• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Michael Fremer Leaving Stereophile?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes and no. Crime, Crisis and most of Quietest Moments are prog. But Breakfast... I've always maintained that this album was 'tramp's disco era offering.

I was blasting Breakfast In America last night. Love that album. It has such a strong association for me with the summer it was blasting from every radio.
Gorgeous recording too.

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was blasting Breakfast In America last night. Love that album. It has such a strong association for me with the summer it was blasting from every radio.
Gorgeous recording too.
There's an interesting Youtube discussion from some English production guy discussing Breakfast and some of the other albums. I found it interesting.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Old white guy music ?
Old white guy music RULES, which includes all the old Motown stuff. ;)
There's an interesting Youtube discussion from some English production guy discussing Breakfast and some of the other albums. I found it interesting.
Link?
That this thread has slowly morphed into a discussion about the music of Supertramp says everything regarding the original topic...
What else is left to be said?
Bye Mikey. off to TAS with ya. LOL

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Just did a bit of homework, I'm not sure if the numbers are accurate but
Stereophile's Media Kit claims a circulation of 70,000
TAS Advertisers Info page claims magazine subscriptions at 38,000
I don't know what it means, Just food for thought.

teched58

Just did a bit of homework, I'm not sure if the numbers are accurate but
Stereophile's Media Kit claims a circulation of 70,000
TAS Advertisers Info page claims magazine subscriptions at 38,000
I don't know what it means, Just food for thought.

Interesting. It looks to me like Stereophile and TAS might be about to swap places. Fremer used to be at SP. now he's at TAS. TAS used to post nothing but press releases, now SP is posting what amounts to press releases (see "John Quick Moves to Dynaudio.")

Jason Victor Serinus actually took a byline on this piece of fluff. Money quote: ""I am as excited by the opportunity to make a difference for a company that has a great heritage and potential ..." Good Gawd. I would be embarrassed to have my name associated with something like that. It's the mark of an amateur writer.

Stereophile seems to be working very hard to drive readers away, reviewing $63,000 switch boxes (the Gryphon preamp) and now posting personnel announcements. It's clearly content for advertisers, not readers. Which I guess kinda makes sense, cause advertisers are the only thing keeping them afloat.

Meanwhile, TAS is moving away from press releases, adding more content and signing Fremer on as a contributor. TAS is clearly INVESTING money in their property (q.v. the hiring of Lee S., who I think has weighed in once or twice on this thread) and is moving towards including much more original content. I was always really down on TAS, because their content was previously rather weak and limited to high-endian cable-itis and such. We will have to see what happens, but they could soon be the stronger property.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Interesting. It looks to me like Stereophile and TAS might be about to swap places. Fremer used to be at SP. now he's at TAS. TAS used to post nothing but press releases, now SP is posting what amounts to press releases (see "John Quick Moves to Dynaudio.")

Jason Victor Serinus actually took a byline on this piece of fluff. Money quote: ""I am as excited by the opportunity to make a difference for a company that has a great heritage and potential ..." Good Gawd. I would be embarrassed to have my name associated with something like that. It's the mark of an amateur writer.

Stereophile seems to be working very hard to drive readers away, reviewing $63,000 switch boxes (the Gryphon preamp) and now posting personnel announcements. It's clearly content for advertisers, not readers. Which I guess kinda makes sense, cause advertisers are the only thing keeping them afloat.

Meanwhile, TAS is moving away from press releases, adding more content and signing Fremer on as a contributor. TAS is clearly INVESTING money in their property (q.v. the hiring of Lee S., who I think has weighed in once or twice on this thread) and is moving towards including much more original content. I was always really down on TAS, because their content was previously rather weak and limited to high-endian cable-itis and such. We will have to see what happens, but they could soon be the stronger property.
Makes little difference to me. I stopped reading E-mail postings from TAS a long time ago. With ASR, 'm covered, thanks.

