• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Memorable Duets, with one being much much better singer than the other ........

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Also any of the duets with Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong. I'm not saying Louis was a bad singer, but next to Ella he comes across as rough and unpolished, which is what gives their collaboration its charm.

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sony & Cher, Ike & Tina Turner, Daryl Hall & John Oats

ripvw

Forum Donor
Paul Simon is a great songwriter and a pretty good singer, but the late great Phoebe Snow OWNS this song:

"Gone at Last" from Simon's Still Crazy After All These Years album. The Jessy Dixon Singers in the background are pretty damn good as well. Needless to say, the Tidal version is WAY mo' better...

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also any of the duets with Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong. I'm not saying Louis was a bad singer, but next to Ella he comes across as rough and unpolished, which is what gives their collaboration its charm.

I was wondering if someone would suggest these two. While I agree that Louis' voice is rough and unpolished, I feel that his phrasing is unparalleled: his ability to attack notes at exactly the most unexpectedly exciting moments, and then to leave them hanging there just a shade longer than others might, is what makes him my favourite jazz singer. But yes, when it comes to range and athleticism, he has nothing on Ella :)

Wombat

Master Contributor
Keef and Sheryl Crowe. Bonus Chrissie Hynde on Guitar and back-up vocals. Who needs DR? ;)

Is this on DVD?

Top Bottom