• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Meze 109 Pro

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Interesting non-invasive mod a Head-Fi'er stumbled on - adding foam disks from AKG K240s in the earpad opening smoothens out peaks and nulls at 3-6kHz majorly based on comparative measurements.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I'm returning mine. After 7 days of trying to get used to them, I still can't get over the highs, which are too painful for me. Unfortunately, I just couldn't find a good EQ settings to fix it.

I auditioned it. Good comfort, nice build quality, good tonal balance but there is a sharpness around the treble.
€ 800.- is not really cheap though and there are lots of alternatives at that price, the Ed XS would be a cheaper and not that different sounding alternative.

Using the K240 foam discs obscures the nice looking mesh but also prevents dust, hairs etc getting in there and seems to help with the treble.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I auditioned it. Good comfort, nice build quality, good tonal balance but there is a sharpness around the treble.
€ 800.- is not really cheap though and there are lots of alternatives at that price, the Ed XS would be a cheaper and not that different sounding alternative.

Using the K240 foam discs obscures the nice looking mesh but also prevents dust, hairs etc getting in there and seems to help with the treble.

It is a hard sell for me vs Audeze as well. The low distortion and high SPL capabilities distinguish itself from open dynamics in that price range.

Soria Moria

Personally, I think it's the pads that break in and change the sound.
Pad break-in/wear-in is definitely real. Oratory1990 has measurements of the DT 990 Pro with new and well worn pads and there is a lot of difference in the treble. I can't post them here though because his site has been down for a few months.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Pad break-in/wear-in is definitely real. Oratory1990 has measurements of the DT 990 Pro with new and well worn pads and there is a lot of difference in the treble. I can't post them here though because his site has been down for a few months.
That could be tested with a new pair by manually compressing the cushions to simulate breakdown of pad material.

Last edited:
OP
Peterinvan

Peterinvan

Matching Walnut Stand
The 109 Pros are still getting the most "head time" :)

1678469578265.png

Attachments

• 1678469578183.png
    1678469578183.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just had an extended audition of the 109 Pro at a quiet audio store, after a quick audition months back at the Singapore Canjam.

Gorgeous industrial design, haptics and seeming build. In my top rung for these factors alongside the DCA headphones, Audeze MM-500/LCD-5 frame, and Meze Empyrean.

Lightweight, with reassuring pressure that yields sufficient seal for satisfying bass extension. I was worried about the bass coming from equalised LCD-2s but there is a tasteful light midbass bump. 7kHz peakiness does make itself known. 2kHz is a bit too subdued, but I like the lack of weird high Q resonances and jagginess throughout the main pinna gain area. The midrange is pleasingly free of weird humps you see in boutique dynamics like Fostex TH900mk2 or Audio-Technica. Open pore wood feels lovely, as does the frame. Aluminium ribs feel a bit thin even though I know they are nicely machined.

Extremely open headphones. No sense of pressure buildup vs ambient pressure.

The jaggedness (much of which apparently resolved with the K240 front foam) and lack of 2kHz does give rise to a slightly distant yet strident sound. But it is relatively cohesive. The driver angling works well. In fact, stock, imaging feels a lot more finely differentiated and externalised than the Empyrean.

I really REALLY wanted to like the Empyrean because the industrial design and build is brilliant, as is the smoothness of the FR and planar extension. But i felt a weird sense of sound clinging to my earlobes that I suspect results from an odd transfer function with the odd oblong driver and its HF radiation. I would love to see eardrum measurements on an actual head.

Overall the 109 Pro is probably the next step up from the HD650 in bass extension, power handling, aesthetics, haptics and imaging.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just had an extended audition of the 109 Pro at a quiet audio store, after a quick audition months back at the Singapore Canjam.

Gorgeous industrial design, haptics and seeming build. In my top rung for these factors alongside the DCA headphones, Audeze MM-500/LCD-5 frame, and Meze Empyrean.

Lightweight, with reassuring pressure that yields sufficient seal for satisfying bass extension. I was worried about the bass coming from equalised LCD-2s but there is a tasteful light midbass bump. 7kHz peakiness does make itself known. 2kHz is a bit too subdued, but I like the lack of weird high Q resonances and jagginess throughout the main pinna gain area. The midrange is pleasingly free of weird humps you see in boutique dynamics like Fostex TH900mk2 or Audio-Technica. Open pore wood feels lovely, as does the frame. Aluminium ribs feel a bit thin even though I know they are nicely machined.

Extremely open headphones. No sense of pressure buildup vs ambient pressure.

The jaggedness (much of which apparently resolved with the K240 front foam) and lack of 2kHz does give rise to a slightly distant yet strident sound. But it is relatively cohesive. The driver angling works well. In fact, stock, imaging feels a lot more finely differentiated and externalised than the Empyrean.

I really REALLY wanted to like the Empyrean because the industrial design and build is brilliant, as is the smoothness of the FR and planar extension. But i felt a weird sense of sound clinging to my earlobes that I suspect results from an odd transfer function with the odd oblong driver and its HF radiation. I would love to see eardrum measurements on an actual head.

