• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mesh WiFi recommendations?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My (old) google wifi pucks x 3 have always worked perfectly with no detectable loss in speed. I like that you can wire two devices into each puck, and the signal extends to my entire property.
I installed Google mesh in my Dad’s apartment. It works pretty well, but lacks the diagnostics that you have with the Amplifi app. Also, the whole network just seems to crash every now and then. My ubuquiti stuff doesn’t have to be rebooted occasionally.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Amazon Eero Pro works great in our places. I recommend 1 node per every 1200 sq ft or so, depending on your space is split up.

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
I have Netgear's MR60 and its satellite MS 60: works well and caters for the dozens 20 or so things wirelessly connected to the network. Can recommend.

OP
P

poxymoron

Can you do wired backhaul or no?
No, I've no plans to do wired.
That's a lot of feedback guys and plenty of recommendations,which I appreciate, thanks. I'll have a look at them all over the next few days.

Peterinvan

Seamless Roaming?​

I have a Lynksys Velop WHW01, connected to wired Ethernet in my den. I set it up in Bridged mode.
I have my IP provider’s Hitron modem with WiFi at the other end of my condo. The condo walls are filled with with pipes and wireing so the WiFI signal is absorbed.

I expected that if I name both WiFi access point the same, and with the same password, I could move seamlesly from one end of the condo to the other, and my device would just switch automatically.

I tried many setup permutations, but when I go to my Den or vice versa I have to switch WiFi manually.

Any advice?

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Seamless Roaming?​

I have a Lynksys Velop WHW01, connected to wired Ethernet in my den. I set it up in balanced mode.
I have my IP provider’s Hitron modem with WiFi at the other end of my condo. The condo walls are filled with with pipes and wireing so the WiFI signal is absorbed.

I expected that if I name both WiFi access point the same, and with the same password, I could move seamlesly from one end of the condo to the other, and my device would just switch automatically.

I tried many setup permutations, but when I go to my Den or vice versa I have to switch WiFi manually.

Any advice?

Is the Linksys set to 'Bridge Mode'? (equivalent of 'AP Only Mode' on my Asus)...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m using TP-Link Deco M9+. They work pretty well all-in-all. It’s no longer the latest technology stack though.
Me too.

They have the advantage over some of the cheaper models of a dedicated wireless backhaul channel - with Gb wired, if you want to install wired backhaul.

I've also just added an extra M3W to give better coverage in the garage for my CNC router.

Last edited:

Peterinvan

MrOtto

Asus AiMesh supported routers, very easy to set up, one-click setup in the Asus app. You don't need the same Asus type of router, it just has to support AiMesh.
I buy them used, to expand the WiFi coverage as it is needed.
One WiFi SSID (WiFi network name) for the whole house, incluceds both 2.4 and 5GHz bands.

I buy the more powerful Asus routers with better WiFi chips, with at least 512MB ram and faster dual core CPUs. For example Asus AX92U or even better AX86U. These are one of the top routers tested on https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/ for range and speed, WiFi and NAS performance.

I would buy Netgear or Asus. Stay away from D-link, I have had much trouble with their products. Also stay away for Chinese network connected equipment for example TP-Link, for privacy issues.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m using TP-Link Deco M9+. They work pretty well all-in-all. It’s no longer the latest technology stack though.
I also have this exact model, 3 of them connected by Ethernet cable and spread throughout the house. Works great, I am very satisfied with them and highly recommend these and probably the other Decos as well.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amplifi dropped off my list after seeing that their iOS app would automatically ping WeChat servers for SSO just to confirm that the services were live. I reported this to tech support and got to Level 3 support only to be told that this was not a bug and was intended behavior. I don’t think pinging global servers unnecessarily is good network hygiene and allowing users to disable this feature was too much to ask.

This was back in 2019. I haven’t bothered to look into Ubiquiti or Amplifi products since. I don’t know if they still do this.

The Netgear Orbi Pro line is pretty reliable although it doesn’t have the same peak speeds as regular Orbi in favor of reserving bandwidth for the mesh. It also drops smartphone app support, so there are fewer features. You do get a good web interface and the router capabilities are nice with multiple VLANs and access points. It lacks the 2.5/5.0GbE wired ports of the consumer line so it’s not a great system as a primary all in one system for some people if that is going to be your primary wired switch for high speed data. Used as a mesh access point system with wired ports for your IOT and home theater devices, it’s great. Lots of convenience and reliability. I run a hybrid wired and wireless backhaul and use this to run my smart TV / AVR and consoles with a wired connection for improved overall performance. (The antennas in most smart devices are poor compared to the antennas in the Orbi Pro).

The Orbi non-Pro has been reviewed at Smallnetbuilder and performs nicely and acts more like an all-in-one setup.

Top Bottom