• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Methods for measuring soundstage and imaging of headphones

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is an unusually high quality talk and worth a watch even for people who only care about speakers.

My only criticism is that they did not verify their new objective measures against listeners observing the same. Yes, they based it all on other studies but that alone doesn't confirm the efficacy of their new measurements for soundstage and such.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I wonder why the dummy on the left has a mouth...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Wombat

Master Contributor
Whenever I see discussion re soundstage I ask compared to what.

I tend to think the topic re soundstage in home systems is about more personal mental imaginings than any knowledge of the individual performance and its subsequent processing for playback mediums, let alone the difference in the original recording environment vs the home replay environments.

The Albert Hall is not your listening room. Which seat in the hall do you relate too? Do you add the noise floor(audience sounds) of performance. Too much navel-gazing for me.

Last edited:

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Whenever I see discussion re soundstage I ask compared to what.
In this case I think they are simply saying "compared to speakers".

In the vid I think they define speakers as the benchmark for soundstage, and then they try to use objective methods to compare how ears would respond to the headphones versus how they would respond to speakers.

I think they are sidestepping your philosophical objection.:)

Wombat

Master Contributor
In this case I think they are simply saying "compared to speakers".

In the vid I think they define speakers as the benchmark for soundstage, and then they try to use objective methods to compare how ears would respond to the headphones versus how they would respond to speakers.

I think they are sidestepping your philosophical objection.:)[/QUOT

I am not being philosophical.

The speakers can't reverse engineer what is not an accurate representation of a live performance in the first place and then perfect it for a different space.

Audio is not so complex, there are just individuals who wish to make it so. Just play your music on your system and enjoy it, warts and all.

Soundstage is to be experienced at live performances. Even then it is nebulous.

Last edited:

Cosmik

Major Contributor
I agree with you, but the people in the video aren't trying to measure the degree to which headphones represent a live performance, merely how well headphones simulate speakers (I think). If that is the case, then they haven't transgressed from the path of righteous objectivism.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I agree with you, but the people in the video aren't trying to measure the degree to which headphones represent a live performance, merely how well headphones simulate speakers (I think). If that is the case, then they haven't transgressed from the path of righteous objectivism.

One reproducer trying to emulate another reproducer and both destined to be inadequate in other than signal reproduction(at best).

Top Bottom