Overall the 109 Pro is probably the next step up from the HD650 in bass extension, power handling, aesthetics, haptics and imaging.
Doesn’t sound like much of a step, considering that the HD650, like most Sennheisers, have no bass at all! The company may be revered for detail retrieval as far as “reference-tuned” headphones go, but they have to be one of the most Harman-averse headphone manufacturers on earth. Based on my lackluster purchase of the Elites, I would say that Meze must be as well—the Elites are so muted in the high end (with either pad) that I feel a compulsive need for Q-Tips every time I put them on, while their 99 Classic is so bloated with bass that one wonders whether their engineers forgot to turn off their PEQ before they were put in production.

The majority of “premium” audiophile headphone manufacturers remain depressingly Luddite about Harman tuning. So many of them remain stuck in the classist, retrograde Stereophile era of flat, “reference” tuned headphones, as if the only market for these things was the stuffy Deutsche Grammophon critical listening set. They seem to have missed the memo that the audiophile consumer base has extended well beyond wood paneled libraries, turntables and overstuffed chairs (a pipe may also be involved), towards younger audio enthusiasts, raised on rock and other modern genres who are listening in game rooms, on bedroom nightstands, at computer workstations or on portables.

I made a rookie mistake going by corporate-funded websites and marketing hype when seeking out my first headphones when I first got into this hobby, and I started off pretentiously ambitious—I ended up with a set of Focal Utopias and Sony Z1Rs, at exorbitant expense, languishing for a couple of years trying to convince myself that this is what the unobtainium flagship options sounded like. It wasn’t until I stumbled upon this site that I learned otherwise.

It’s a joy to discover modern SOTA brands like Dan Clark and Hifiman that know what the hell they’re doing and what time it is. I don’t care how extravagantly headphones are designed or how resolving they are—if their manufacturers aren’t rigorous about proper tuning, they aren’t worth my time or money. I don’t mind adding a bit of PEQ, but if the low end starts rolling off logarithmically at 100 hz or the high end shatters glass, their designers aren’t paying attention and I’m out.

These 109s are just another Meze product that emphasizes style over substance. There’s nothing these things can offer that the Edition XS or Ananda Organic can’t do considerably better, at less cost. I think folks want to love how these and the 99 Classics sound because for a modest investment they make terrific show off pieces. Maybe that serves some valid purpose for others, and if they’re happy with their choices I think that’s terrific. But for me, I only care about the sound, comfort and price, and I think there’s too many viable alternatives to justify the cost of these latest cans from Meze.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hifiman has awful QC; I have on good authority by a major regional distributor that Hifiman has the highest RMA rates by a mile vs Audeze, DCA, Sennheiser, Meze, Fostex.

I'm more than familiar with Harman curves and their derivation. They are a great starting point. But to deem it a universal target is naive and dogmatic, especially when, as I show, it is merely one school of internally coherent thought among several others, each having no lesser claim to legitimacy rooted in psychoacoustics.

NDRQ

Doesn’t sound like much of a step, considering that the HD650, like most Sennheisers, have no bass at all! The company may be revered for detail retrieval as far as “reference-tuned” headphones go, but they have to be one of the most Harman-averse headphone manufacturers on earth. Based on my lackluster purchase of the Elites, I would say that Meze must be as well—the Elites are so muted in the high end (with either pad) that I feel a compulsive need for Q-Tips every time I put them on, while their 99 Classic is so bloated with bass that one wonders whether their engineers forgot to turn off their PEQ before they were put in production.

The majority of “premium” audiophile headphone manufacturers remain depressingly Luddite about Harman tuning. So many of them remain stuck in the classist, retrograde Stereophile era of flat, “reference” tuned headphones, as if the only market for these things was the stuffy Deutsche Grammophon critical listening set. They seem to have missed the memo that the audiophile consumer base has extended well beyond wood paneled libraries, turntables and overstuffed chairs (a pipe may also be involved), towards younger audio enthusiasts, raised on rock and other modern genres who are listening in game rooms, on bedroom nightstands, at computer workstations or on portables.

I made a rookie mistake going by corporate-funded websites and marketing hype when seeking out my first headphones when I first got into this hobby, and I started off pretentiously ambitious—I ended up with a set of Focal Utopias and Sony Z1Rs, at exorbitant expense, languishing for a couple of years trying to convince myself that this is what the unobtainium flagship options sounded like. It wasn’t until I stumbled upon this site that I learned otherwise.

It’s a joy to discover modern SOTA brands like Dan Clark and Hifiman that know what the hell they’re doing and what time it is. I don’t care how extravagantly headphones are designed or how resolving they are—if their manufacturers aren’t rigorous about proper tuning, they aren’t worth my time or money. I don’t mind adding a bit of PEQ, but if the low end starts rolling off logarithmically at 100 hz or the high end shatters glass, their designers aren’t paying attention and I’m out.

