• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Midnight Listening

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anyone know of a neutral measured speaker that sounds real good for low volume listening? I have noticed that V-shaped (very) sounds real good at low volume levels. Is it possible for neutral measured speakers and equipments to sound any good at low volumes (~55db - 65db at listening position) taking into account that human hearing is way less susceptible to both the far ends of the frequency range?

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
It might be a better idea to get an amp or preamp with (variable) loudness control instead of buying flawed speakers. For example look at the Yahama A-S301. You could also implement this in software/DSP.

e: Or look at the RME ADI-2 DAC https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dac_e.pdf

Last edited:

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
I listen to my KEF R3s/SVS 3000 Micro subs at low volume at night. I use the remote to bump up bass response a tad to my taste.
YMMV but it works for me.

I did similar with LS50s and KEF Kube… have fun and enjoy!!

VMAT4

Forum Donor
After midnight I let my headphones let it all hangout.

LApstrE

High sensitivity speakers with Parametric EQ based on what I'm reading. I've been chasing the same dream.

Grumpish

Does anyone know of a neutral measured speaker that sounds real good for low volume listening? I have noticed that V-shaped (very) sounds real good at low volume levels. Is it possible for neutral measured speakers and equipments to sound any good at low volumes (~55db - 65db at listening position) taking into account that human hearing is way less susceptible to both the far ends of the frequency range?

Get some good open back headphones.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Right.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

I recommend neutral speakers and loudness compensation. You don't want v-shaped speakers because you can never turn that off.

OP
M

MarkWinston

Went to my brother in laws house last night and his small Klipschs sounded real good at very low listening levels with no eq or tone controls touched. I know for a fact that his Klipschs are nowhere near neutral, my neutral Diamond 12.2s sounds unimpressive at the same levels. Its a totally different story when both are turned up though.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, that is going in the right direction, but they become too much when cranked up. At high levels, you want them to flatten out. You can only do that if using loudness compensation, Dynamic EQ, etc.

Wseaton

I have the same issue. Smallish condo and a desire to not rattle walls at 1am. My computer is not my AV source so DSP is out of the question. I hate headphones because they irritate my ears after awhile.

Our ears have different tonal sensitivities at different volume levels and this causes the aggravation.

Most direct solution is an AV receiver with EQ presets, parametric or otherwise. Problem solved. EQs though seem to be out of style , or we are forced to muddle through room correction circuitry.

I would love to see a DAC/sound processor that had a built in tool box to do these kind of things along with a legit dialog enhancer that actually worked. Take the center channel and apply it to its own parametric level and allow it to be dynamically adjusted. With all kinds of stream sources and variable mixing going on we need a DSP that can push dialogue to the front at lowe volume levels regardless of the source.

Horn loaded speakers are clearly my fav for low volumes. Contrary to pop culture audiophile preferences I find Klipsch at their best for lower volumes and ribbon / planar better cranked up..

Top Bottom