• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
it would lead me to believe they are just full of placebo.
@DonR. Already got this. The term would be "cognitive bias" which covers a wide range of pyscoacoustic events and other issues. I often use the term "expectation bias" as well which fits under the cognitive bias heading. Anyway.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They're all over 50 and can't hear dick at 16khz never mind 20k.

But they can't hear the other stuff they claim either...
Not entirely true. The ones that offer advertising can hear the crinkle of fresh bills ;)

Madlop26

Cognitive bias
It seems many types of cognitive bias are involved here:
All Starts with "implicit bias" (thinking the more expensive music device should sound better) then follows with "expectation bias" (Tendency interpret information in a way that confirms one's preconceptions) then they come to ASR forums armed with many other cognitive bias like; "belief bias" (Tendency to evaluate the logical strength of an argument based on current belief), "framing" (Tendency to narrow the description of a situation in order to guide to a selected conclusion), "Overconfidence effect" aka Dunning–Kruger effect (Tendency to overly trust one's own capability to make correct decisions. People tended to overrate their abilities and skills as decision makers)
And finally they end up with "anchoring bias" (The inability of people to make appropriate adjustments from a starting point in response to a final answer)

and yes I got all these from Wikipedia, lol

DonR

Major Contributor
All Starts with "implicit bias" (thinking the more expensive music device should sound better) then follows with "expectation bias" (Tendency interpret information in a way that confirms one's preconceptions) then they come to ASR forums armed with many other cognitive bias like; "belief bias" (Tendency to evaluate the logical strength of an argument based on current belief), "framing" (Tendency to narrow the description of a situation in order to guide to a selected conclusion), "Overconfidence effect" aka Dunning–Kruger effect (Tendency to overly trust one's own capability to make correct decisions. People tended to overrate their abilities and skills as decision makers)
And finally they end up with "anchoring bias" (The inability of people to make appropriate adjustments from a starting point in response to a final answer)

yes, cognitive bias is a catch-all to say "it's all in your head". There is also recency bias which also works along with/against auditory memory which is incredibly short.

Steve H

I get my basic bias information from Statement on Auditing Standards No. 142 Appendix B and add from experience.

My god I wish this type of post was allowed at Head-fi. I think I am going to migrate here as I cannot bear another argument on that forum with people that refuse to understand that claims require evidence and if everything was just left to our fallible subjective opinions we would be nowhere. My biggest issue is people who do not have an open mind to being proven wrong. Personally I love being wrong, it means i get closer to the truth and wont go believing something without justification any longer.

Hello ASR, very glad to be here. Any great threads I should start with beyond this one?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My god I wish this type of post was allowed at Head-fi. I think I am going to migrate here as I cannot bear another argument on that forum with people that refuse to understand that claims require evidence and if everything was just left to our fallible subjective opinions we would be nowhere. My biggest issue is people who do not have an open mind to being proven wrong. Personally I love being wrong, it means i get closer to the truth and wont go believing something without justification any longer.

Hello ASR, very glad to be here. Any great threads I should start with beyond this one?
Welcome. Don’t know your interest and knowledge. But for general reading the Reference Library section has a wealth of good basic info and plenty of myth busters.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I just tend to look at the "what's new" tab for an idea of the current hot topics.

The Chord review threads are, err, interesting.

Welcome. Don’t know your interest and knowledge. But for general reading the Reference Library section has a wealth of good basic info and plenty of myth busters.
Thanks m8. I will definitely check the section out.
I just tend to look at the "what's new" tab for an idea of the current hot topics.

The Chord review threads are, err, interesting.
Hahaha I will swing by and take a look.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Thanks m8. I will definitely check the section out.

Hahaha I will swing by and take a look.
Welcome!
There are quite a few great long term threads going on like the one with the term "god of sinad" in the title. You can search it.
Otherwise the what's new tab as someone suggested. Traffic on the site varies based on what new reviews come out and how interesting people find them to be.
Mostly any more popular (or controversial) product will have lots of posts and conversations.

killdozzer

Major Contributor

Welcome! Do you mean operational when you say op-amp?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks m8. I primarily would like to learn a bit more about op-amps and the circuts used in headphone/power amps. My background is recording and live sound so I am familiar with usage of the equipment but not the science behind it.
Then have a look into the DIY Audio forum.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Navigation help:

Top Bottom