• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That cut and paste was a non sequitur.
Perhaps because I was responding to the thread subject (ie on topic), not you?

We have a 'reply' function that clarifies that sort of thing. Used it in this post, in fact.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
And I do have to say that speaker cable (wire) at £37000/metre is quite funny. So is the idea that they'd let you lot test it.

It's comical. That's for sure

Thankfully ASR doesn't rely on the manufacturers delivering gear for testing. Anybody, who has the balls, can send their privately owned gear to Amir.

We haven't seen anything quite as ridiculous as those Nordost cables yet*, but some of the stuff in the archives comes pretty close.

*Not that there would be much point in testing them. Every set of speaker cables that has been tested so far gave the same result: Zero difference besides RCL parameters... As expected.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, maybe a thread on the most outrageous kit available would work!

One of many. The snakes are legion.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I may have misunderstood,
Indeed. Since this:
from believing that I would hear better things the more I spent through to understanding that my budget, my hearing and, yes, the science behind sound reproduction can inform much better choices.
can not pertain to Nordost cables. While we're at it, all con-brands fear testing. That's the only true reason they wouldn't send it.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Newman

Major Contributor
Yep. Sarcasm Without Signposts is a recipe for disaster on discussion forums. People should know this by now.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
all con-brands fear testing
That's the real tell. If it really is a night-and-day difference, as claimed, or is visible in measurements, they would be thrilled to send their equipment for testing/review. If you could PROVE your cables improved sound? That's business Nirvana! An honest, super high margin product.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
That's the real tell. If it really is a night-and-day difference, as claimed, or is visible in measurements, they would be thrilled to send their equipment for testing/review. If you could PROVE your cables improved sound? That's business Nirvana! An honest, super high margin product.
I agree, I always thought so.

Yes, humour intended - but not to misdirect. Nor any sarcasm. That Nordost Cable is weapons-grade BS we are all familiar with. And if you follow the equation of doom (spend more x believe "experts" = better sound) you may well end up with a pair. And if they were measurably better than standard cable, just how much better would they need to be to justify the price? Sadly, I don't think ASR will get to test them (or any other unicorn solutions) because a). the manufacturer won't let you demo and b). no one who has signed up to ASR would dream of buying any to forward for testing.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Yes, humour intended - but not to misdirect. Nor any sarcasm. That Nordost Cable is weapons-grade BS we are all familiar with. And if you follow the equation of doom (spend more x believe "experts" = better sound) you may well end up with a pair. And if they were measurably better than standard cable, just how much better would they need to be to justify the price? Sadly, I don't think ASR will get to test them (or any other unicorn solutions) because a). the manufacturer won't let you demo and b). no one who has signed up to ASR would dream of buying any to forward for testing.
You probably know that Gene (of Audioholics fame) openly invited people from AudioQuest to test their cables together with them. Sure enough, it never happened and Gene even ran into some problems after openly talking about music programs being manipulated for audio shows to create illusion of expensive cables sounding better. He lost some sponsors and some lawsuits were set in motion.

Earthbound

“Improved” measurement wise is different from a persons ears and brain. I‘ve heard significant differences in speaker wire with my system but have no idea which one improved the sound. They were just different. I’m sure many claims are intentionally vague. They know what there doing from an advertising point of view.

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I‘ve heard significant differences in speaker wire with my system but have no idea which one improved the sound. They were just different. I’m sure many claims are intentionally vague. They know what there doing from an advertising point of view.

In a controlled blind test? Yeah, didn't think so.

Claiming that the cables improve the sound is much, much more believeable and acceptable claim if we would agree that the same cables actually change the sound. And I guess, as a collective, we don't (discounting POS contraptions that are far from hifi ideals).

“Improved” measurement wise is different from a persons ears and brain. I‘ve heard significant differences in speaker wire with my system but have no idea which one improved the sound. They were just different. I’m sure many claims are intentionally vague. They know what there doing from an advertising point of view.
Maybe one of the cables is defective (most likely capacitance or inductive properties) in way, that sounds good to you? You won't find a modern amp, that's bad enough to care about any other electric properties of a straight wire.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I mean in the sense that it is "improved" or not? Because hearing a difference is possible if the cables have different impedance or one of them is partially broken or not connected properly.
However sound improvement is not really something that is possible unless you are replacing a cable that falls into the aforementioned categorizes. Since it is just wire it cannot be "tuned" to sound "good" it just transmits the signal.

Top Bottom