• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Microsoft Surface Pro 2017 SP5 went kaput

Tom C

Major Contributor
Listening to Qobuz the other day, stream suddenly failed, got error message, had to reboot, tried step one, then two, then three. Finally got to “send in for service.” Who are they kidding? This is quite effectively, most deliberately and most certainly designed specifically to be not repairable.
So, would like to repurpose. Tried Ubuntu. Would attempt to load to point of selecting language and choice of install vs. trial. Won’t let me use usb mouse, or usb keyboard, or bluetooth mouse, so can’t select option and can’t progress. I’d really like to use this for streaming. Screen is nice, battery, power supply and hard drive are still good or I couldn’t have loaded Ubuntu to the point it did. I think Microsoft has locked the drivers out for this kind of attempt, since I can boot to UEFI and select different options by touch in BIOS.

Q: has anyone been able to overcome this problem?

I will never buy Microsoft hardware again. One of the most frustrating buyer experiences I’ve ever had, since day 1.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Who are they kidding? This is quite effectively, most deliberately and most certainly designed specifically to be not repairable. I will never buy Microsoft hardware again. One of the most frustrating buyer experiences I’ve ever had, since day 1.
You sort of have to be reasonable, given what you have. When the 2017 came out, Ars Technica quipped that it was mostly 'made of glue'. That's what you were paying for back then--a super slim and lightweight tablety sort of computer. I don't think you can really blame MS for the fact that it's not user serviceable. Like a lot of portable chip based devices, such as cell phones, it's just the way they make them.

My view, FWIW, is that if you can get five years out of something made of glue, you should consider yourself lucky.

OP
Tom C

Tom C

Major Contributor
Points well taken. However, it is quite possible to make something like this with fasteners instead of glue. Or use glue, but design the unit to be serviceable. As you say, I was aware when I bought it, but was never satisfied with the performance of the product. It is positioned as a premium product, at a premium price, but for me didn’t deliver.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Points well taken. However, it is quite possible to make something like this with fasteners instead of glue. Or use glue, but design the unit to be serviceable. As you say, I was aware when I bought it, but was never satisfied with the performance of the product. It is positioned as a premium product, at a premium price, but for me didn’t deliver.
I don't really like the idea of unserviceable items, but most of these things are just stamped out circuit boards, and it's not like they will ever have discrete components that can be replaced, given their form factor.

But even a desktop machine is compromised after five years. My five year old machine has replaceable components that are no longer made--for example an Nvidia GTX 1070 graphics card that will be four generations old when their new 40 series comes out this year. If my card goes south, it will probably not be worth trying to upgrade the machine. I'll just pull the card, and use it as a music server or something. Buy a new PC with better overall specs, and hope it lasts another five years.

Paper thin tablets are simply throw away once they act up. It's a shame if their capability is all you need. But that's the way it is. I think with a lot of consumer devices we're on five year plans, like the old Soviet system! :)

OP
Tom C

Tom C

Major Contributor
Hmm…..rollover and play dead. Or speak up. Every man must make his choice.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm…..rollover and play dead. Or speak up. Every man must make his choice.
It's the same as if you don't like the color of the asphalt in the parking lot. You can stand in the parking space and yell at it because it's black and not green. But it won't do either you or the parking lot any good.

I've mentioned this before-- Dynaco has been out of business for thirty or forty years, maybe longer. But if my Dyna's go south, I can fix them tomorrow, in my spare time and on my kitchen table. If my AHB2 or DAC3 stops working, and if Benchmark ever goes out of business, they are just paperweights.

And this is called progress.

Top Bottom