• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mesanovic RTM10

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Cardioid/supercardioid design is upcoming pretty keenly priced too this autumn!
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You know how audiophiles make claims which clearly violate the known laws of physics? Creating direct radiators which don't gradually narrow in dispersion as you increase frequency is kind of like that. There are two exceptions, one is that as loudspeaker cones break up, they effectively turn into a collection of smaller sources, widening directivity. This behavior is chaotic and not really a design strategy for anyone making an accurate speaker. The other exception is the BMR driver, which uses tiny weights to control breakup behavior and increase dispersion.

This looks to be an absolutely excellent speaker, I don't know who decided to call it CD but I doubt it was the designer.
Almost certainly my error, the main monitors were a ‘bespoke’ design, I believe main monitors designs are in the pipeline configurable to the clients requirements, with less screws!
Keith

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Almost certainly my error, the main monitors were a ‘bespoke’ design, I believe main monitors designs are in the pipeline configurable to the clients requirements, with less screws!
Keith

I knew it was your error, Keith, I was just being polite. That's a dealer's mistake, not a designer's mistake.

I actually like the screws, reminds me of classic British designs.

It's really cool that you're selling these speakers in the UK, it's an unusual product which would be at home in a hifi or studio setting.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I would have got away with it too, on any other forum...
Keith

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would have got away with it too, on any other forum...
Keith
I'm curious how you and Mesanovic learned about each other? How did you guys connect?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Almost certainly someone here mentioned them, same with GGNTKT, I can’t claim any special loudspeaker divination skills, but their measurements looked good and sound quality is excellent.
Keith

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I asked Deni (Denial Mesanovic) about the design and effectiveness of the platforms, I ordered a pair to try.
This is Deni’s reply,
Quote,
‘The springs used in the Iso platform are specifically chosen to provide proper loading of the springs with speakers ranging from 40-110lbs bring the naturally frequency of the system to around 4-6Hz with decoupling starting around 8Hz. Changing the springs for ones with different parameters would completely change the function of the platforms.

I performed extensive measurements using accelerometers to measure transmission with and without the platforms across the entire bandwidth. The reduction of vibrations to the first surface and stand/console/walls/floors were dramatic especially when listening to bass heavy music and at higher SPL levels.

Many studios/setups probably already have heavy duty stands that perform just fine, but the platforms are really meant to squeeze out every last bit of performance increase. We mainly designed them to mount on Sound Anchor stands since that is the most widely used stand in professional studios, at least here in the states. ‘
Keith
This part of the design is actually one of the features that attracts me most to this manufacturer.
From a noise and vibration isolation perspective speaker supports have been amongst the most technically misunderstood aspects of hifi in the press IMO.
The whole "mount them rigidly" fashion was bollox from day 1 because nothing is rigid over the full range of audio frequencies, but the press ran with it (on record players too) and have continued for decades.
If you don't want your stands and floor to be an inaccurate sounding board for your speakers making sure they are mechanically decoupled is essential and these are the first I have seen with both polymeric (good for higher frequencies) and springs (good for low frequencies).
Decades ago I measured the difference in cabinet and stand vibration level on a pair of LS3/5as and target stands I had in my office between sitting on cones and using peas sized balls of blutak squidged between them. I didn't quantify the squidging ;) so maybe not a strictly scientific test, but the vibration level on speaker and stand were both reduced by "lots", or to use a different unit "shed loads".

I shall be asking @Purité Audio for a demo once this pandemic lockdown is lifted. Keith has most of the intriguing speakers available these days so getting a proper demo is, at last, feasible :)
Is anyone out there in ASRland using the Mesanovic ISO platforms?

I'm very intrigued, but I'm not prepared to pay $1,500 for a pair of them without either (a) trying them with D&D 8Cs (still my speakers after 5+ years) or (b) seeing credible measurements.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I use them simply because they bring my 8Cs/RTM10’s/ GGNTKT M1s just a little nearer to my ear height, I honestly don’t see how any type of isolation can improve SQ in any properly designed loudspeaker.
Best,
Keith

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use them simply because they bring my 8Cs/RTM10’s/ GGNTKT M1s just a little nearer to my ear height, I honestly don’t see how any type of isolation can improve SQ in any properly designed loudspeaker.
Best,
Keith
It won't improve the SQ from the speaker but it will reduce transmission of spurious vibration from the speaker cabinet to the environment, and its radiation, the influence of which will be dependant on the type of support, floor and where on the floor it is placed.

The laws of physics have not been repealed.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
But audibility how much transmission to make an audible contributions and then air borne transmissions?
Best
Keith

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But audibility how much transmission to make an audible contributions and then air borne transmissions?
Best
Keith
As I wrote, very much depending on their support.
On a suspended wooden floor with stands well out from the edges probably a very audible increase in bass (though not accurate, obviously).
On a floor of concrete directly poured onto the ground probably none.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have mentioned this before but years ago a company which make lab isolation devices came hear with their four plane acceleromete and performed some measurements on our suspended ( engineered floor) this was with those huge Cessaro horns, and there was very little transmission.
Obviously there will be poorly made speakers/enclosures around but surely it is the job of the loudspeaker designer to ensure that the cabinet doesn’t store energy.
The same company also opined that most of the ‘audiophile’ isolation devices they had looked at ( they were thinking of adapting one of their own rolling air diaphragm designs for audio use) were wholly unsuited to isolate anything effectively .
Very Best,
Keith

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I wrote, very much depending on their support.
On a suspended wooden floor with stands well out from the edges probably a very audible increase in bass (though not accurate, obviously).
On a floor of concrete directly poured onto the ground probably none.
I have mentioned this before but years ago a company which make lab isolation devices came hear with their four plane acceleromete and performed some measurements on our suspended ( engineered floor) this was with those huge Cessaro horns, and there was very little transmission.
Obviously there will be poorly made speakers/enclosures around but surely it is the job of the loudspeaker designer to ensure that the cabinet doesn’t store energy.
The same company also opined that most of the ‘audiophile’ isolation devices they had looked at ( they were thinking of adapting one of their own rolling air diaphragm designs for audio use) were wholly unsuited to isolate anything effectively .
Very Best,
Keith
I will continue to enjoy listening to the Dutch & Dutch 8Cs on the concrete floor of our basement, with no yearnings for isolation tweaks, however effective they may be in other environments.

Thanks to you both!

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Have you tried sitting in a chair much more comfortable…
BW Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Have you been locked in a cellar somewhere?
Very Best

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The same company also opined that most of the ‘audiophile’ isolation devices they had looked at
As I think I have mentioned to you before I believe the same.

The only non-active ones I have seen which look scientifically sound are these Mesanovic ones and to a lesser extent the Townshend ones. The rest are technically unsuited to isolate the bass frequencies which may excite the floor.

The bass cabinet movement is an inevitable consequence of Newton’s second law and nothing to do with any shortcomings in the cabinet design.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The bass cabinet movement is an inevitable consequence of Newton’s second law and nothing to do with any shortcomings in the cabinet design.
Well... can always make the woofers opposed to eachother to cancel the movement

Top Bottom