• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Member profile pics

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Felix the Cat setting type from a case into a composing stick of course.

felix typesetting.jpg

Katji

Major Contributor
Felix the Cat setting type from a case into a composing stick of course.

ok, Were you perhaps a compositor? ...(Few others would know what you're talking about there.)

DWPress

Forum Donor
ok, Were you perhaps a compositor? ...(Few others would know what you're talking about there.)

I still am, I produce fine press books the old fashioned way - Deep Wood Press.

Katji

Major Contributor
Wow. I was an apprentice compositor at a big newspaper, early 1970s. Much of what I did was headings in a stick. ...Nice place on cold days. There was a section that made the type. Linotype operators and real proof-readers.

DWPress

Forum Donor
I have a Linotype in studio B and the matrices to cast about 500 fonts, studio A has the press room and bindery (where the stereo lives). It's the slow way of making books in the 21st century but after recently upgrading to a new M1 Mac Mini and the new OS I find great comfort in things that "just work" or can be fixed with a little mechanical skill.

Currently working on a new illustrated edition of The Wind in the Willows in large format on bespoke handmade paper. Very little to do with the computer thankfully. It's a good life.

Top Bottom