• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Microsoft 'Confirms' Windows 7 New Monthly Charge

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is interesting that 40% of MS OS users have stayed with Win 7. Add those who got Win 10 by default on new computers because Win 7 wasn't an option and those who were brow-beaten into taking the free Win 10 upgrade. It seems that consumers weren't enthused about the 'upgrade' to Win 10.

How many of us have perfectly good electronic devices that are rendered useless by lack of driver support for subsequent MS OS releases?

I've just 'downgraded' my workshop PC from W10 to W7 for just that reason. I use an old Lexicon USB interface for measurements and as a remote PC for outside broadcasts, but Lexicon's drivers are only supported for W7. They sort of work on W10, but pretty flakey. The Lexicon box does exactly what I need, so I would replace it with reluctance. This is true I think with many items of Broadcast audio kit which are expected to work for 20-25 years. I even have an XP machine with a PCMCIA audio card I won't get rid of as the Digigram card is superb, albeit what cost me several hundred pounds 20 years ago can be had for pennies now. Why should stuff have to thrown away just because it's old?

S

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Why should stuff have to thrown away just because it's old?

It shouldn't. Consider your computers and some of the classic old-girls (early Thinkpads/Tecras/Satellites/Inspirons) in my collection- they work just as well as the day they were made. Just as fast as they were when some IT department paid several thousand dollars for them.

But then again, I'm a restorer, a sucker for quality gear that was built properly and surely, I will become a refuge for all sorts of vintage gear down the track... :)

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For the general ordinary public, the Home version of Windows 10 is unusable on lower end hardware. Due to the forced upgrades and lack of reasonable way to turn them off. It's not me, it's everyone I speak to - they all use their phone (android/apple) or a Chrome Book or Mac. Windows is something that is on a device that's in a cupboard for these folks.
I added Group Policy Editor to Win 10 Home and it doesn't affect the update side of things, does nothing for that at all, nor does it action logon scripts as it would natively in the Pro version.

For an economical laptop, I have decided to go dual boot, and put Linux Mint XFCE on there are a daily use OS. It's arguably a lot safer, and has better sharing security than available on Windows *. It's faster to boot up, and performs almost everything acceptably well or better.
However, I still need the dual boot because there are certain software packages that are Windows only (Foobar2000 for example) and getting that to output bit-perfect through Wine ASIO and JACK is far more effort than it should be, and still doesn't switch sample rate on the fly.
Windows with the update service disabled, network devices disabled and a USB stick to transfer the selected updates I want from the catalogue is the best way to proceed for us.

* Created a Samba share to share a partition from Linux with my Windows desktop PC. It has password protection and only permits access with that. On the other hand, for me to share a partition from Windows, I need to make it available to 'Everyone' else create a user account with the name of the other machines user on the sharing Windows machine, and also make sure each user has a password for login. I didn't want that, I don't need that. We are a trustworthy lot in this dwelling, we don't access each others computers and need no password to log on.
Maybe there is something I missed but I am happy enough with the setup I've configured here.

Oh and the Windows 7 netbook can now be retired. No point trying to force Windows 10 on that, it can't even handle a Win7 update from some while back, the sound device went silent and other things stopped working. It's a bit of a security hole at the moment!

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
In our house:

Home studio / DAW: iMac Retina
NAS: Lacie Quadra something
Personal laptop: Macbook
Tablet: iPad Retina
Phone: iPhone
TV: some Samsung OS
Home IoT: Google & Apple hubs / home kit, IFTTT integrations
Wife's work desktop: Windows 7 on super old Dell mini tower
My work laptop: Windows 10 on Surface Pro tablet with keyboard snap on