• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Might move to Japan.

day7a1

Forum Donor
So I graduate with my Master's this semester. As a grad/xmas present to myself I'm getting the audio system that I want. But then I realized that Japan works on 100V.

I've dealt with 220V before and most equipment either has a switch on it or specifies 110 vs. 220. But NOTHING says 100-110V.

I'm looking to get a miniDSP SHD> Custom NC400 and Hsu active subs...of course the M105s don't care about mains voltage.

I know transformers are an option for a lot of things, but audio can be finicky. Maybe the one time a power conditioner actually makes sense?

I'd like to know if this is a concern for my future ability to use/purchase or if it's not talked about because it's not an issue. I've been over there before but didn't really have anything at the time other than clothes and a laptop.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Most modern SMPS powered gear will happily run from 100-240V and auto switch to suit the mains supply. Much modern HiFi uses this approach and the rear panel compliance stickers/badges will show the ranges they operate on.

Proper HiFi with transformers obviously requires appropriate tappings to suit the country's voltage and frequency. Japan has two frequencies AFAIK, 50 and 60Hz, but whether that is an issue in this day and age, I doubt it. Back in the day with motor driven (synchronous) turntables, tape decks etc it was an issue.

Also, previously, all gear sold in the Japan home market had to be fixed 100V with no facility for voltage adjustment. It was to prevent (ironically) subsidized exports coming back into the country as grey-market products and competing with their artificially price maintained home market gear. That was the 70s and 80s. I doubt that would be the case these days.

100V Japanese transformer based gear is not suitable for connection to 110/120V US mains directly, even though some people do it.

All I know is you are going to get to see some absolutely awesome gear and want to buy it all! Have fun.

OP
day7a1

day7a1

Forum Donor
100V Japanese transformer based gear is not suitable for connection to 110/120V US mains directly,

It is unlikely I will buy gear in Japan. Speakers, maybe, but I don't have to tell you why that isn't a concern! I will likely spend 2-3 years there, though I guess it's possible I could stay there the full 10 or even 20, by which time I'd be ready to retire. For the time being, I'm expecting 2-3.

The SMPS power supplies do auto switch between 110 and 240...but the datasheets don't mention 100. Also, that's part of why I want to go with the custom route. It looks like OEM users of Ncore gear don't grant the same flexibility, or at least don't advertise it.

The miniDSP does say minimum 95V, so I'm good there. Just not 100% about the subs or SMPS.

Eirikur

For example Hypex (SMPS600N400) claim 230V/115V in the generic overview, but the detailed documentation shows ranges 200-240 and 100-120, both +/- 10%. Frequency ranges from 47-63 Hz.
Makes sense to me, that way they cover the whole world in all its inconsistent glory.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The SMPS power supplies do auto switch between 110 and 240...but the datasheets don't mention 100.
It doesn't matter. The SMPS converts that to DC, back to AC and then DC with a feedback loop to generate the target voltage.

From regulatory point of view, often limits are put in so that they don't have to spend more money testing other configurations.

OP
day7a1

day7a1

Forum Donor
Ah, I see it now. I sent a message to Hsu. I'll report when I hear back, but I'm guessing that that 10V isn't going to be a concern for something that already has a 110V range of operating conditions.

Probably similar power supply design as the SMPS. I'm pretty well rounded, but electronics are my weak spot for sure.

I have to say that it's nice that the equipment will be able to traverse the world without the need for a transformer.

OP
day7a1

day7a1

Forum Donor
Hsu Research said that the powered subwoofers will "work well" at that voltage. I thought that was a funny wording, but I guess they wanted to make sure there was no concerns.

Almost makes it sound like US voltage is a bit too much...

Timbo2

Proper HiFi with transformers obviously requires appropriate tappings to suit the country's voltage and frequency. Japan has two frequencies AFAIK, 50 and 60Hz, but whether that is an issue in this day and age, I doubt it. Back in the day with motor driven (synchronous) turntables, tape decks etc it was an issue.

Japan still uses both 50Hz and 60Hz. I scratched my head when I first read about it.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2011/07/19/reference/japans-incompatible-power-grids/

mannye

It is unlikely I will buy gear in Japan. Speakers, maybe, but I don't have to tell you why that isn't a concern! I will likely spend 2-3 years there, though I guess it's possible I could stay there the full 10 or even 20, by which time I'd be ready to retire. For the time being, I'm expecting 2-3.

The SMPS power supplies do auto switch between 110 and 240...but the datasheets don't mention 100. Also, that's part of why I want to go with the custom route. It looks like OEM users of Ncore gear don't grant the same flexibility, or at least don't advertise it.

The miniDSP does say minimum 95V, so I'm good there. Just not 100% about the subs or SMPS.

I would ask where in Japan you are going to be moving because I think in Tokyo there are clubs where you can go listen to ridiculously good systems while enjoying a drink.

This is just one of them. I love the concept. At the end of this one, check out Shelter...

Last edited:
OP
day7a1

day7a1

Forum Donor

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
day7a1

day7a1

Forum Donor
The Hypex modules have mains auto-switching.

Yeah, they said the option to choose on the website is a mistake. It's probably which cable they send.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
No concern if only difference is 120/110V.
But I remember there are regional difference is frequency? (iirc) That might be an issue for transformers and motors that rely on city power frequency. Other than that, you should be alright.

mbomberdavid

I thought i would stay 2-3 too, but it is nearly 23 years. The apartments are usually small and the outlets mostly have 2 prongs or receptacles(?) instead of 3. It is easy to get adapters here and even step up/down transformers if you need them.

Top Bottom