• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Member's signature not visible on mobile devices?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t want to hide then on my desktop though.
Which of the earlier objections you gave changes on a desktop?

I don’t really see the signature as relevant data. For one, in 99% of cases it’s not relevant to the topic, and I don’t care seeing all that redundant data.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Which of the earlier objections you gave changes on a desktop?
I have much more room, meaning redundancy is less objectionable. A mobile screen is a really focused thing. My desktop has probably a dozen of windows open, and even more browser tabs. It’s much easier to filter out the relevant information. I won’t say a signature has no value. But it would be one of the things to go if one needs the screen real estate to focus on the important things.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have much more room, meaning redundancy is less objectionable. A mobile screen is a really focused thing. My desktop has probably a dozen of windows open, and even more browser tabs. It’s much easier to filter out the relevant information. I won’t say a signature has no value. But it would be one of the things to go if one needs the screen real estate to focus on the important things.
I hear you but desktop is dying and mobile is soon going to be left the only device standing. I personally hate browsing on a mobile but I hate it more if ASR dies because it only caters for a dying platform. I’m not saying hidden signatures is the cause for it to die but if we fail to adopt to mobile first, it will at the end.

punosion

Forum Donor
A bit of a slippery slope there. Solution: get rid of signatures completely, all that noise should just go into the "About" area of your member profile.

Reactions: GDK

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I personally hate browsing on a mobile but I hate it more if ASR dies because it only caters for a dying platform. I’m not saying hidden signatures is the cause for it to die but if we fail to adopt to mobile first, it will at the end.
It would be interesting to see what percentage of ASR users actually uses a mobile mostly? Since ASR members are mostly old kooks, I doubt the mobile first mantra will be relevant the next decade or so ;) Possibly @amirm can enlighten us?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be interesting to see what percentage of ASR users actually uses a mobile mostly? Since ASR members are mostly old kooks, I doubt the mobile first mantra will be relevant the next decade or so ;) Possibly @amirm can enlighten us?
Then isn’t it more pressing then to switch to mobile first sooner in order to catch young blood?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like the mobile first strategy has been dead for about a decade:

Ha! Tell that to Google, Facebook, TikTok, Shein, etc. Data doesn’t lie.

Facebook has 98.5% of its users accessing the website with a mobile device, and 81.5% of those users only use a phone to access the social network. Users with both desktop and mobile are 16.7%, while desktop-only users are a mere 1.5%

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha! Tell that to Google, Facebook, TikTok, Shein, etc. Data doesn’t lie. Recheck my post above.
I don’t see a contradiction.. they all did exactly what’s described in the article I posted.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t see a contradiction.. they all did exactly what’s described in the article I posted.
Have you browsed TikTok on your desktop?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you browsed TikTok on your desktop?
I have never TikTok’ed anything, and I’d like to keep it that way ;)

In any case, I don’t see why we need ASR to compete with TikTok or Facebook. From the many audio forums, the mobile experience of ASR is one of the best IMHO. I don’t think ASR has something to worry about in that regard.

Last edited:
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have never TikTok’ed anything, and I’d like to keep it that way ;)
So far as I read your posts I understood that it’s all about you. Whereas, I believe in community and the greater good for many.

We disagree fully and I leave this sub-thread at this point.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So it’s all about you, fine. I believe in community and the greater good for many.
But not in democracy evidently… You label your personal preference as “logical” and then dismiss any need for further input,

If there is one thing non-existent in UX, then it is logic. Not for nothing A-B testing is the prevailing method to check what users like, and what not. The results can sometimes be counterintuitive. Therefore changes like this should always be done very carefully. You might just end up making the site engagement decrease by enabling mobile signatures.
And the problem is what? Scrolling is easy.
Yeah, so this alone may already lead to less engagement, leading to people not coming back. A simple color change of a button may also do that…

The point is: we don’t know what the effect will be! So yes, the community decides what works, not me, you, or supposed logic.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like the mobile first strategy has been dead for about a decade:

The link is meant as a reference view on mobile first from a company that has last posted on Facebook and last Tweeted in 2018, four years ago! They have 193 Twitter followers and there are just three people on LinkedIn. My family corner shop has more followers and more things to say. The only two reviews are from four and five years ago. You decide on how valuable their ideas on web design, one of the fastest changing platforms.

Top Bottom