• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Meze Liric Review (Closed Back Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 63 37.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 54 32.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 18 10.8%

• Total voters

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you don't personalize the tonality, you give away potential.
Sometimes more sometimes less.
Oratory, with its measurements and EQ settings, was the most valuable discovery of my "headphone career".

dadduah

Great review!

I’ve spent the past couple years trying to find a closed-back headphone that has a good combination of comfort for extended listening sessions, transportable and/or portable form factor, and a sound signature that can be improved with eq, but doesn’t absolutely require it to get by.

It looks like that search might have ended with the Liric.

The comforts superb, I can take them nearly anywhere and drive them with nearly anything, and applying Oratory1990’s eq profile makes a decent tuning into something great.

I’ve owned Audeze LCD-XCs (2021), DCA Aeon 2 Noires, ZMF Eikons, and Denon AH-D9200s, and given the criteria of comfort, (trans)portability, and sound signature, the Liric comes out on top.

That being said the price is steep, but if you’re able to get a pair secondhand I think it’s worth considering.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Great review!

I’ve spent the past couple years trying to find a closed-back headphone that has a good combination of comfort for extended listening sessions, transportable and/or portable form factor, and a sound signature that can be improved with eq, but doesn’t absolutely require it to get by.

It looks like that search might have ended with the Liric.

The comforts superb, I can take them nearly anywhere and drive them with nearly anything, and applying Oratory1990’s eq profile makes a decent tuning into something great.

I’ve owned Audeze LCD-XCs (2021), DCA Aeon 2 Noires, ZMF Eikons, and Denon AH-D9200s, and given the criteria of comfort, (trans)portability, and sound signature, the Liric comes out on top.

That being said the price is steep, but if you’re able to get a pair secondhand I think it’s worth considering.

And I think sound isolation with the Liric is better than the DCA Aeon Noires (I own them as well) and the Focal Elegia (sold).
that was one point that was really important to me as well. I use close back headphones so my wife can watch tv next to me. so I don't want to disturb hear with sound leaking from my headphones but I don't want to hear a background sound while listening music.

I think they are amazing headphones with some mild EQ

dadduah

I spent some more time with the Meze Liric and ultimately decided to sell them. I stand by the comments I made a couple posts back, but the more time I spent with the Liric I found that the comfort wasn't quite where I wanted it to be. There's something about that outline-of-an-ear pad shape that just gets to me over time and causes a hot spot around my left ear, which is the same thing that happened to me with DCA Aeon 2 Noires. I'm pretty sure this is just a quirk with the shape of my head though, but if you get irritation in the jaw/lower ear area from similar headphones I would say to factor that in. The spring-steel headband is stretchable though so you can reduce clamping force if need be.

Also, as time went on I became less of a fan of the materials used for the Liric. Aesthetically speaking I was initially neutral, but for a headphone meant to be taken out and about it sure has a lot of leather, which I suppose could develop a nice patina over time, but for me I kind of just worried about it getting scuffed up. The material choice seemed like a bit of form over function rather than the other way around. But this is also a personal nitpick.

So for those specific reasons I decided to part with the Liric, that being said I think they're a great headphone with a less than ideal MSRP. If you're looking for a closed-back I would still recommend them.

If anyone's curious which closed-back I finally landed on, it would be the Mr. Speakers (DCA) Ether C Flow 1.1. A little warmer tonality than I would prefer, but they respond great to EQ and comfort and portability are great.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I spent some more time with the Meze Liric and ultimately decided to sell them. I stand by the comments I made a couple posts back, but the more time I spent with the Liric I found that the comfort wasn't quite where I wanted it to be. There's something about that outline-of-an-ear pad shape that just gets to me over time and causes a hot spot around my left ear, which is the same thing that happened to me with DCA Aeon 2 Noires. I'm pretty sure this is just a quirk with the shape of my head though, but if you get irritation in the jaw/lower ear area from similar headphones I would say to factor that in. The spring-steel headband is stretchable though so you can reduce clamping force if need be.

Also, as time went on I became less of a fan of the materials used for the Liric. Aesthetically speaking I was initially neutral, but for a headphone meant to be taken out and about it sure has a lot of leather, which I suppose could develop a nice patina over time, but for me I kind of just worried about it getting scuffed up. The material choice seemed like a bit of form over function rather than the other way around. But this is also a personal nitpick.

So for those specific reasons I decided to part with the Liric, that being said I think they're a great headphone with a less than ideal MSRP. If you're looking for a closed-back I would still recommend them.

If anyone's curious which closed-back I finally landed on, it would be the Mr. Speakers (DCA) Ether C Flow 1.1. A little warmer tonality than I would prefer, but they respond great to EQ and comfort and portability are great.

Headphones have to be comfortable for sure. And there is no "one size fits all" especially if you take ear cup shape, headband preference, hotspots, weight and maybe the climate you are living in into account.

I had that pain behind the left ear with the Focal Elegia and I really hated the headband.
Audeze headphones wouldn't be for me either.

My initial impression with the liric was that the earcups are a little small, coming from the Noire. But I got really used to it.

I would definitely buy both again or go straight to TOTL headphones like the Dan Clark Stealth.

I probably wouldn't take the Noire (bit weird look) or the Liric (too expensive) outside.

I purchased a pair of these open box looking for a well-made closed back headphone that looked fantastic. I found all of that in the LIRIC. Six months later I ordered a new pair directly from Meze in Romania. Six months using the LIRIC everyday at work made me confident I found my endgame closed-back headphone and wanted a second pair that wouldn’t leave the house. This allows my well-used first pair to be my permanent work and walking commute pair. I EQ them sometimes, but sometimes I don’t. It’s all good.

I purchased a used pair of 99 Classics but was surprised how much different they were tuned. I have gotten used to the sound of those but don’t reach for them often.

I think Meze makes headphones that sound good to Antonio and his team. They are proud of what they make. But they also seem to react to feedback on their creations, and the headphones seem to be moving further from their initial house sound. I don’t know if Meze will release another headphone that is tuned like the LIRIC. My guess is no. Now that Empyrean has been revised, I think the Elite and LIRIC will get their due. I really don’t know if I would be interested in a LIRIC II, as I am quite happy with their first attempt. I am not one to chew through gear. I will likely purchase an open-back model from them, but my use case for an open back is so seldom, it is hard to justify even the price of the 109 Pro.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I purchased a pair of these open box looking for a well-made closed back headphone that looked fantastic. I found all of that in the LIRIC. Six months later I ordered a new pair directly from Meze in Romania. Six months using the LIRIC everyday at work made me confident I found my endgame closed-back headphone and wanted a second pair that wouldn’t leave the house. This allows my well-used first pair to be my permanent work and walking commute pair. I EQ them sometimes, but sometimes I don’t. It’s all good.

I purchased a used pair of 99 Classics but was surprised how much different they were tuned. I have gotten used to the sound of those but don’t reach for them often.

I think Meze makes headphones that sound good to Antonio and his team. They are proud of what they make. But they also seem to react to feedback on their creations, and the headphones seem to be moving further from their initial house sound. I don’t know if Meze will release another headphone that is tuned like the LIRIC. My guess is no. Now that Empyrean has been revised, I think the Elite and LIRIC will get their due. I really don’t know if I would be interested in a LIRIC II, as I am quite happy with their first attempt. I am not one to chew through gear. I will likely purchase an open-back model from them, but my use case for an open back is so seldom, it is hard to justify even the price of the 109 Pro.

Im still thrilled with my Liric. Love them.

Top Bottom