• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mic Setup for Neumann DSP Correction

VTKZ

Sorry i cant help you there. Maybe check the focusrite drivers and how its setup in windows…
I own the MA1 nearly since the beginning and as you see in my post i also have here and there problems with it.
Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Its frustrating because all in all its a great tool (when it works)

I personally have decided now i go with minidsp and set up everything up manually and build DIY Subwoofers
and sell my KH750ˋs soon.

Ive enough with the MA1, specially there are no more bigger Subwoofers released for people like me who are
using all that stuff for Music Listening & Home Cinema. I know neumann is also here in the forum
and i dont want to talk bad about the products, there are many goods
but also many bad / questionable decisions made to implement this powerfull DSP in the speakers by neumann

- why in the world no daisy chain with Ethernet cables where you also submit the Audio Signal
- massive cable mess because you need different Y-XLR Cables, Powercords + Ethernetcables
- why not an pre made small interface / switch like Genelec that youve not this problems with a focusrite or similiar
- why you need to buy an external interface to use the MA1
- why an fixed Crossover Point for the KH750
- and most important why no youtube tutorials ?? look at the Genelec YT Channel, there are tons
of long Videos how you set everything up and what you can do when you’ve problems
…. i still have many more points what could be better

Sorry that i compare it too much with Genelec but for me Neumann and Genelecs are the Competitiors
in this Market where youve DSP & Correction Software

And yes, the Neumann software got massive improvements & upgrades but is still years behind genelecs glm.
As good as the results are, and also the speakers - when it doesnt work, its more frustrating than fun

Good luck with it and hopefully you have some success soon.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I think you should connect like this:

1709245944575.png

Manual: https://ma1.neumann.com/manual

Last edited:

dazzler9000

There should be a page like this somewhere, try selecting Input 2 as MA1 input channel:
View attachment 353351
You are a genius, thanks so much. I had it set to input 1. It's so easy/obvious when you know the answer!

I do have another question though. I've completed the setup now and I'm presented with the following screen. It states at the bottom, whey you are satisfied, move to the next page, but there isn't a next button. Only 'save as'.

Screenshot 2024-02-29 222742.png

When I click save as (Alignment 2) I'm then presented with this screen. Can I assume I'm done and Alignment 2 settings have been saved to my monitors?

1709245944746.png

I'm first to admit that I'm always in a hurry, but I think the wording could be done better to make it a bit more intuitive.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I click save as (Alignment 2) I'm then presented with this screen. Can I assume I'm done and Alignment 2 settings have been saved to my monitors?

View attachment 353376

I'm first to admit that I'm always in a hurry, but I think the wording could be done better to make it a bit more intuitive.
Yes, as soon as the alignment is selected, it takes a few seconds an then it is active. To deselect, you can chose "backplate" under alignment.

VTKZ

1000011602.png

Another Day, another Problem.... i will now sell the MA1 and the Subwoofers soon. Ive enough now. It started so good, software updated itself, Speakers gets a Updated and now this.

I will build now an Multi Subwoofer System with DIY Subwoofers and everything set up by an Home Cinema / DSP Guy who works with miniDSP.

Sorry, Neumann but as much as i love the Products, thats totally ridiculous. The whole Speaker setup 6000€ (+280 the Mic Kit) !!! and always Problems. Some day it works, some day not and always the fear when you want to change that you arent able to do the Measurements, because something went wrong in Software.

I'm ,,just,, an Home Audio Guy who uses Neumann, but when i would need to make Money with my Audio Setup,
i would go crazy. How can professionals work with that ?

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
It sounds like you're having some fun and games, but maybe don't give up too quickly. I have a pair of KH150s, and I think they're great, but to be fair, I was a bit surprised to learn that you required an audio interface and a network hub to use the MA1. It won't work in my set-up anyway, because I have a different brand subwoofer.

What PC are you using? Is it an older, lower speed CPU, or do you perhaps have a lot of processes running in the background?

I don't know how up to speed you are with Windows, etc., so apologies if this is all really obvious and you've already been through it, but maybe check task manager to see if anything untoward is going on and the CPU, memory, etc. is being heavily used by something:

1709563684200.png

1709563732541.png

1709563810571.png

Also, have a look at what starts when Windows does. A lot of apps and programs seem to want to start every time you start Windows, I disable a fair few of them; I don't need Adobe to check for updates every time I start Windows. :rolleyes:

I use the free version of CCleaner: https://www.ccleaner.com/ to do this:

1709564763473.png

VTKZ

Of course the kh150s are great :-D the Software and whole DSP based Ecosystem is just unfinished

I personaly dont use Ccleaner because this will f**k up your System. I only use internal Win Solutions.
Ive Win10, 32gb Ram - a more or less modern PC with nore than enough power to run this Software. The memory is far from heavily used. When i measure i only have MA1 open. No Chrome or other Programs...

The thing is, that it works sometimes and i'm now at the giving up point. There are too much failures over the past months and too much frustration. Need always 10min to set everything up with all of this cables.

And its not guaranteed that the position of the subs is good. So normaly i took 2-3 runs with different placements to see what the software does with the response.

However. I dont want to try it again. I now use the manual EQ from my Amplifier with the 750s backplate Options and stay in contact with an Homecinema Builder here, who use Multi Sub / Array Solutions

Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Of course the kh150s are great :-D the Software and whole DSP based Ecosystem is just unfinished and

I personaly dont use Ccleaner because this will f**k up your System. I only use internal Win Solutions.
Ive Win10, 32gb Ram - a more or less modern PC with nore than enough power to run this Software. The memory is far from heavily used. When i measure i only have MA1 open. No Chrome or other Programs...

The thing is, that it works sometimes and i'm now at the giving up point. There are too much failures over the past months and too much frustration. Need always 10min to set everything up with all of this cables.

And its not guaranteed that the position of the subs is good. So normaly i took 2-3 runs with different placements to see what the software does with the response.

However. I dont want to try it again. I now use the manual EQ from my Amplifier with the 750s backplate Options and stay in contact with an Homecinema Builder here, who use Multi Sub / Array Solutions
Hmm, frustrating. People that make great hardware, don't always make great software. :confused:

I have a laser printer, and try as I might, I cannot get it to work with my Windows 11 PC, so every time I want to print something, which fortunately isn't very often, I have to print to PDF, then print the PDF file from an old Windows 10 PC I have - what a palaver. :facepalm:

With regards to PEQ, I've been using a UMIK-1 and REW, but I have recently bought an ARC Studio and a Scarlett Solo: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-low-cost-solution-for-room-correction.52418/ - lets hope it's a less tortuous experience than you seem to be experiencing. I'll update in the other thread once it all arrives and I've tried it out.

Top Bottom