• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Microsoft problem advice from Aussie 'spook' agency.

Tks

Major Contributor
I really can't fathom why so many enterprise level companies bother with this piece of shit OS anymore and it's security hole ridden nonsense.

Like what level of shit will need to come to the surface for them to burn this bridge already..

digicidal

Major Contributor
Like what level of shit will need to come to the surface for them to burn this bridge already..
I keep thinking the same thing about Facebook. :p Same issues exist in both... for knowledgeable users it's not as much of an issue. Who in their right mind would have any Windows machine directly connected to the Internet at all... especially with RDP or SMB exposed? (Yeah I know... way more than I'd like to admit). How many people would post compromising personal information on social media? (Same group probably).

The problem is, who is going to handle the support for all users (with extensive Windows experience) when they simultaneously fill their pants upon starting their Linux workstations for the first time? It's not going to be me... that's for sure. Luckily, a slow progression towards browser based applications and cloud deployments in general will eliminate much of this eventually.

Of course, then there's the problem of cloud provisioning and the security problems inherent in many implementations. Nothing is simple.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem is, at least for an engineer like me that need to do real work, we often rely on software that runs only on Windows. Guess what the Audio Precision software used to analyze and produce all the test results here runs exclusively on?

digicidal

Major Contributor
The problem is, at least for an engineer like me that need to do real work, we often rely on software that runs only on Windows. Guess what the Audio Precision software used to analyze and produce all the test results here runs exclusively on?
Exactly, and virtualization/containerization only gets you so far before it starts becoming more of a burden than a blessing. IME at least (but it is getting better). At least hardware abstraction is maturing fairly rapidly... so in a few years maybe we can all truly operate in an OS agnostic environment.

Reactions: NTK
Top Bottom