• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Microsoft | Windows 10 | Apps | Skype ... All Latest News

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
You had zero issues, ever with Windows 10.

Nothing comes to mind at the moment.

Your PC is always working perfectly without any zip small inconveniences?

There seems to be a slowness in resolving an address in Chrome when ipv6 is enabled, so I disabled ipV6 on the NIC.

That's the only issue I have at the moment.

This latest Update has been butter smooth for you and your computer?

I don't know what the current update is.

Whenever it bugs me to update I delay it until it can't be delayed any more, or I accidentally let it update.

There are always revisions as they work out the bugs the early adopters discover.

Older versions apparently get some necessary updates.

Currently Running: Version 1909 OS Build 18363.778 on this machine, an April 24 update.

What's the most current? Version 2004 OS Build 19041.331 around June 18.

I can wait. I'm in no hurry.

1592785199488.png

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Ray, when main version 1909 was downloading on your machine (PC or laptop?), do you remember roughly how long it took?
And how many cores, how much RAM, and hard or solid state drive?

* I'm the same; I wait till the very last moment to update.
And I know others who update as soon as they become available for insiders.
Usually they have better systems (top PCs and laptops), and more computer experience too.

Windows 10 is in many machines now across the globe, and none of them is exactly like another one. They are all unique, just like people.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Ray, when main version 1909 was downloading on your machine (PC or laptop?), do you remember roughly how long it took?

No idea. It occurred in the background.

The reboot/installation may have taken a while.

If it looks like it will I go away and come back later.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Yes because it normally shots down more than once during the main update.
Mine was during daytime while I was surveying the progress and timing it.
_____

In the first tableau below you are in red (OS version), I am in Blue (small circles)...1909
And our two Microsoft Insiders can tell us where they are from the next four tableaux ...

20200621_182746.jpg

20200621_182829.jpg

20200621_182907.jpg

20200621_183014.jpg

20200621_183050.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I block my Win10 updates on my main machine for usually a year or so, sometimes longer. All the other machines on my network get updates and I've had no problems in general with Win10. I really don't enjoy the OS, it's full of inherent bugs, but it works reasonably well.

Windows 7 was an all over better OS for me. My second PC at the lab bench is a Win7 machine and it's just a joy of an OS.

Winaero Tweaker will stop your updates or do what I do, block at a router level the MS update servers. That is the most effective.

Mine is currently this version:
1601620327992.png

Love the 2004. Maybe it's going to be an XP retro feature update!
1601620443716.png

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I never update till the very last day; and I don't even do it...Windows 10 do it automatically when the time is up. I don't bother with nonessential things in life...all that it matters is living healthy, free, in peace, no worries, happy, and wealthy.

But I sure was surprised to read about SSD drives having their limits too.

Tks

Major Contributor
I never update till the very last day; and I don't even do it...Windows 10 do it automatically when the time is up. I don't bother with nonessential things in life...all that it matters is living healthy, free, in peace, no worries, happy, and wealthy.

But I sure was surprised to read about SSD drives having their limits too.

Oh for sure, especially with the NvME spec, the heat produced isn't all that desirable (not desirable at all at least for the memory controller, though the NAND cells themselves actually thrive on high temperatures)

NAND in general fails due to writes, but if all you do is mostly read operations, they should last an eternity.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a win 10 insider and am always running the latest build which is the 20206 mentioned above, but have no MVE drives. Win 10 rocks.

Ditto, I got my 6th year anniversary e-mail yesterday.

1601639649127.png

I have both NVMe and SATA SSDs in my system (Samsung EVO 970 and Cruciual MX500). The software that comes with the drives says that they are both in perfect health.

Top Bottom