of the burrow, but unfortunately it hasn't really worked that way for me :facepalm: I'm not sure if the sound is better or not to be honest. I do think the sound is a bit "shouty" still. Drawback of being in a small uk lounge I guess. It cost me £140 to update it buying directly from minidsp so definitely worth the experiment. Not sure why people think it's outdated, what else is out there that does the same for the cost?

Godataloss

I updated my 2x4 hd to a DDRC 24 in August. I basically did it to so I could claw my way out of the burrow, but unfortunately it hasn't really worked that way for me :facepalm: I'm not sure if the sound is better or not to be honest. I do think the sound is a bit "shouty" still. Drawback of being in a small uk lounge I guess. It cost me £140 to update it buying directly from minidsp so definitely worth the experiment. Not sure why people think it's outdated, what else is out there that does the same for the cost?
Did you add a 'house curve' after you ran dirac?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@tonycollinet

where do you live? I might sell you my DDRC-24 for a reasonable price this way if you change your mind in the near or far future the planet would have less e-waste and you wouldn't have 'invested' too much into it.

OP
antcollinet

antcollinet

Master Contributor
@tonycollinet

where do you live? I might sell you my DDRC-24 for a reasonable price this way if you change your mind in the near or far future the planet would have less e-waste and you wouldn't have 'invested' too much into it.
Sorry - missed this post. I'm in UK.

That would be interesting, but I generally find my "price willingness" for second hand gear generally doesn't match well with that of the seller :)

(I don't pay more than 50% of new price for anything used)

Top Bottom