• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please come help out for a few weeks over at Reddit's r/headphoneadvice and r/budgetaudiophile. See all the people who do not have a lot of disposable income. Help them to optimize sound performance for their budget. And then realize how much it does matter for a lot of people.

Let's not equate the marketing cons that go on in this hobby as some kind of harmless illusion. The problem is that so many people don't know it is illusion. And the con is so successful that consumers pass it on to other consumers.

Really well put.

David Harper

My bike is ten years old and on it's last legs. I've got it all micky-moused up to keep it going. I think my next one will be this;

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...l-sport/dual-sport-1/p/32885/?colorCode=black
1627654588297.png

but I'm told they won't have one in stock until maybe sept. In fact trek doesn't have a single bike available right now and they won't say for sure when they will. But I will have to get a different seat. The one in the picture looks like murder.

Last edited:

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ten years old and on its last legs? What, did you drive over it with your car?

My newest bike is well over 20 years old, and I keep it in a state of good repair, which means as the manufacturer intended it at any time I want to use it.

If it no longer fulfills requirements because your needs have changed, that's a whole other thing.

Rick "get it fixed" Denney

Freeway

My newest bike is well over 20 years old, and I keep it in a state of good repair, which means as the manufacturer intended it at any time I want to use it.
Rick "get it fixed" Denney

Talk about newest/old, look what my son bought last night. A Giant TCR compact composite. From 2005 we believe. Pristine. Doubt that it has been ridden more than a few miles.

PS I guess he decided not to go steel.

IMG-0182.jpg

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still keep promising myself to buy a Colnago Master or stainless steel Mercian with a Dura Ace group set. Unfortunately it is going to have to wait for the kids to finish their education and find their own way :(

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, everyone, I just got the boot from the Computer Audiophile website. In fact, a special pile-on thread was created in my "honor" so everyone could join into insulting and name-calling. And why? Because I ridiculed the notion of spending huge amounts on "audiophile" USB cables and SSDs, reminding people that zeroes and ones don't change as a function of the media in which they reside and migrate.

Fun times. I had actually thought the head guy over there had more integrity than to condone that sort of nonsense. Sadly I was mistaken.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, everyone, I just got the boot from the Computer Audiophile website. In fact, a special pile-on thread was created in my "honor" so everyone could join into insulting and name-calling. And why? Because I ridiculed the notion of spending huge amounts on "audiophile" USB cables and SSDs, reminding people that zeroes and ones don't change as a function of the media in which they reside and migrate.

Fun times. I had actually thought the head guy over there had more integrity than to condone that sort of nonsense. Sadly I was mistaken.
What website is that? Debunking those ridiculous claims of digital type conductors for simpletons is tedious at best. :facepalm: They don't understand digital fundamentals and the amount of waveform indecisiveness required to taint a digital transmission.

David Harper

Same thing happened to me on the audiogon forum when I posted in a speaker wire thread. Jeeez they get pissed at you. And they all agree with each other so you're pretty much toast.

David Harper

There's one audio forum (could be audiogon, not sure) where if you mention the words "blind testing" you get the boot.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

At least now you have more time for the "good" websites.

A friend sent a link last week, I've forgotten what site, wherein somebody was complaining his ISP changed his cable modem and now the music was all compressed and bass was lacking. He's trying to get his old modem back. I have an old modem around I'd be glad to send; my ISP "upgraded" my service, and told me I needed a new DOCSIS 3.1 modem to get the higher speed, so I bought one and installed it. Exactly the same bit rate as before, which was about half the max rate of my old plan (and about 1/3 the max rate of the new); they are the bottleneck, not my modem. But it did not change the sound of my music files in the slightest. Must be my unresolving system, cheap cables, or just lousy ears and inability to process sounds.

steve59

Major Contributor
For the sake of conversation, lemmings are lemmings wherever flocked together:) There may be something to the usb cables though I wouldn't suggest magic sauce, I might suggest with most products available today being outsourced a minimum standard may not be being met by the walmart special. In fact I have spent as much as $40 on a usb cable in hopes of competent manufacture. Bring out the flamethrowers.

Daverich4

What website is that? Debunking those ridiculous claims of digital type conductors for simpletons is tedious at best. :facepalm: They don't understand digital fundamentals and the amount of waveform indecisiveness required to taint a digital transmission.

Audiophilestyle.com

egellings

Major Contributor
Your beliefs about a product likely influence how you perceive the sound of it as long as you can see it in operation.

3dbinCanada

Ten Signs that you may be suffering from Audiophilus Nervosa, the neurotic behavior of the self-described "Audiophile":

#1: You have a box full of line level interconnects but can only use two pair at any given time. Nope
#2: You have multiple LP copies of the same title, being wrapped up in the search for "The Perfect Copy". Nope
#3: You have, at one time or another, used a green marker on your CDs or attached "rings" to said CDs, and can hear the difference. Nope
#4: You have adjusted VTA on your tonearm so many times, you have worn out the screws. Once or twice to see if I could heard a difference
#5: You are "into" swapping tubes. Sounds kinky.. Sorry no
#6: You have "Upgraded" your electronic gear with "High-End" passive parts. Does more flexible HDMI cables count?
#7: You have a re-clocking device between your digital source and your DAC, and the DAC set you back $10,000.00 Can I borrow 10G?
#8: There are scratch marks all over your floor from constantly re-positioning your heavy floorstanding speakers. I can explain
#9: You KNOW LPs sound better. Some do some dont.
#10: You get into a pointless argument on ASR and then get blocked.
Nope

Answers embedded in this funny shade of red.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Audiophilestyle.com
I surfed it a bit and found a thread where a major contributor said

"Amending this comment made before discovering how good Audio Linux is as source solution OS. SSD's tend to be bright and irritating for sound when using Audio Linux, a hard drive sounds more natural but does lose some high frequency sparkle. I find myself preferring class 10 SDXC storage media as the best compromise between the two and in all cases external USB3 attached to allow independent power supply for the drive sounded better than internal SATA attached."

Dumbfounded.

Top Bottom