• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mid-range open-back headphone suggestions

Creme_Brulee

I'm looking to buy open-back headphones to experience a better soundstage and overall sound. I don't have much experience with headphones so I'm not entirely sure what characteristics I should look for the most.

I mostly listen to synthwave, and 70-80's rock, and play videogames when I have the time. Currently own an ATH-M50X pair and I'm satisfied with them (recently swapped the earpads to microsuede after 2 years, damn PU leather flaking off), had a cheap no-name Bluetooth pair previously.

The cans that have attracted me the most so far have been the 6xx, Fidelio X2HR, and Sundaras; the first two of which I was a bit unsure about due to somewhat low bass (pretty sure synthwave is a bit bassy...) and the last one while it seemed really good it might not be worth taking the QA lottery, if that's still an issue?
I could stretch my budget to about 350€ maybe more (just for the headphones) if I'm sure to get years of use and good build quality out of them.
I live in the EU so expensive customs could be a deciding factor.

Cheers.

Mei

Hd 560 more bass than the 6 series, Sundara is great i own bot depends on the sound signature you like. I use the 560 more than the Sundara . Also the Edifier Stax S3 . I have not heard the Phillips.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you’re looking for 300 Euros or less than the Sennheiser HD560s would be a good candidate. I would say if you want to venture into planars, then try the HE400se which in my opinion are almost faultless compared to the Sundaras.

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm looking to buy open-back headphones to experience a better soundstage and overall sound. I don't have much experience with headphones so I'm not entirely sure what characteristics I should look for the most.

I mostly listen to synthwave, and 70-80's rock, and play videogames when I have the time. Currently own an ATH-M50X pair and I'm satisfied with them (recently swapped the earpads to microsuede after 2 years, damn PU leather flaking off), had a cheap no-name Bluetooth pair previously.

The cans that have attracted me the most so far have been the 6xx, Fidelio X2HR, and Sundaras; the first two of which I was a bit unsure about due to somewhat low bass (pretty sure synthwave is a bit bassy...) and the last one while it seemed really good it might not be worth taking the QA lottery, if that's still an issue?
I could stretch my budget to about 350€ maybe more (just for the headphones) if I'm sure to get years of use and good build quality out of them.
I live in the EU so expensive customs could be a deciding factor.

Cheers.
If you're happy with your current Audio-Technicas, perhaps the ATH-R70x is worth a listen?

OP
C

Creme_Brulee

Thanks all for the replies.

Hd 560 more bass than the 6 series, Sundara is great i own bot depends on the sound signature you like. I use the 560 more than the Sundara . Also the Edifier Stax S3 . I have not heard the Phillips.
The Stax seems interesting, but I'd prefer wired only.

If you’re looking for 300 Euros or less than the Sennheiser HD560s would be a good candidate. I would say if you want to venture into planars, then try the HE400se which in my opinion are almost faultless compared to the Sundaras.
What faults do the Sundaras have?

Beyerdynamic DT880 and AKG K612.
The DT880 seems very good but making cables non-swappable feels like a pretty shortsighted decision on their part...then again I've never had an issue with cables so far. Any good reason why some models do this?
Also are AKGs as fragile as they look?

If you're happy with your current Audio-Technicas, perhaps the ATH-R70x is worth a listen?

These seem too pricey for their performance, which is a shame because aesthetically they're very nice, although that's not the most important feature.

OP
C

Creme_Brulee

You know what, having read a few more different reviews, those R70X don't seem as bad as that link makes them seem after all. And I'm finding them for 315€ at Thomann which seems like an excellent store. The extra long cables could be useful while I'm using my steering wheel controller (they certainly come in handy on the M50X, I just keep the excess tied up).

I'll give them a shot, if I don't like them I'll return them and try something else.

isostasy

You're not entirely clear on what your expected bass response is other than indicating that the 6XX and Fidelio X2HR might be too 'low'. The thing is, you're looking at open backs which will all show lower bass than the Harman target.

If you want a decent bass boost I don't think this is the area that should help you decide between these different models.

My suggestion would be to use EQ to add the bass boost you want and then decide on other factors.

markanini

Major Contributor
I've had pretty good luck EQing AKG K612 to have harman bass. But there's something gratifying in how closed backs reproduce low pitch sounds IMO. If you care about that consider AKG K371 as a good upgrade to AT M50x.

Liberte

The DT1990 are semi-open and have good quality bass while still sounding airy and detailed. They're also easy to drive and very well built, with fully replaceable parts. They are geared towards studio use so you may hear the flaws in some of that 70s rock but I find them very enjoyable with bassy electronic music like synthwave.

D

Deleted member 60987

You might like Samson SR850, Philips 9500 or Superlux 668B for warm open back.

Dazerdoreal

You're not entirely clear on what your expected bass response is other than indicating that the 6XX and Fidelio X2HR might be too 'low'. The thing is, you're looking at open backs which will all show lower bass than the Harman target.
Not true anymore: Fiio FT3.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto_2023-05-18_14-53-09.png
    Bildschirmfoto_2023-05-18_14-53-09.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 100

Dazerdoreal

Contemplating buying an FT3.
Great, I am interested in your bass distortion measurements. :D I also dont own one yet.

By the way, as you are into modding: "Pleather pads with added foam" looks like it might have potential.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto_2023-05-18_17-24-05.png
    Bildschirmfoto_2023-05-18_17-24-05.png
    97.4 KB · Views: 63

joseG86

I could recommend Bose QC35 II used, you could get it for less than $150 and they sound surprisingly good for that kind of music and you won't need a dac/amp

(They sound like open-back yet they are closed and you get nothing from the outside with its noise cancellation features)

Leiker535

With the genres you mentioned, I find that warm headphones with a little bass bleed (200hz region, the thump and body of drums and bass; rock seldom has much sub activity, specially if you do vinyl) and decayed treble works best (lest percussion becomes fatiguing), so the FiiO FT3 is a good bet. Alternatively, the HD650/6XX, which is more neutral. Around your budget you could also consider the Harmodyne Zeus for a more colored listening.

1684431971949.png

MrNice13

I could recommend Bose QC35 II used, you could get it for less than $150 and they sound surprisingly good for that kind of music and you won't need a dac/amp

(They sound like open-back yet they are closed and you get nothing from the outside with its noise cancellation features)
worst cans ever dude Koss make better phones than high end Boses..

Top Bottom