• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Fair enough. But I get the feeling that there is more than that going on. I'd love to see a poll taken here with the following question: do you believe that in 150 years, there will be technology that will manipulate the signals coming from recordings from the 1970s in such a way that the recordings sound lifelike, live and much more pleasing and real than those recordings sound now? I have a feeling you would be surprised at the results of that poll.

Do the poll then.

ralphf

2 channel stereo can get really close to realism, but the 3 channel system adds the extra realism we seem to be missing.
Many moons ago, I had a receiver pre/pro ( sorry don't recall what make and model it was ) with 3 channel stereo and i have to admit it was nice listening to it.

It's actually very interesting to me. Just what is it that gets in the way of us hearing that "extra realism we seem to be missing". If you are after that extra realism, there's little sense in chasing transparency when the source itself cannot account for the missing realism. Hard to say where the problem lies (playback or capture or both), but certainly something is missing. We listen to music (suspension of disbelief) much like we do when we watch movies on a TV. It works good enough, but to chase transparency with regard to it seems to be a very small half-measure.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I do miss Corey Greenberg. He would have written something much better, or mercilessly leaned into the malapropism - “The Shunyata was like an audio demolition crew, piling up the slabs of smoke with a crane and removing them on a flatbed”.

whatever happened to him?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone tell me in which part of the forum I can submit a thread about an amplifier we want to build based on Hypex modules? We want to make the chassis from an aluminum billet and I want to use the wisdom of the crowd about thermal dissipation and ventilation, etcetera...

how about the analog amp section?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Very impressive indeed

It is, and if you haven't studied it (and clearly you haven't), it will be very worthwhile to do so. Then you can actually grasp how truly impressive it is.

ralphf

It is, and if you haven't studied it (and clearly you haven't), it will be very worthwhile to do so. Then you can actually grasp how truly impressive it is.

I was referring to you, not the lectures. But If I have to read Feynman's lectures on physics in order to have an intelligent discussion with you that involves actual idea sharing rather than anemic ad hominems, I think I'm going to pass. Can you please put me on "unsubscribe"?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I was referring to you, not the lectures. But If I have to read Feynman's lectures on physics in order to have an intelligent discussion with you that involves actual idea sharing rather than anemic ad hominems, I think I'm going to pass. Can you please put me on "unsubscribe"?

It's for your benefit, not mine.

Robin L

Master Contributor
whatever happened to him?
Looks like Corey Greenberg might have run into some ethics issues when he was reviewing gear for the Today show while getting paid by Apple to tout their products elsewhere. He also touted their products on-air at NBC. This was around 2005. He is still registered at the Hoffman forum but hasn't been active thee since 2018. He was a fun writer but he also enabled other audio writers to attempt to go gonzo by virtue of his example The Gonzo element appears mostly to function as a hyperbole multiplier.

A quote from Stereophile's archives [2009]:

Corey had a superb talent both as a writer and a listener. When I first encountered him, in 1989, he was the house engineer at a radio station in Austin, TX. He wrote for Stereophile from 1990 through 1994, after which he joined Home Theater Technology, the predecessor to Home Theater magazine. He flared brightly there, then crashed and burned in spectacular fashion, trashing, I am told, the magazine's viewing room in the process. He had a column in Stereo Review for a while and promoted the magazine on speaking tours before becoming the editor of Audio magazine for its final 18 months.
After the Today Show's gadget guru was fired for cocaine abuse, Corey took over that gig, and did very well at it, until it was discovered that he was taking kickbacks from companies to promote their products on the TV show.
You can still find his writings at http://shaveblog.com/ .
John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile
Corey Greenberg Revisited - And You Think Gordon Holt Was Funny?? | Stereophile.com

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
That's what all salesmen say.

If you are equating the second law of thermodynamics with time travel (as in your earlier post) then it would well behoove you to read the first book in the Feynman series. It is well-written and provides a great introduction to basic physics that pretty much anyone can grasp.

As for @SIY you might want to look him up before calling him a "salesman".

Helicopter

Major Contributor
If you are equating the second law of thermodynamics with time travel (as in your earlier post) then it would well behoove you to read the first book in the Feynman series. It is well-written and provides a great introduction to basic physics that pretty much anyone can grasp.

As for @SIY you might want to look him up before calling him a "salesman".
He might want to look @SIY up before trying further to outfox him too. ;)

PaulD

He might want to look @SIY up before trying further to outfox him too. ;)
Indeed Helicopter! We are honoured to have the likes of JJ, SIY and ScottW (for example) here to converse with. I am not fit to stand in their shadow (although I was once honoured by SW as he asked me to review one of his mic preamp articles for Linear Audio). To see any of them called a "salesman" by a random internet person with no relevant or equivalent decades of background and experience is egregious (and if you do have such decades of background and experience, then out yourself). These people have developed much of the basis (DSP algorithms, chips and IC design and amplifier design) that we rely on for high-quality audio. While I think all of them would brush such a ridiculous slight off, posters here should have a better understanding of who they are dealing with. Not everyone here is a random internet nobody...

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be honest, I had not looked up SIY until just now, but I could tell he was an expert by what he says and how he says it.

Appeal to authority is a common cognitive bias, after all. :)

But we are indeed honored to be able to learn from, chat with, and even argue with people whose talents and experiences we revere.

The Internet, which gives random bozos like me a voice, also makes it possible to get to know people who are not random bozos. That coin has two sides. But we have to make sure that the tarnish on the random bozo side doesn't bleed around to the shiny side.

Rick "who does not participate in forums where he is not a random bozo--too much like work" Denney

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Click on their name to go to their member profile, then the "about" tab. For those that have filled it out. Also good to see listings of their activity and other posts.
I find it pretty funny when a newer member starts to argue with someone who is a published expert or has extensive experience going back decades in the field. ASR is not your usual audio forum, we are lucky to have such experts among us.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
...tried "Raindog123/about" as a test... absolutely nothing impressive... a random internet joe shmoe from Florida.
Florida Man is a major internet sensation. Wear it proudly!

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Florida Man is a major internet sensation. Wear it proudly!

IMG_0918.JPG

ralphf

Perhaps it is you who should "behoove" yourself to open your mind before you give unsolicited advice to others. But its irrelevant anyway, because neither physics nor time travel had anything to do with the discussion whatsoever at any point.

http://cosmology.com/PopovicConsciousTime.pdf
https://blogs.scientificamerican.co...un-afoul-of-the-second-law-of-thermodynamics/
https://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2018/04/03/599122774/time-travel-with-your-fridge
https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...l-a-violation-of-second-law-of-thermodynamics

Top Bottom