• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is it a wrong assumption to say the D/A section looks similar-ish to a Hapi D/A card?

Attachments

• da8p10.jpg
    da8p10.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 557
OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Umm, where is the power supply? This thing uses an SMPS?
That's right. It doesn't have a big fat vibrating toroid in the case.

It also has IC DAC chips, no USB input and no IR remote control!

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Is it a wrong assumption to say the D/A section looks similar-ish to a Hapi D/A card?
I'm sure the DAC boards are very similar. But it looks to me like the digital is better isolated from the DAC and analog with the MC-8. For example, the the FPGA is on the digital board whereas the FPGA is right next the the DAC in the Hapi. Also it looks like there are two ESS DAC ICs in the MC-8 and the Hapi only has one.

bibo01

Do you know what that transparent little tube connected on the ethernet ports is?

It also seems there is a big filter on the ethernet connector...

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Do you know what that transparent little tube connected on the ethernet ports is?

I noticed that too. The digital board is pretty interesting to me. o_O

cjf

Hrmm..That tube is interesting. I wonder if the Incoming Ethernet is converted to Fiber/Light then back to Eth before it reaches the Eth cable with the filter on it?

I see the term "Ethertube" on the board. Can't imagine it being anything other than a conversion to light since the tube appears to be the only link to the other board :)

Cool stuff

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Hrmm..That tube is interesting. I wonder if the Incoming Ethernet is converted to Fiber/Light then back to Eth before it reaches the Eth cable with the filter on it?

I see the term "Ethertube" on the board. Can't imagine it being anything other than a conversion to light since the tube appears to be the only link to the other board :)

Cool stuff
I read that too. That makes sense now that you mention it. Good thing it doesn't have microrendude printed on the board. :D

cjf

If it is indeed that I wonder if any light is visible in the tube with the unit powered up in use? Again if it is that it's intersting how they can get away with the tube being clear...Hrrm

Very intersting product for sure

Mivera

Major Contributor
Very nice shots! The star of the show in that box is the green board on the right :)

Mivera

Major Contributor
Thomas wants transparent, you won't beat that!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Mivera

Major Contributor
If it is indeed that I wonder if any light is visible in the tube with the unit powered up in use? Again if it is that it's intersting how they can get away with the tube being clear...Hrrm

Very intersting product for sure

That tube looks like something to do with grounding If you look close there's a little silver wire inside it.

Last edited:

Mivera

Major Contributor

Probably a GSIO isolator and something for grounding. Measures to isolate network noise from the Ravenna board.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I don't know about your eyes guys but most of those pics they look pretty blurry to my own set of eyes. ;)

I was searching of course, like I always do, and travelling between a long thread over @ WBF, passing through a review (pdf) by Alan Sircom across the ocean, to Kal @ Stereophile, and to all the other audio suspects of this vast world.

http://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/impressions-the-merging-technology-nadac-mc-8-dsd-dac/
http://nadac.merging.com/assets/images/HiFi_129_MergingNADAC_LR.PDF
http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-77#uBJU2rFrLVoxzCOt.97

Last edited:

Mivera

Major Contributor
Lets compare analog sections with 2 other Sabre based DAC's The Resonessence Mirus, and the Exasound E20:

IMG_3085.JPG
IMG_3021.JPG

Mivera

Major Contributor

Mivera

Major Contributor
A bit more to the Ravenna board than the Amanero USB interface

IMG_4629.JPG
NADAC Ravenna board.jpeg

bibo01

Michael,

last year you were saying that you were getting the HAPI (I am not sure if in the end you got it) and that you were not interested in the NADAC. What made you change your mind?

Did you have a chance to compare Merging's Emotion and HQPlayer? How do you feel about it?

BTW, NADAC uses two ES9008 chhips, not ES9018.

Top Bottom