• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Microsoft's plan to store data for 10,000 years - YouTube

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
What will anyone do with it in 10,000 years?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like one of the better options for such I've seen so far. The big obvious problem is breakage. Glass is brittle. In most other respects it looks like a good choice.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Technology was invented a few years back. And a number of outfits are working on it. So Microsoft is not the sole researcher on it.

They all run to the film studios as they think that is a sexy application. Archiving all that film on digital though is super expensive as you have to scan and clean it up first. With little revenue behind old titles these days, the motivation is not there to do the copying unless they can talk a company like Microsoft into paying for it for some PR. The slow write rate of this media makes it even more expensive to do.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ah in ten thousand years people can still read about how @amirm failed to invent the iPod and his infamous internal emails ..
Don't remind me of how old I am. There are posts from me dating back to 1980s! Here is an example I just found:

1581235440836.png

Someone had uploaded an email I sent them even earlier than this but can't find it anymore.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Don't remind me of how old I am. There are posts from me dating back to 1980s! Here is an example I just found:

View attachment 49289

Someone had uploaded an email I sent them even earlier than this but can't find it anymore.
Life was simpler in CGA/EGA.

Top Bottom