• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Meze Liric Review (Closed Back Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 63 37.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 54 32.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 18 10.8%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 22141

I generally don't like to EQ - anything in my arsenal. I prefer things to be good 'by design'. If you need to do EQ (what I personally believe, it may differ with others or may all others), there's clearly a fault there. I rather just find the gear that sounds best to me rather than get caught up in the EQverse.

If anything needs correction, and maybe so much of it, it's physically faulty. Also, EQing may suggest that the equipment is not built to deliver those parameters, so why try to force it to fake it?

Anyhow - that's my general opinion on EQ. Nothing's perfect - but things that matter to any individual specifically, must be as close as possible by being built that way in the first place.

I'd like to explain this via the following image:

View attachment 175126

I know I may be bashed for saying this - for some I may be a blasphemer - but I will have to take it then.

PS: Verily this one (the Liric), for the money, raises a lot of eyebrows with the questionable performance.

The Harman target is certainly the only one backed by research, but it's not "correct" in any serious sense.

Have you established beyond any question that your preference exactly matches the Harman curve? And if so, which one, as they have changed it a number of times? So which one is it that it has to match to be acceptable to you? Fully 1/3 of listeners don't exactly match the standard preference curves.

1640708852220.png

Simply judging a headphone as lacking because it doesn't exactly match the Harmon target is a little odd. If you can't find something that fits your own preference then EQ is great, and the ability to EQ without distortion is important.

I think it's great that we get FR maps, overlaid on the Harman curves, but to then say "and because the overlay isn't exact there is something wrong with these headphones" is a pretty large and unwarranted step.

I think I'd probably quite like this headphone without EQ and it seems to have a lot of other good features. I'm definitely going to find one to try out sometime.

Remlab

Forum Donor
Liric_driver_explosion.png

From the same guy who created the Oppo PM series diaphragm/motor assemblies

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
fantastic review sir amir!
sorry for this off-topic question, but in the queue of the products you are going to review, are there any biodynamic headphones? (E-MU, fostex, denon etc...)

PuX

Should a $2,000 headphone match our target? Ideally so but the industry has yet to adopt this stance
I don't really see why every company would follow this specific target.

also not quite sure why Harman would be a good target - isn't a fully neutral headphone supposed to produce a straight horizontal line? same as a speaker. or am I missing something?

fastfreddy666

One question. Can somebody please explain the difference between an ordinary planar magnetic driver and a Isodynamic hybrid array driver?

OMG. It's a ISODYNAMIC HYBRID ARRAY DRIVER

Liric_driver_explosion.png

Don't you just love exploded view photographs? I love them because I'm an engineer and you can immediately see how a device is assembled.
They look pretty similar to ordinary planar magnetics.

The website states that the driver creates a 0.3 Tesla Isodynamic magnetic field required for a uniform activation across the whole diaphragm surface. Wow. That's impressive. I recently had some kind of epileptic seizure. They did a MRI of my brain. The first thing I asked the operator of the thing. was: how big is the magnetic field? He didn't know. How can you not know that? The neurologist also didn't know. It was not her department. Come on now. You got to know the specs. It turned out it was 3 Tesla. Higher magnetic field strengths improves the SNR. Now we're talking. I know what that means. Yay. The scan couldn't determine the cause of the seizure so I still have no idea what caused it but I'm okay with that. By the way. MRI machines are noisy as hell even with ear protection. They can go up to 130 Db. I'm digressing again...

The Frequency response of this headphone isn't exactly isodynamic (having equal strength or force) This thing is crap. Just buy a Focal Utopia by Tournaire for the bargain price of $120,000 and be done with it. I'm just kidding. It's a little out of my price range to put it mildly. It's about six times the price of my second hand Toyota.

I indulged myself this Christmas and bought myself a Massdrop X Sennheiser HD 6XX for $179. It was on sale and I still think that was a little excessive. I'm a little frugal I guess. I blame my parents. But hey i buy you a beer if the bars weren't closed due to some kind of Corona virus. I believe they call it Omikron (it's the 15th letter of the Greek alphabet). Vaccines work like a charm apparently. But nature (the house) always wins.

