• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Microphone stand - worth getting an "anti-vibration" stand?

Mariner9

Asking on behalf of someone who wants to record woodwind instruments (bassoon and sax). I believe he is going to for a Behringer XM8500 mic and given the quality of the mic, it's not clear that it's worth spending more on an anti-vibration stand. My guess is vibration would be evident in low frequencies which could be removed via a high pass filter in Audacity (I am implicitly assuming that the frequencies of the bassoon or sax wouldn't be that low, which might or might not be correct).

Thoughts much appreciated! I hope it's OK to post this question here.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Robin L

Master Contributor
I was using Neumanns recording orchestras. The most frequent low frequency problems came from central air, a stand would do nothing to fix that. EQ certainly would. The worst situation had involved a chamber orchestra jammed into a small room with a refrigerator, nothing could be done to fix that. Sounds like you would be better off investing more on a microphone, a Shure 57 would probably be better. The Behringer XM8500 looks like it wants to be a Shure 58 when it grows up.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was using Neumanns recording orchestras. The most frequent low frequency problems came from central air, a stand would do nothing to fix that. EQ certainly would. The worst situation had involved a chamber orchestra jammed into a small room with a refrigerator, nothing could be done to fix that. Sounds like you would be better off investing more on a microphone, a Shure 57 would probably be better. The Behringer XM8500 looks like it wants to be a Shure 58 when it grows up.
I doubt I've recorded as much as you, but that too is my experience. In medium to large churches central air often has a resonance down quite low in frequency. Not to mention a space that large has some very low resonant nodes all around.

Also agree about the XM8500. You could probably look around and pick up a used 58 for little more. Check music stores or craigslist or such.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I doubt I've recorded as much as you, but that too is my experience. In medium to large churches central air often has a resonance down quite low in frequency. Not to mention a space that large has some very low resonant nodes all around.

Also agree about the XM8500. You could probably look around and pick up a used 58 for little more. Check music stores or craigslist or such.
The Shure 57 and 58 are based on the same cartridge but the 58 is intended as a vocal microphone, essentially has a pop filter. The 57 is intended as an instrument microphone, where plosives are less of a concern. Because of the lack of that pop filter, the 57 is a little hotter on top. And, as Blumlein notes, both microphones are easy to find in the used market as there are so many in circulation. I've also used the much cheaper Shure 48, similar to the 58 but doesn't have as wide a dynamic range, can be overloaded sooner.

I looked up microphones for the sax, noticed that most attach themselves to the bell of the horn. You might want to read this:
19 Best Microphone for Saxophone Reviews 2020 - CMUSE

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The 57 and 58 have almost identical frequency response, both have the upper midrange peak. They are very popular and very rugged but not my choice for recording instruments. Useful for live work with a little EQ to tame the peak.

Clip-ons are generally way more money (may be cheaper ones now) and there are pros and cons using them (like handling/valve/key noise).

Robin L

Master Contributor
The 57 and 58 have almost identical frequency response, both have the upper midrange peak. They are very popular and very rugged but not my choice for recording instruments. Useful for live work with a little EQ to tame the peak.

Clip-ons are generally way more money (may be cheaper ones now) and there are pros and cons using them (like handling/valve/key noise).
Looks like there's cheaper ones now, if you read the link I posted.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Looks like there's cheaper ones now, if you read the link I posted.

Sorry, working so didn't follow the link, and don't play sax anyway. :) For trumpet, users have had problems with the cheaper ones, but not something I really follow so your link is undoubtedly a much better reference.

Top Bottom