• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Member's signature not visible on mobile devices?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Looks like that all those mobile user might not see it as such a big problem after all..
That includes me.

But now that I have seen the effect of signatures in vertical phone mode, I think I wouldn't have perceived that as a problem either, would they always have been there. It really is a lot less bad than I imagined it to be at first.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But now that I have seen the effect of signatures in vertical phone mode, I think I wouldn't have perceived that as a problem either, would they always have been there. It really is a lot less bad than I imagined it to be at first.
Oh sure, this can go both ways. Chances are high many people would not care either way. But also remember that viewing something landscape vs portrait is still a different experience. So you’d have to evaluate the real thing to have a good comparison.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It really is a lot less bad than I imagined it to be at first.
I’m only asking because I’m intrigued. Do you think hiding data from mobile users is OK for you? I’m not talking about the user experience, which is the answer I keep getting, but talking about hiding data. Are you OK for that? For instance @amirm has the following signature. Why would he add that data if more than half of the web users potentially will not see it?

Founder, Audio Science Review
Founder, Madrona Digital
Contributing Editor, Widescreen Review Magazine
Click for My Technical Background
My YouTube Channel

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m only asking because I’m intrigued. Do you think hiding data from mobile users is OK for you? I’m not talking about the user experience, which is answer I keep getting, but hiding data.
There is nothing hidden. One can find your signature in your profile’s about page. Granted, it’s harder to access, but definitely not hidden.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
I’m only asking because I’m intrigued. Do you think hiding data from mobile users is OK for you? I’m not talking about the user experience, which is the answer I keep getting, but talking about hiding data. Are you OK for that?
You know I can't help that everybody and their mother put all that 'data' in their signature. This is probably why I don't see hiding signatures being the same thing as hiding data. One would almost look up the original meaning of signature, right?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I guess his definition of “hidden” is different from mine ;)

@sarumbear : why not add a poll and ask people what they think?
I don’t believe that logical things require a majority decision.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You know I can't help that everybody and their mother put all that 'data' in their signature. This is probably why I don't see hiding signatures being the same thing as hiding data. One would almost look up the original meaning of signature, right?
I agree and modified mine accordingly.

However, if you have ever received a corporate email in the last few years, you will see that the meaning of signature has been changing.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So what is logical then?
Show the same data to all viewers irrespective of the device they are using. If you are constrained with the amount of data, use a mechanism that temporarily hides the excess data but inform the viewer that there’s hidden data and allow a one-click to un-hide it.

Show the first few words of the signature, truncate it with an ellipsis. Make the line a link that shows all of the signature.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Show the same data to all viewers irrespective of the device they are using.
I don’t really see the signature as relevant data. For one, in 99% of cases it’s not relevant to the topic, and I don’t care seeing all that redundant data. If you have 5 posts on a page, you have to scroll past it 5 times.
If you are constrained with the amount of data, use a mechanism that temporarily hides the excess data but inform the viewer that there’s hidden data and allow a one-click to un-hide it.
I’d be all in favor for this.
Show the first few words of the signature, truncate it with an ellipsis. Make the line a link that shows all of the signature.
Would be totally okay :)

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Show the same data to all viewers irrespective of the device they are using.
One argument in favour of this is that when you don't care for people's signatures, I guess you wouldn't mind it being hidden irrespective of the device you are using either. Which we have a setting for (that I learned about thanks to this thread).

Not sure if this makes sense.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t really see the signature as relevant data. For one, in 99% of cases it’s not relevant to the topic, and I don’t care seeing all that redundant data. If you have 5 posts on a page, you have to scroll past it 5 times.
You can hide signatures globally, you know that don’t you?

Top Bottom