• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Meta’s AI-powered audio codec EnCodec promises 10x compression over MP3

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is on the page I linked.

Ctrl+F can't find it - so it is an image ;-)
The post is the same one I posted on the thread I started but still I cannot see SOTA or State of the Art written on any of the images used on that page. Purely out of curiosity can you tell us at what image you see that. There are only two static images on the article.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The post is the same one I posted on the thread I started but still I cannot see SOTA or State of the Art written on any of the images used on that page. Purely out of curiosity can you tell us at what image you see that. There are only two static images on the article.

Here is the quote that I think may have inspired the OP, captured for posterity and for all the future generations that might get confused by the title:

1667912012153.png

JayGilb

Major Contributor
How does it affect the end user or is this a boon for streaming services/cell providers ?
I live in a tiny shitsplat of a town (1000 population) and have 5G phone coverage and 1 Gbyte fiber to the house.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How does it affect the end user or is this a boon for streaming services/cell providers ?
I live in a tiny shitsplat of a town (1000 population) and have 5G phone coverage and 1 Gbyte fiber to the house.
They pay for the bandwidth they buy and case less powerful towers.

Roland68

Major Contributor
The Ground Truth (original) is good enough for me. Their AI compressed audio just sounds horrible.
Certainly they only omit musically irrelevant data from the music :facepalm:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Impressive. That leaves 58kb/s of bandwidth for Meta to transmit your personal data.
And if it works like everything thing else Meta, it will take years and billions of dollars and never work right. That's good though, we have nothing to worry about :)

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So umm, why do we need ever increasing compression in a world where bandwidth and data storage is ever increasing? Something seems backwards here to me.

Top Bottom