• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mic for REW or MultiEQ-X?

apexkingjusto

I may have answered my own question by typing what I almost posted.... so I'm going to make this question a bit more open-ended.

What would you rather spend money on first, a MIC for REW ($70) + a digital tape measure ($40) or the license for MultEQ-X ($200)?

Ultimately I know I'll end up with both, but my gut is telling me to start with the MIC and measuring laser so that I can establish a baseline first.

I also already have the IPAD Audyssey App and am very happy with my current setup, just on the everlasting search to get more out of it (and learn).

staticV3

Master Contributor
Definitely the mic (UMIK-1). Not sure what the digital tape meaure is good for when doing room EQ (maybe setting your speaker distances?).
Also in doubt whether MultEQ-X is worth $200 comsidering that REW and Equalizer Apo are free (unless your AVR forces you to use that).

Mowz

Fwiw I have spent a month of Sundays listing to what I want to listen to with these setups on my denon 4700 9.2.4.

I used the audyssey denon x4700 setup first. Used like this for a few months and loved it.

I found I preferred the umik1 and measuring laser for both stereo and surround, and that the distances were not as accurate from what I considered the general listening position as I was with the mic. My adjustments were an improvement, and I made them using the umik and the android multieq which is like the ipad version. I ran like this for about two months.

Bought multieq during the black Friday sale for 150. I significantly prefer it to my manual setup for all applications both to achieve my preferred sound signature, and also for the loudness managment.

Before I did it, my wife's chief complaint was she couldn't hear dialog depending on how low we watched, so I was constantly fiddling with the center channel or the subs if the kids were in bed.

Now I have speaker 1 and speaker 2 presets only, one for more bass, one for less, settings locked. I would never expect a "this sounds great!" But I have not had another "I can't hear the tv." Also, from time to time my infant son will say "woah" when I am thinking the same thing, so I'd buy again even though it is annoying it isn't included and also i would never know about it but for this forum.

That said, if I could only choose one I would get a measurement mic. having a measurement mic is super fun, just measuring everything from Bluetooth speakers to TV speakers to stereo speakers to screaming kids to how the speakers may project into other rooms to ambient noise you name it.

So as usual it depends on your use case. Fwiw all speakers are polk r series except the l series center.

OP
A

apexkingjusto

I’m leaning towards the mic, I think it will be a much better way to help me learn and baseline my system.

Is there a way to see the effect from my vaulted ceilings with the data?

OP
A

apexkingjusto

A picture of them
DC43F088-076E-47DA-B85B-A7542A16ECCF.jpeg

Top Bottom