• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Metronomic Music Explained By Beato

Wombat

Master Contributor

I can't stand it in any genre. Maybe it is not just compression on remasters that makes them unpalatable.

It is popular, though. I wonder why?

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
"Metronomic music" is not that simple. For people who really love quantized beats that technique represents an evolution and different form of listening.

Just like wanton compression, the technique can easily be used poorly. When Beato talks about quantization he talks about it like something that was added to the music, not something inherent to it. Jazz and its total explosion of the set composition represented something similar in the past, a kind of rhythmic and melodic freedom. Well, with electronic and now digital music, the freedom extends beyond the mechanical skill and constraints of the player's hand on the instrument.

Or maybe not, since you can easily consider the DAW an instrument itself, but operating in frozen time, completely open to manipulation.

I realize the music in question is rock and revolves around the idea of live people in live performance, but if you take rock which really crossed into the sphere of computer music and absorbed its styles, what Beato says stops making sense, or makes sense only in a very limited sphere.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Rock and Roll has movement. Marching music has regimented control. Some people like marching music. I am just not one of them. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom