• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Miller & Kreisel S150 speaker review (by Erin)

Frgirard

Major Contributor
I asked is there something worrying which can be fixed with little eq and speakers placed optimally in treated room? I see lot of negative remarks for products if they don´t measure as good as Revels and then other people come calm down saying it really isn´t as bad as some make it look. I can´t understand all these measurements as good as you folks so i´m wondering are people over reacting here or not. :)
Not Revel! As good as Genelecs and Neumanns.
Why make weird when it's easy to do simple with good measurements and super good sound.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These are legendary speakers used by multiple studios and hollywood film makers. THX Ultra 2 rated. For hometheater use example with Dirac Live is there any real issues as these typically go in fully treated theater room optimally placed?

@hardisj "Some certainly use them in home theater applications." Some? Most people buy these for home theater with LCR 3-4meters from listeners. There is active version MPS2510P for nearfield use and also low depth version MP150 and finally IW150 for in-wall!

This is the loudspeaker...​

• This is the loudspeaker chosen for the first public demonstrations of the Blu-ray disc format
  • This is the loudspeaker chosen to create the very first Dolby EX 6.1 channel soundtrack
  • This is the loudspeaker chosen to create Blu-ray and DVD masters for Sony, MGM, TriStar, Columbia and many others
  • This is the loudspeaker chosen to record the complete Carl Nielsen symphonies with the New York Philharmonic Orchestra
  • This is the loudspeaker chosen for sound design for Star Wars Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith
  • This is the loudspeaker chosen to restore and remaster such film classics as Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz
  • This is the loudspeaker chosen chosen for sound production on Wall-E, Iron Man, King Kong, The Incredibles, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, Finding Nemo, Pirates Of The Caribbean, Chicago, Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, Black Hawk Down, Pearl Harbor, Lord of the Rings Fellowship of the Rings, Cast Away and many other major releases
And your point is? Legendary means they are well marketed. B&W 800 series are legendary. Are they well designed speakers compared to what we know now?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also if anyone believes a single loudspeaker model is used throughout the entire production chain of just about anything music or film related, they're kidding themselves.
But it is repeated multiple times and in bold! It must be true... :facepalm:

onion

I have these in my home theatre setup. I thought they were great until I got co-axial Genelecs for the music room. If I had the moolah, I’d redo the home theatre with Genelecs and sell the M&K

CinéHome BE

I have these in my home theatre setup. I thought they were great until I got co-axial Genelecs for the music room. If I had the moolah, I’d redo the home theatre with Genelecs and sell the M&K
Can you elaborate on the pricepoint and active/passive difference? Now your comment is rather vague. Thanks.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you stacked 10 of these with appropriate power shading it'd look like any other line array. I don't think it's the physical orientation of the drivers that's the issue.

CinéHome BE

Also if anyone believes a single loudspeaker model is used throughout the entire production chain of just about anything music or film related, they're kidding themselves.
True. I clearly remember Lucassound used M&K S150 in some larger mixing rooms and M&K 750 in the editing studio's. ;)
Sony's New headquarter in Los Angeles - built only a couple of years ago - has M&K all over the place. With 150 and 300 models in mixing and screening rooms.
And THX has a 300 system in their 'reference' room.
In many cases the active version of the S150 are (or were) used, the MPS2510P - now MPS2520P.

Last edited:

onion

Can you elaborate on the pricepoint and active/passive difference? Now your comment is rather vague. Thanks.
Vague as it is an entirely subjective assessment done without any measurements. I have IW300s which are a step-up from the 150s discussed here in terms of power. And I have Genelec 8341a with three subs in the music room. Both rooms have treatment and both systems have calibrated eq for the seated area. Both systems use Bacch4Mac. However the movie room is in an open-plan space with the kitchen, so not ideal.

The Genelec system has far greater clarity and separation of different instruments in the track. It has superior sound imaging as well but part of this is probably due to room factors. I can hear things in the music with the Genelec that I cannot hear with the M&K system. The fairest comparison would be to listen to the IW300s in the music room but they're in-wall so that's a no-go.

The Genelec system with subs is around 9k

I auditioned Steinway-Lyngdorf and Kii 3 - they were brilliant in their own way but neither could compete with the Genelec in my room for clarity

CinéHome BE

Thanks for your reply onion.
As you do mention some big names, and say they could not compete in clarity, are you not wondering they maybe competing in neutrality?

M&K 300 as In Walls could be tricky as they need to be positioned perfectly - concidering the 3 tweeters that can cancel each other out in the higher octaves.
Then there is the fact of (semi) full range (Genelec) versus THX specified (M&K) and active powered (Genelec) versus passive (M&K). Some say the S300 (or IW300) only come alive with huge power amps. And I would add, with the best subwoofer integration.

So although i believe you have reasons to prefer your Genelec setup, i wonder if there may be other reasons for it than a lack of quality in the IW300.

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
These are legendary speakers used by multiple studios and hollywood film makers. THX Ultra 2 rated. For hometheater use example with Dirac Live is there any real issues as these typically go in fully treated theater room optimally placed?

@hardisj "Some certainly use them in home theater applications." Some? Most people buy these for home theater with LCR 3-4meters from listeners. There is active version MPS2510P for nearfield use and also low depth version MP150 and finally IW150 for in-wall!

This is the loudspeaker...​

• This is the loudspeaker chosen for the first public demonstrations of the Blu-ray disc format
  • This is the loudspeaker chosen to create the very first Dolby EX 6.1 channel soundtrack
  • This is the loudspeaker chosen to create Blu-ray and DVD masters for Sony, MGM, TriStar, Columbia and many others
  • This is the loudspeaker chosen to record the complete Carl Nielsen symphonies with the New York Philharmonic Orchestra
  • This is the loudspeaker chosen for sound design for Star Wars Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith
  • This is the loudspeaker chosen to restore and remaster such film classics as Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz
  • This is the loudspeaker chosen chosen for sound production on Wall-E, Iron Man, King Kong, The Incredibles, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, Finding Nemo, Pirates Of The Caribbean, Chicago, Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, Black Hawk Down, Pearl Harbor, Lord of the Rings Fellowship of the Rings, Cast Away and many other major releases
those used what for post sound editing or in tiny room for near field . no not the actual like JBL professional PA cinema speakers so what's heard on final mix dub stage should be what is heard at the THX cinema . so all those movies mixed on m&k s150 lmao and yet played back on JBL professional cinema PA at regular cinema and THX cinema , please .
m&k s150 hype and overpriced at single speaker that size when many more may beat it . plus i never liked the tweeters all down one side looks off-putting for LCR

Andysu

Major Contributor
" these are not marketing bs "

can anyone see what is wrong with cabinet and speakers

354054418_581101724160310_7127505158188092265_n.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom