• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Microphone placement for REW measurements - Stereo 2.0 system - UMIK-1

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, I know this is a real beginners question but I can't seem to get a clear answer...
What's the best way to place a UMIK-1 microphone to make some first room measurements for REW. This is a stereo 2.0 system. Speakers are wall mounted, approx 1.6m up, toed-in by eye, angled downwards and approx 2m from the listening position.

I expect to have to repeat these many times as I figure out what I'm doing and I assume that the measurements should be repeatable.

Simple answer seems to be to position the mic where my head would be and point the mic at each tweeter in turn; measure Left speaker only, then repeat measurements with the Right speaker.
It seems to me that there will be a large error when I try to repeat this, trying to replicate the angles.
I can measure mic height easily enough, but how important is it that the mic points exactly the same way each time.
It would be simpler to point the mic straight ahead, between the speakers but will that compromise the readings?
Similarly, I assume the mic should be angled up, to point at the speakers and not be horizontal (although that would be easier!)

Apologies for the dumb questions. Any and all advice would be great!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had the same question before, and even though UMIK-1 has correction files for both on axis (horizontal) and 90 degrees (vertical), I have been advised to use on axis for stereo and 90 degrees for multichannel. And even better than several positions and averaging is to use moving mike method (MMM), playing pink noise and capturing averages in the RTA of REW. Search this forum and you will find several topics about it.

chuckt62

Editor
I guess the next UMIK version should have a LASER (pointer) guidance system.

Top Bottom