• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Michael Fremer Leaving Stereophile?

OP
MakeMineVinyl

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
not my cap, Stan! :cool:
I'd have to sell a kidney or two to afford an A80 in good working order.
Mind you, it has crossed my mind...

;)
In any event, it wasn't the capstan which was dirty, it was the rubber pinch roller. And the 'oxide' wasn't that, but back coating from the tape. I know, precision thinking not allowed. :facepalm:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
In any event, it wasn't the capstan which was dirty, it was the rubber pinch roller. And the 'oxide' wasn't that, but back coating from the tape. I know, precision thinking not allowed. :facepalm:
Actually, I looked carefully at the photo after @Sal1950's riposte, had the same thought as you, then looked even more carefully -- the capstan's a bit murky looking, too.
I think we're getting a wee bit in(to) the weeds, though. ;)

1658945122661.gif

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
A most excellence play on words,
I love it. LOL
Lord knows I try. ;)
True enough.
What is it you'd like to say about Mikey's departure?
Have At It, Feel Free. ;)
I don't think too highly of the guy... mostly because of his boorish outburst(s) right here at this set of forums. :(

John Atkinson

Industry Insider
Reviewer
John,
Thanks so much for your continued participation in our little discussion here, it's been appreciated and fun.
Although I may not come off that way, after 35+ years of reading your pen's I've come to consider us friends,
irrelevant of our differences in opinion.
Take care of yourself and stay healthy, without your insight and measurements, Stereophile could be lost.
God Bless & cent' anni
Sal
You're welcome Sal.

John Atkinson
Technical Editor, Stereophile

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
"In the world of audiophiles — where provenance is everything and the quest is to get as close to the sound of an album’s original recording as possible — digital is considered almost unholy. And using digital while claiming not to is the gravest sin a manufacturer can commit."

Oh brother, how sad is it that BS like this continues to be repeated over and over. :facepalm:

John Atkinson

Industry Insider
Reviewer
When I produced the sessions in November 2003 for Antony Michaelson's Mozart Clarinet Concerto recording at London's Henry Wood Hall - see https://www.discogs.com/master/7659...stra-Antony-Michaelson-K622-Clarinet-Concerto - engineer Tony Faulkner was recording in both analog and DSD64. We compared both types of recording with the live microphone feed and the DSD version sounded identical to the feed. (Interestingly, some listeners preferred the playback from the analog tape, which didn't sound like the mike feed.) As MoFi has been using DSD256 for the transfer master, there would have been nothing for Michael Fremer to detect as "digital."

John Atkinson

Newman

Major Contributor
Ditto for PCM of course.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I produced the sessions in November 2003 for Antony Michaelson's Mozart Clarinet Concerto recording at London's Henry Wood Hall - see https://www.discogs.com/master/7659...stra-Antony-Michaelson-K622-Clarinet-Concerto - engineer Tony Faulkner was recording in both analog and DSD64. We compared both types of recording with the live microphone feed and the DSD version sounded identical to the feed. (Interestingly, some listeners preferred the playback from the analog tape, which didn't sound like the mike feed.) As MoFi has been using DSD256 for the transfer master, there would have been nothing for Michael Fremer to detect as "digital."

John Atkinson

And from now on he'll say it can be quite OK for an LP to be sourced from a digital copy of the master tape. Nothing necessarily wrong with it.

For sure.

Andysu

Major Contributor
i didn't watch the video as i know how some feel . really feel . :p

board

???

I mean she's held up well for being a 58 year old woman, but I don't quite get your crush.

p5PxbEru8OAlgow2P2EMSPTbxsV.jpg

MV5BMTY2MDAwNjA2Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzExOTM0Mg@@._V1_UY264_CR16,0,178,264_AL_.jpg
Although I like some of Diana Krall's songs, and I think she's definitely decent looking (and I'm saying that being myself 41 years old), here's someone whose music I find a bit better, a bit better produced (especially the album "Sunset in the blue"), and she's a bit sexier as well:

4d6fe0a44890afc8207d7d7ce76de0fd--melody-gardot-jazz-music.jpg

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Although I like some of Diana Krall's songs, and I think she's definitely decent looking (and I'm saying that being myself 41 years old), here's someone whose music I find a bit better, a bit better produced (especially the album "Sunset in the blue"), and she's a bit sexier as well:

View attachment 246358
Costello seems happy enough.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I produced the sessions in November 2003 for Antony Michaelson's Mozart Clarinet Concerto recording at London's Henry Wood Hall - see https://www.discogs.com/master/7659...stra-Antony-Michaelson-K622-Clarinet-Concerto - engineer Tony Faulkner was recording in both analog and DSD64. We compared both types of recording with the live microphone feed and the DSD version sounded identical to the feed. (Interestingly, some listeners preferred the playback from the analog tape, which didn't sound like the mike feed.)
Sorry to be coming late to the party.

Two points here:

1. DSD64 sounded like the direct mic feed, not surprised. The analog tape sounded different from the direct mic feed, not surprised again.
2. Some people preferred the "distortions" provided by the analog tape.

On point 2, since the mic feed in the control room can never be an exact replica of the live performance in the other room, if the producer or other person making the final call on the sound of the recording prefers either the analog tape sound or the direct mic feed sound, then the preferred sound is the sound that should be preserved and replicated as faithfully as possible.

Two points and my 2 cents. ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
When I produced the sessions in November 2003 for Antony Michaelson's Mozart Clarinet Concerto recording at London's Henry Wood Hall - see https://www.discogs.com/master/7659...stra-Antony-Michaelson-K622-Clarinet-Concerto - engineer Tony Faulkner was recording in both analog and DSD64. We compared both types of recording with the live microphone feed and the DSD version sounded identical to the feed.

1. DSD64 sounded like the direct mic feed, not surprised. The analog tape sounded different from the direct mic feed, not surprised again.
I've heard many engineers say the same for LPCM.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What does 'sounded like' mean and how is that arrived at? Blind switching to see if they could be told apart?

Top Bottom