OP
MakeMineVinyl

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

Reading between the lines, I get the feeling that things are not all that great at AVTech Media, the parent company of Stereophile. There's been turnover and what seems like chaos for a couple years. People like Jena Dadagan were let go, presumably because of tight finances. Perhaps Fremer jumped ship because of the general chaos.

OP
MakeMineVinyl

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Makes little difference to me. I stopped reading E-mail postings from TAS a long time ago. With ASR, 'm covered, thanks.
TAS et al are something to look at while eating lunch as my desk. When I subscribed to the print edition of Stereophile, that was ideal for the crapper. The best tool for the job and all that. :rolleyes:

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
The only thing I have against Fremer is his pig ignorant postings, against anyone who critiques his apparent support of a smashing, but superceded means of listening to recorded music . On this website, I believe objectivity, generally supports my point?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Well, he should be right at home at TAS. :facepalm:

DMill

Forum Donor
Peoples impressions of vinyl are subjective and mostly anecdotal. Is wireless as technically perfect as a hard wired player? I bet not. I have no problem with any reviewer discussing a stylus or turntable. These are, in fact, being sold every day to people who love analog. I would even go so far to say Stereophile should devote space to that market. They are writing for Audiophiles who aren’t “us”. I find nothing wrong with that. I will even go so far as to say if you want a $3500 cable go buy it if it lets you sleep at night. My problem with him was grossly overstated results using these tweaks that have absolutely no scientific foundation to improve anything.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, he should be right at home at TAS. :facepalm:

I have been off the HEA crowd for a while ... Boy!, Boy ! Oh Boy!!! What a gigantic pile of B.S!!!! :eek:, Wow!!!

Robin L

Master Contributor
TAS et al are something to look at while eating lunch as my desk. When I subscribed to the print edition of Stereophile, that was ideal for the crapper. The best tool for the job and all that. :rolleyes:
This is a possibly spurious quote from Beethoven:

"I am sitting in the smallest room in my house. Your review is in front of me. Very soon it shall be behind me."

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I have been off the HEA crowd for a while ... Boy!, Boy ! Oh Boy!!! What a gigantic pile of B.S!!!! :eek:, Wow!!!

The benefit of having FU money is no longer needing to say FU—Ingvar Kamprad*

*I may have made that up.

Dial

Do you think all these components reviews are really happening? Because at the time of high definition imaging available with any smartphone, we never see any trace of the listening room with the devices in it.
Once they listened to a very expensive German preamp but first discussed its connections. A simple photo of the back side would have enlightened this long speech. But ... nothing, and curiously on the manufacturer's site, no photo of this damn back panel either to show the XLRs layout. Also very often they claim to swap tonearms at no price to compare them with their so revealing cartridges. There either, and that goes for all the sites on the net, no visual

Last edited:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you think all these components reviews are really happening? Because at the time of high definition imaging available with any smartphone, we never see any trace of the listening room with the devices in it.
Once they listened to a very expensive German preamp but first discussed its connections. A simple photo of the back side would have enlightened this long speech. But ... nothing, and curiously on the manufacturer's site, no photo of this damn back panel either to show the XLRs layout. Also very often they claim to swap tonearms at no price to compare them with their so revealing cartridges. There either, and that goes for all the sites of the net, no visual
They might as well just make it all up, would be just as useful.

Former UK hi-fi Journalist Ian Rankin (now a novelist, which speaks volumes ho ho) once confessed to writing some of his reviews without ever taking the kit out of the box.

Dial

Yes when I'm already too lazy to change the stylus, but then put an extra arm or even change the original one for another but also at $15k but unipivot (tangentials are no longer "fashion") -now you can get some for more than 50 000$. Because I guess they take into account the distance between the spindle to the center of the pivot, the height, everything (with very expensive templates costing much more than a Technics SP 10).
One of them had his room upstairs and would have had to lug around there speakers of 100 kg and more, mono blocks too. Not to mention the listening impressions unrelated to measurements, several devices downright defective but chronicled all the same...

Top Bottom