• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Michael Fremer Leaving Stereophile?

Voo

I think many here miss the point of a hobby. its about having fun.

elvisizer

I think many here miss the point of a hobby. its about having fun.
thanks for defining fun for everyone! lol
how do you know the people you're talking about aren't enjoying themselves?

OP
MakeMineVinyl

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
With Michael Fremer gone from Stereophile, who will be around to review $63,000 Preamps ?
Everybody else at Stereophile. I see new 'reviewer' names with increasing frequency on the Stereophile website. Perhaps they've found a rock formation under which these people just pop into existence. :rolleyes:

DSJR

Major Contributor
Dude....

You just jumped the Vinyl Engine shark on ASR.

We can't be friends anymore.

I have to pretend I don't know you.
I don't understand the comment, sorry (my autistic tendencies I suspect), but never mind. If it's any help, for the last thirty odd years when I play records, I enjoy the music, but as soon as I go to play a CD (in the days before streaming), the record player was switched off and the vinyl put away... Now the CD player gets little use although I do use it sometimes to make sure it's still working.. Does that help any?

I'll get me coat before I'm thrown out ;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I don't understand the comment, sorry (my autistic tendencies I suspect), but never mind. If it's any help, for the last thirty odd years when I play records, I enjoy the music, but as soon as I go to play a CD (in the days before streaming), the record player was switched off and the vinyl put away... Now the CD player gets little use although I do use it sometimes to make sure it's still working.. Does that help any?

I'll get me coat before I'm thrown out ;)
Re: Jumping the Shark?
If so... It's a Fonzie/Happy Days thing.
(not in a good way)

Fonzie_jumps_the_shark.PNG

The term has become synonymous with a pivotal event that correlates to the evolution of a 'good' thing into a 'not so good' thing.

For example: that day in the early 1970s when humans suddenly evolved from having two ears to having four ears, and stereo became quad.

We're still living with the ramifications of that particular shark being jumped. ;)

1655577869335.png

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Re: Jumping the Shark?
If so... It's a Fonzie/Happy Days thing.
(not in a good way)

Fonzie_jumps_the_shark.PNG

The term has become synonymous with a pivotal event that correlates to the evolution of a 'good' thing into a 'not so good' thing.

I just saw something on that a few days ago.

Here's what Henry had to say about that:

https://movieweb.com/henry-winkler-jumping-the-shark/#:~:text=People say, 'How,phrase? F--- 'em."
"People say, 'How did you feel, that this phrase, jump the shark (took off)?' Every time they mentioned it, and it was in the newspaper, they had a picture of me water skiing. At that time, I had great legs. So, I didn't care for one minute. We were No. 1 for five years after that, what did I care that there was a phrase? F--- 'em.""

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Henry Winkler, by all appearances, seems to be a good guy, and very down to earth and honest about himself, to boot.
He's had a good "second act", post-Fonzie, I'd opine.

Humor, old boy.

It might even qualify as satire.

Or at least an attempt.
I believe it was George S. Kaufman who said
Satire is what closes on Saturday night
:cool:

Sashoir

Forum Donor
If Stereophile moved towards objective, that'd be the confirmation that what Amir and Erin do is far more important that all the creative literature and Diana Krall.
I've thought about asking this ever since I joined the site, but haven't, for whatever reason (thread pertinence, most likely): why do people often allude to Diana Krall in relation to hi-fi? I can never tell whether it's an approving reference or the opposite. Is she a famous hi-fi enthusiast herself? Does she endorse a particular manufacturer? Or is it more of a "real stereo enthusiasts don't listen to Diana Krall" type of thing? And if so, is it her, or any modern incarnation of cocktail/torch singing?
I apologies if it's a foolish question: it just seems like a cultural touchpoint in this community that's so well-known it goes without saying; so if you don't know, you'll never find out.

Reactions: GDK

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I've thought about asking this ever since I joined the site, but haven't, for whatever reason (thread pertinence, most likely): why do people often allude to Diana Krall in relation to hi-fi? I can never tell whether it's an approving reference or the opposite. Is she a famous hi-fi enthusiast herself? Does she endorse a particular manufacturer? Or is it more of a "real stereo enthusiasts don't listen to Diana Krall" type of thing? And if so, is it her, or any modern incarnation of cocktail/torch singing?
I apologies if it's a foolish question: it just seems like a cultural touchpoint in this community that's so well-known it goes without saying; so if you don't know, you'll never find out.

Her stuff gets overly used at audio shows and in articles as demo tracks.

It's a classic case of 'it makes everything sound good', is inoffensive, and also not very revealing, despite the fact that reviewers hold up 'the ability to produce female voice' as a benchmark.

And, yeah, it's a bit of a snub that supposedly real music lovers / jazz lovers don't think much of her, although I've never actually heard a jazz musician say anything negative about her.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

It's a classic case of 'it makes everything sound good', is inoffensive, and also not very revealing, despite the fact that reviewers hold up 'the ability to produce female voice' as a benchmark.

And, yeah, it's a bit of a snub that supposedly real music lovers / jazz lovers don't think much of her, although I've never actually heard a jazz musician say anything negative about her.

My gawd I tire of "female voice" audiophile tracks at audio shows (and youtube "sound demos")

They are virtually always some turgidly paced, arty, breathy thing that has me checking my watch and thinking of better ways to spend my time, 30 seconds in.

Sashoir

Forum Donor

Thank you, watchnerd! I've not been to a hi-fi tradeshow, and didn't know of the female-voice-as-benchmark-concept. I think I couldn't resist using Flanders & Swann's Song of Reproduction as my audition piece, if ever I got to go, though.
I've never owned any of Diana Krall's albums nor heard her live, but I'm sure I've never heard any musos speak ill of her, either, nor would I.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
My gawd I tire of "female voice" audiophile tracks at audio shows (and youtube "sound demos")

They are virtually always some turgidly paced, arty, breathy thing that has me checking my watch and thinking of better ways to spend my time, 30 seconds in.

There is a huge spectrum of female voices they could pick.

But, as you said, it's always some close-mic'ed, laid-back popular songbook jazz vocalist.

Patricia Barber is another audiophile fave.

I actually like her stuff in moderation, but it (like Diana Krall), it's used to the point of being cliche.

This one is particular egregious example of picking sound over music. Of all the tracks on that album, they picked the least musical, most arty.

Fecking audiophiles and their choice of masturbatory inspiration....

It's a pretty well made LP, though. I don't have the 1STEP version, but the 'regular' one is also a quality pressing.

BONUS QUESTION:

To tie back to the thread, can you name that turntable?

(I couldn't, without looking in the description)

Last edited:
OP
MakeMineVinyl

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Ugh DianaKrall is like fingernails on the chalkboard.

Top Bottom