• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Microsoft is kinda cool to let it happen

momo7G

100s of Microsoft interns dance and sing about the company they're working in. I guess this is not going to happen back in Bill and Balmer days.

@amirm perhaps it brings you back some memories??

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
100s of Microsoft interns dance and sing about the company they're working in. I guess this is not going to happen back in Bill and Balmer days.

All wearing primary colours and no one's got a clue what's going on least of all cares as long as the cheques keep clearing... yes @amirm will no doubt recognise this.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can they bring back Steve B. for the 'monkey dance'? Developers, Developers, Developers...

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
puke-icon-3.jpg

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Must be a millennial theatre minor/major thing:

Wombat

Master Contributor
I'd rather have a gallon of cider hangover than watch that again, I say again, I only got a minute in the first time.

I've seen the fun police forcing this sort of horror show on the innocent at companies I've worked for, shudder.

I came across this sort of thing once and guess what? The manager of the group was still a boy scout leader and in his mid-forties. QED.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

It doesn't as none of the buildings are the same ones I worked at. Shame they didn't bring Bill in to play the Barista.

Bill was a huge champion of interns though. Every year when their term would finish, he would have a party at his house and invite them all to great dinner and chats with him. The VP from their division would get invited and as such, I went to a couple of them. It was really great to see the eyes light up on all the interns to meet Bill and chat with him. It made for a great impression and I am sure increased the hire rate. It was a big imposition to have 100 to 200 people go to his house, walk through it all to the waterfront and have the party.

The above is one of my fondest memories of being at Microsoft. It did some things well.

As to the video, I don't know that the musical theater is what appeals to interns. It was however better produced than all the Microsoft ads I see on TV.

Internal production group would create really fund videos for company's yearly employee meetings. This one stands out, making fun of Sun Microsystems which was making computers competitive to PCs at the time, using a parody of VW commercial. I found one copy online with horrible quality so not sure it conveys what it was about:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Makes me wonder what The End Of Civilization will look like.

And I didn't even watch it, just looked at the picture.

phrosty

Forum Donor
It doesn't as none of the buildings are the same ones I worked at.
I mean there are like 150 buildings, it's hard to know them all :). I think only area I recognized was the fountain between 16/18 at the end.

L5730

I think I am going to throw up!

Something feels like this should be washed out colour, if not black and white, 1960s spangly US commercial style.
It feels like they ripped off a commercial and made it longer.

What could make it worse is if this played whilst the latest update was installing - now that really would be infuriating!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What could make it worse is if this played whilst the latest update was installing - now that really would be infuriating!

With a run time of ten minutes and 50 seconds it would be about right for a minor update.

L5730

With a run time of ten minutes and 50 seconds it would be about right for a minor update.
Oh you! :p

Not on our Notebook it won't take just 10 minutes!
It's on v1709, network devices disabled. I've got it dual booting with Linux Mint XFCE 18.3, which is the normal OS choice from the Grub boot loader. I had to pop into Windows on it the other day, just to check some things out, oh my days! Booting seemed to take longer than making a slow cup of coffee. Finally, it let me see a desktop, and stuff was still happening in the tray. This is an Intel N3710/4GB RAM system on a WD 5400rpm drive, but still. Linux is actually very snappy in comparison.

Neddy

It doesn't as none of the buildings are the same ones I worked at. Shame they didn't bring Bill in to play the Barista.

Bill was a huge champion of interns though. Every year when their term would finish, he would have a party at his house and invite them all to great dinner and chats with him. The VP from their division would get invited and as such, I went to a couple of them. It was really great to see the eyes light up on all the interns to meet Bill and chat with him. It made for a great impression and I am sure increased the hire rate. It was a big imposition to have 100 to 200 people go to his house, walk through it all to the waterfront and have the party.

The above company, ETC, (so I heard) supplied the lighting and control gear for that house, uhm, 20+ years ago?
Wuz a pretty big deal at the time. Does he still live there?

PS. Totally agree on interns - I hired as many as I could find, worked them really hard, but also paid them really well.
The fresh insight, energy, and viewpoints were invaluable - at least for the ones who weren't cowed by the corporate culture.

Top Bottom