• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mid-range open-back headphone suggestions

AVKS

I'm looking to buy open-back headphones to experience a better soundstage and overall sound. I don't have much experience with headphones so I'm not entirely sure what characteristics I should look for the most.

I mostly listen to synthwave, and 70-80's rock, and play videogames when I have the time. Currently own an ATH-M50X pair and I'm satisfied with them (recently swapped the earpads to microsuede after 2 years, damn PU leather flaking off), had a cheap no-name Bluetooth pair previously.

The cans that have attracted me the most so far have been the 6xx, Fidelio X2HR, and Sundaras; the first two of which I was a bit unsure about due to somewhat low bass (pretty sure synthwave is a bit bassy...) and the last one while it seemed really good it might not be worth taking the QA lottery, if that's still an issue?
I could stretch my budget to about 350€ maybe more (just for the headphones) if I'm sure to get years of use and good build quality out of them.
I live in the EU so expensive customs could be a deciding factor.

Cheers.
Keep an eye out for a used pair of Hifiman HE-500s. They are long discontinued but may be right up your alley.

Dual1Ty..

Around that price you can look up to get a second hand pair of sennheiser hd700. They are exceptionally detailed with a wide soundstage and very tight bass. And if you play games you will be blown away how get these are.

Also they are the most comfortable headphones I ever worn.

Top Bottom