• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Metalhead seeking new Headphones

Jefrpol

I'm looking to update my current but aging desk system. Currently it consists of a Channel Islands Audio headphone amp, Peachtree Dac-it and Denon D2000 headphones. I've enjoyed it as long as I've had it - about 10 years - but the headphones are looking beat up, the headphone jack is loose and I want something new.

I've been considering anything from a Schitt Modius/Magnuis stack to either a D70/A90 or D90/A90 stack (I'm not sure there is any benefit to getting the D90 over the D70) with headphones I can then power via the xlr output. I haven't decided if I want to use the headphone amp as a pre-amp which, when decided, will I think lead me to one amp over the other.

I mostly listen to metal in almost all of its forms though not exclusively. It goes without saying that looking for opinions is at best frustrating. For instance, the Audeze LCD2c, which I am contemplating is either great, average or poor for metal.

At any rate, some of the phones I'm thinking about are the Focal Elears, the Audezes or the Hifiman Ananda. My biggest concern with the Hifiman are questions about their quality control. I haven't quite settled into a budget but for this system I don't think I'd want to spend more than $800 on headphones.

I'm mostly curious about what metal fan members use for headphones so as to maybe focus my search a bit or consider phones I hadn't thought to consider.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm mostly a metalhead. Stax are my favorite.

You may have hunt around on ebay for good deals though. They seem to be phasing out their more entry level stuff now.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I'm looking to update my current but aging desk system. Currently it consists of a Channel Islands Audio headphone amp, Peachtree Dac-it and Denon D2000 headphones. I've enjoyed it as long as I've had it - about 10 years - but the headphones are looking beat up, the headphone jack is loose and I want something new.

I've been considering anything from a Schitt Modius/Magnuis stack to either a D70/A90 or D90/A90 stack (I'm not sure there is any benefit to getting the D90 over the D70) with headphones I can then power via the xlr output. I haven't decided if I want to use the headphone amp as a pre-amp which, when decided, will I think lead me to one amp over the other.

I mostly listen to metal in almost all of its forms though not exclusively. It goes without saying that looking for opinions is at best frustrating. For instance, the Audeze LCD2c, which I am contemplating is either great, average or poor for metal.

At any rate, some of the phones I'm thinking about are the Focal Elears, the Audezes or the Hifiman Ananda. My biggest concern with the Hifiman are questions about their quality control. I haven't quite settled into a budget but for this system I don't think I'd want to spend more than $800 on headphones.

I'm mostly curious about what metal fan members use for headphones so as to maybe focus my search a bit or consider phones I hadn't thought to consider.
I am very happy listening to metal with Modius, Magnius, and Focal Clears. Way better than HD6XX or LCDX to me. I had been planning to build a big headphone collection but lost interest for now at the Clears. Clears are 1k if you shop but Elex and Elear should have similar magic. I guess it is the detail in the critical range and maybe the FR that are so good. I am sure Topping will sound like Schiit, so that is a matter of features, feelings, looks, etc.

Never heard Stax so can't comment.

edit: just fixed spelling

Last edited:

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
That's an interesting question.

Something like this presents a bit of everything:

Nice, I got into them after the newest album.

This is a fairly complex song but the headphones do a good job at separating the different elements going on, though the more black metal part in the back half of the song is congested. Probably more just the production. I think by default there is a treble dip that can make things a bit hollow with the LCD-2C at times, I recommend oratory1990's EQ settings but I think it mostly just sounds different with/without EQ, not "so much better I have to listen this way" if that makes sense.

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Nothing wrong with D2000, legendary headphones. D5200 are on my wishlist now as are the DT1770, with the 770 being my current favorites. Some new pads and maybe a cable with a Schiit stack would be great.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
That's an interesting question.

Something like this presents a bit of everything:

This sounds brilliant with Schiit + Clear. A lot of dynamic range in this recording and the ending reminds me of moving around in a concert and changing distances from speakers. Baroness uses this dynamic range manipulation to good effect too.

Based on another earlier impression about Focal from @JohnYang1997 I would stick with Clear or Elex if you get Focals. The decent cables will save you some money on budget.

Ananda is my favorite.
Now I am interested in buying another pair of headphones.

Have you compared Ananda to LCD-X? I am not a big fan of LCD-X and generally prefer the Clear.

OP
J

Jefrpol

Nice, I got into them after the newest album.

This is a fairly complex song but the headphones do a good job at separating the different elements going on, though the more black metal part in the back half of the song is congested. Probably more just the production. I think by default there is a treble dip that can make things a bit hollow with the LCD-2C at times, I recommend oratory1990's EQ settings but I think it mostly just sounds different with/without EQ, not "so much better I have to listen this way" if that makes sense.

Thanks for the feedback. I got into their prior band just before HSN formed. All of their stuff is enjoyable. I do agree that the faster part is congested as a result of the recording as it sounds that way on everything I've played it on.

I'll have to look at the Focals. My original plan was to go with the Schitt stack and Hifiman Sundaras as it's not my primary listening space. I only started to rethink the electronics when I wondered if I actually wanted to use the head amp as a pre-amp as well. With the outs always on, I think the Schitt is less than ideal as it would trigger my sub even when using headphones.

I had thought, based on rtings.com that the Ananda would be most to my liking but I hate seeing the words 'quality control' in a review when it is listed as a concern.

ferrellms

Put the Shure 1840 on your list - this graph shows the DIFFERENCES between the Shure (represented as the flat line) and other good phones. The HiFiMan is the only other phone with the bass of the Shure. The Shure matches the others in the midrange and hits the average of all the others on the treble end.

Attachments

• srh1840compare.png
    srh1840compare.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 97
OP
J

Jefrpol

Nothing wrong with D2000, legendary headphones. D5200 are on my wishlist now as are the DT1770, with the 770 being my current favorites. Some new pads and maybe a cable with a Schiit stack would be great.

I always thought the D2000s were perfect for metal but my pair are pretty beat up. I've replaced the pads but their time is basically up.

weasels

I listened to that track through my HD6XX and Grado 325s. Def prefer it through the Grados. Same electronics for both - Topping D10 & Schiit Magni 3.

Top Bottom