• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Milind Kunchur Blind Cable Test

SoundGuy

Most of the high end interconnects are RCA garbage. I mean why would anyone who cares about audio quality use a crippled audio system with cheap RCA connections when balanced pro level XLR is widely available. Cheap RCA consumer grade connections with $500 special cables…lol - yeah like I need F1 tires on a tractor…

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Most of the high end interconnects are RCA garbage. I mean why would anyone who cares about audio quality use a crippled audio system with cheap RCA connections when balanced pro level XLR is widely available. Cheap RCA consumer grade connections with $500 special cables…lol - yeah like I need F1 tires on a tractor…
Thank you. Couldn't have said it better.

Pablo27

If only there were a simple way of somehow testing these hypothesis (possibly involving a blindfold of some kind). I suppose it will just have to remain one of the universes great mysteries.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Scientists find mesurable differences in cables???

Oh, no! Since when? 18xx?

Mabye thats why we use coax for high frequences?

That scientists always amazing. ;)

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
I think the biggest problem is that the metaphorical, very expensive F1 tires are actually indistinguishable in all practical terms beyond the purely cosmetic from your tractor tires.

(Of course real F1 tires actually do something important....)

archerious

You new Thread was merged with this existing thread since it’s discussing the same study. Enjoy! ;)
It's actually two different studies, but it's from the same quack, so fair enough :D.

The study this thread is on: http://boson.physics.sc.edu/~kunchur/papers/Audibility-of-cable-pathways--Kunchur.pdf

Study Jay's video is on: http://boson.physics.sc.edu/~kunchur/papers/Interconnect-cable-measurements--Kunchur.pdf

It seems there was another thread on yet another study from Kunchur: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/milind-kunchur.522/ and http://boson.physics.sc.edu/~kunchur/papers/HIFI-Critic-article-by-George-Foster.pdf

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the biggest problem is that the metaphorical, very expensive F1 tires are actually indistinguishable in all practical terms beyond the purely cosmetic from your tractor tires.

(Of course real F1 tires actually do something important....)
What's more important than tires that help feed the world? Certainly not F1.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Sort of, but I was thinking of measurable differences within the audio band. I recently used a VNA to measure sub-milli-ohm impedances on a power plane and the same technique would work to characterize an audio cable. Of course, spending a few $k on a high-res DMM would be enough to measure DC differences, vs. spending $100k+ on a fancy VNA... And to measure through the cable you need a four-port VNA; the one I used runs a few hundred $k and ours does not have the LF option that would reach down to audio (a $75k option to a $300k+ VNA, such a deal). We may get the option for work needs; don't tell my boss it would also make it a cool audio analyzer. ;)

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If only there were a simple way of somehow testing these hypothesis (possibly involving a blindfold of some kind). I suppose it will just have to remain one of the universes great mysteries.
He used blind listening trials in his experiments.

I wonder who AES is getting to peer review his work.

Somafunk

Major Contributor

Somafunk

Major Contributor

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning

something salary, something dependent, something something not understanding

Exactly, I just couldn't help but express my sadness that someone that was once an objectivist has became this lost.

Jay was one of the few that exposed me to better class D options back in 2019/2020, how time changes a person.

What, youtuber selling out their morality for $$$? Never happened once in the history of mankind!

MarkS

Major Contributor
I wonder who or what is funding this research.
The papers contain no acknowledgment of funding. He likely already had the equipment, and is doing it on his own time.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd be interested in seeing how many people could go into a room...listen to a system connected by cheap cables, then leave the room and go back an hour later and listen again and determine by ear if better cables were now being used. I mean that's the actual way audiophiles draw their conclusions.
I'd be very interested in seeing the results of that EXCEPT with the listener(s) not knowing if the cables had been changed or not. Repeat, repeat. Audiophiles (including me) don't do blind tests because...it's hard! And time consuming! And personally I have too many surround discs I haven't even listened to, I want to hear the music not futz around trying to do tests which, unless truly blind, are NOT scientific evidence of anything at all.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like the AES is changing. Science, for the general population is becoming personal mythology and corrupted by woke. Proof is not necessary, just a strong belief. For example, genetics don't define male/female anymore. We've all seen the proof on many audiophile sites. Look at the difference in Scientific America in 40years.
Yes, strong horse-blinder belief = truth. Knowing a lot of public school teachers, that's not going to get fixed any time soon if ever :( As for genetics, it's turning out a lot of genetic stuff is not determined just by the genes but also by environmental factors. And I think the vast number of toxins in the environment have a lot to do with this. Male/female, that's a mountain out of a mole-hill, nothing new here versus the last thousands of years. But I don't get the Scientific American thing-what's the meaning of the links? It IS funny one of the article titles is "

Disorders of the Human Brain​

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, strong horse-blinder belief = truth. Knowing a lot of public school teachers, that's not going to get fixed any time soon if ever :( As for genetics, it's turning out a lot of genetic stuff is not determined just by the genes but also by environmental factors. And I think the vast number of toxins in the environment have a lot to do with this. Male/female, that's a mountain out of a mole-hill, nothing new here versus the last thousands of years. But I don't get the Scientific American thing-what's the meaning of the links? It IS funny one of the article titles is "

Disorders of the Human Brain​

Epigenetic effects are interesting and no one saw it coming. Basically the one version is the particular environment your grandparents lived in can have epigenetic effects upon you. So the environment effects you even if it isn't your environment.

Top Bottom