They sound nice. I can't elaborate because of my hardcore objectivist philosophy. If you want subjective sound impressions you can go to head-fi and have endless pointless discussions about the sound quality of headphones. Hopefully Amirm will measure them at some point and then I can give you the (somewhat) objective details.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The website states that the driver creates a 0.3 Tesla Isodynamic magnetic field required for a uniform activation across the whole diaphragm surface. Wow. That's impressive. I recently had some kind of epileptic seizure. They did a MRI of my brain. The first thing I asked the operator of the thing. was: how big is the magnetic field? He didn't know. How can you not know that? The neurologist also didn't know. It was not her department. Come on now. You got to know the specs. It turned out it was 3 Tesla.
Traditionally in MRI and NMR people use the resonance frequency (Larmor frequency) of protons (1H) as measure for the magnetic strength. You can deduct the magnetic field from that, e. g. using this online calculator.
Higher magnetic field strengths improves the SNR.
... and resolution.

By the way. MRI machines are noisy as hell even with ear protection. They can go up to 130 Db. I'm digressing again...
It's the switching of the gradient coils which makes the noise. The measurement involves RF pulses which are not audible.

NDRQ

also not quite sure why Harman would be a good target - isn't a fully neutral headphone supposed to produce a straight horizontal line? same as a speaker. or am I missing something?
This is not a compensated frequency response graph so it cant be a horizontal line. If stg prefectly tracking the Harman curve, than that would be the straight horizontal line in a compensated graph. The compensated graph is just showing the difference between the Harman curve and the actual response of the speaker/headphone. Only straight horizontal line, if there is no difference.

Reactions: PuX
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The Harman target is certainly the only one backed by research, but it's not "correct" in any serious sense.

Have you established beyond any question that your preference exactly matches the Harman curve?
Has there been a determination that any of the responses from these headphones correct? Answer is no. Every company seems to be making up its own response. That is certainly not good for us as consumers and those that use them to produce music.

At this point, we need standardization to one target and then we can change it here and there to taste. After testing nearly 100 headphones now, for me the Harman curve is very close to ideal. Deviating from it screws up spatial cues, impact of sub-bass, brightness, etc.

There is a ton of room for differentiation between headphone companies from price to feel and looks. They don't need to produce wildly different frequency responses. Speakers have for the most part moved to flat on-axis response. Same needs to happen here as far as target.

Firefly00

fantastic review sir amir!
sorry for this off-topic question, but in the queue of the products you are going to review, are there any biodynamic headphones? (E-MU, fostex, denon etc...)
I believe the E-MU Teak has been measured here

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hopefully Amirm will measure them (HD6XX) at some point

Amir already did (HD6XX = HD650)

One question. Can somebody please explain the difference between an ordinary planar magnetic driver and a Isodynamic hybrid array driver?

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
Kinda crushes the hope I have that the Empyreans would perform better (seeing as how this product seems to be a cost-cut version and simply closed off instead of open back).

Shame to, I take the Empyreans to be the best looking/best finished headpone by a mile compared to others (though I do like the HD800 look, and choice to go plastic for comfort with lower weight).

I really would've hoped these would also follow some other drivers that achieve virtually no distortion at all, given that it's planar design hype they've done, and given the price/company prestige.

NHL99

A concerted effort to review the item

Soundwise the summary is 'As good as the Liric are, we’re not fully convinced by their dynamic ability. The subtleties are handled well but there’s a notable lack of punch, particularly at low frequencies.'

wwenze

Major Contributor
Should a $2,000 headphone match our target? Ideally so but the industry has yet to adopt this stance so we continue to get dual personality headphones: not so good as is, and excellent with EQ.

I'm starting to see why headphones have to be graded differently from speakers thanks to this quote. With the latter we don't have to bother with a target curve, at least in anechoic situations.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
A concerted effort to review the item

Soundwise the summary is 'As good as the Liric are, we’re not fully convinced by their dynamic ability. The subtleties are handled well but there’s a notable lack of punch, particularly at low frequencies.'

'Punch' is in the exact area where the response is lacking (150Hz area) so that conclusion is not that weird.

Liric-768x374.jpg

see my 'tonal character chart' below.

descriptors2kl-1.png

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You are... Read a bit about how the curve came up.
A good place to start:

And one of the first paper:

Peace

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I love my liric.
It's the best closed over-ear I've ever heard.
It sounds incredibly dynamic, rich in detail, and at the same time relaxed.
The imaging can actually be described as 3D. This is unique. The comfort is divine.
The build quality as well.
2000 € are extremely failr!

IMG_3720-2.jpg

My settings
Screenshot_20211230-122600_Neutron Player.jpg
Screenshot_20211230-122526_Neutron Player.jpg

Last edited:

PuX

You are... Read a bit about how the curve came up.
it's interesting that some compensation has to be done and without overlaying the target, one wouldn't know a straight line is not neutral :)

Top Bottom