These 109s are just another Meze product that emphasizes style over substance. There’s nothing these things can offer that the Edition XS or Ananda Organic can’t do considerably better, at less cost. I think folks want to love how these and the 99 Classics sound because for a modest investment they make terrific show off pieces. Maybe that serves some valid purpose for others, and if they’re happy with their choices I think that’s terrific. But for me, I only care about the sound, comfort and price, and I think there’s too many viable alternatives to justify the cost of these latest cans from Meze.
No bass at all? The sub bass really lacking, but the other region of the bass are clearly present, the high bass is even a bit too much for some, especially on the HD650. I have a feeling that you probably never heard any 6xx series headphone.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hifiman has awful QC; I have on good authority by a major regional distributor that Hifiman has the highest RMA rates by a mile vs Audeze, DCA, Sennheiser, Meze, Fostex.

I'm more than familiar with Harman curves and their derivation. They are a great starting point. But to deem it a universal target is naive and dogmatic, especially when, as I show, it is merely one school of internally coherent thought among several others, each having no lesser claim to legitimacy rooted in psychoacoustics.
First of all, I never said that strict adherence to Harman curves was the definitive endpoint—I argued that bass rolloffs that start plummeting at 120hz were deviations from Harman compliance, and arguably classist and retrograde. Not every audiophile by a long shot listens exclusively to orchestral pieces. The snobbery inherent to scoffing at V shaped tuning for music that demands it is tiresomely insulting and exclusive, and this hard line drawn between tacky Beats Pro options for the unsophisticated listener and reference (ie flat as a pancake and bass poor), high priced options for audiophile aesthetes is an archaic principle that is no longer valid.

Second, Hifiman has exponentially improved their QC in the past couple of years, and their past reputation for sloppy builds continues to sully their efforts unfairly (at least among the price points I’ve bought). I have an Edition XS, HE1000se, Ananda Nano, HE1000 Stealth, previously owned the Arya Stealth and have auditioned or gifted many others in the past year and I’ve never seen so much as an infinitesimal flaw in any of them.

My 2020 Focal Utopias however, which cost two to three times as much, are subversively notorious for driver failure, and their customer service is abysmal. Their 2022 “upgrade” at almost $1,500 more, is virtually identical to the 2020 version, other than the driver failure issue being ostensibly fixed—their respective FRCs line up almost exactly, and they made a couple of marginal aesthetic changes, that’s it. And recently they were magnanimous enough to offer a $1,000 trade in for the old Utopias to go towards the price of the brand new ones! A reputable company would be transparent about their design flaw for a $4,400 investment and offer their customers a marginal, if any, price to trade in for a reliable unit. They didn’t.

Meanwhile HifiMan will honor any trade up from a lower priced model to a higher one for only the cost of shipping your cans in and a fraction of the list price difference—back when the Arya Stealths were $1,299 and the HE1000 Stealths were $1,999, I traded in my year-old Arya’s for the brand new HEK Stealths for $500 ($200 bucks less than the price difference with no depreciation).

That’s a rare gesture of honesty, transparency and generosity for a manufacturer in this market. How often do you get a deal paying full price for a set of high end headphones?

This entire forum is in part an exercise in holding headphones accountable to Harman compliance, and to date a scant few have passed muster—the Dan Clark options are one example with few peers, although the most recent HifiMan offerings have been put to the bench yet. The headphone market has been inscrutably indifferent to adopting a standard that has been quite rigorously validated as a strongly preferred one over old-school “reference” tuning, particularly when it comes to bass presence, and the only explanation is the persistence of bygone inviolable rules for what constitutes “audiophile” standards.

Pertinent to my original reply, during several periods in the past few years I included the full range of the iconic, lionized Sennheiser options in my audition processes, and indeed I found their soundstages and detail retrieval to be extraordinary—but I quickly concluded that anyone looking to one of these to generate any degree of excitement for rock music must be clinically insane. I’m pretty much bone-tired of reading reviews that pussyfoot around the lack of bass, pandering to their advertisers by using mealy mouthed language such as “although these headphones are by no means suited for bass heads, the low end is impeccably rendered and precise, never once encroaching on the mids, where the heart of the music lives”.

I defiantly reject the notion that anyone who values a robust bass response must be relegated to the “bass head” class, as if rock and other modern genres were the stuff of rubes and proletarians. There is no more glaring example of this than Meze’s own lineup, to the most exaggerated extent—their “consumer grade”, best selling standby, the 99 Classic, is so stuffed to the gills with bass that you can barely make out the fundamentals of the music, whereas the higher priced Elites (and now these 109 pros) have glaring bass roll offs. My Meze Elites are so inexplicably tuned that they are effectively the reverse of V shaped tuning—they lack bass and high end. I’ve come up with the most bizarre PEQ for those things, to rescue me from hearing vocals and nothing else.

I intended no contentiousness towards you with my response at all, despite how I may have come across. I tend to have strong opinions about products I’ve paid an excessive amount for that have left me with disappointment. And I’ve had a hell of a struggle trying to find a set of cans that suits my taste that are suitable for critical listening and excitement. HifiMan has been one manufacturer who has come through for me in this regard and treated me with generosity as a customer as well, and I’m eager to champion them for it. For those who are happy with the Sennheiser sound, they have my full respect—I just have altogether different tastes.

Top Bottom