• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Meizu Hifi USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

Veri

Master Contributor
Only wish they charged $19 and gave us a better wire, this thing is going to break just by looking a it, let alone unplugging a headphone.
I thought so too but honestly, none crapped out on me so far :)

Last edited:

taner

I just bought Meizu Hifi (non Pro) to use as source for for power amp. Unfortunately I just realized that it has a problem with 44.1KHz standard CD format. Playback disturbs on every 40 secs so. Very unfortunate for people who store their music in CD ripped flacs. I wouldn't even touch this if I was aware of this problem.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
I just bought Meizu Hifi (non Pro) to use as source for for power amp. Unfortunately I just realized that it has problem with 44.1KHz standard CD format. Playback disturbs on every 40 secs so. Very unfortunate for people who store their music in CD ripped flacs. I wouldn't even touch this if I was aware of this problem.
Meizu non pro is synchronous and not async. On my MacBook, there is a stutter every few minutes or so.

taner

Meizu non pro is synchronous and not async. On my MacBook, there is a stutter every few minutes or so.
From teardown photos there is no difference between digital section of both versions.

Considering that this dongle (as well the Pro version) have some sort of impedance detection built in, could I still use them as a DAC running to a headphone amp? How would this work out, let's say I have a 32 ohm headphone plugged into the amp, would the dongle detect that and go to low voltage mode?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Considering that this dongle (as well the Pro version) have some sort of impedance detection built in, could I still use them as a DAC running to a headphone amp? How would this work out, let's say I have a 32 ohm headphone plugged into the amp, would the dongle detect that and go to low voltage mode?
The dongle will detect your Amp's input impedance, which is typically very, very high, >600Ω to a few kΩ I think. That way, both versions should unlock their full Vrms. However, there's a good chance that they will clip if you put them to 100%, so be aware of that!

The dongle will detect your Amp's input impedance, which is typically very, very high, >600Ω to a few kΩ I think. That way, both versions should unlock their full Vrms. However, there's a good chance that they will clip if you put them to 100%, so be aware of that!

Do you mean if I set system volume to 100% or amp volume to 100%? Typically I only use my amp at 30-50% total volume.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Do you mean if I set system volume to 100% or amp volume to 100%? Typically I only use my amp at 30-50% total volume.
You should set the Meizu dongle to <100% (90% maybe) in your OS to avoid sending a clipped signal to your Amp.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Do you think the same holds true for the Apple dongle? (Currently using an EU one as DAC, wanna switch to another dongle because this one is starting to fray and apparently has gimped voltage output)
I'd be surprised if it didn't. If you want a clean signal regardless of your OS volume, then you'll need a dedicated DAC I think.

Sonic delight

Here's how mine measured when connected to a lightning adapter, and using an iPhone as a source:

Meizu hifi SINAD.png

Sonic delight

I bought 2 of them and here's how the 2nd one measured. The weaker left channel is the fault of my cheap cable.

Meizu hifi 2 SINAD.PNG

taner

To solve 44.1KHz stutter issue, I just resampled playback for highest sampling rate that device supported on Linux. The pulseasudio daemon.conf settings I use is below. This way, pulseaudio uses 352800Hz for 44100Hz media and 384000Hz for 48000Hz media automatically.

high-priority = yes
nice-level = -15
realtime-scheduling = yes
realtime-priority = 9
resample-method = soxr-vhq
avoid-resampling = yes
enable-lfe-remixing = no
default-sample-format = float32ne
default-sample-rate = 352800
alternate-sample-rate = 384000
default-sample-channels = 2

axismundi

I bought 2 of them and here's how the 2nd one measured. The weaker left channel is the fault of my cheap cable.

View attachment 73335
Sorry for the offtopic but I am intrigued by the good results you get with dScope. Is this the newer M model? Per my experience standard III Series can only measure up to around -108dB THD+N (-110dB best case scenario). Or are you rather using an external interface with dScope software? Thanks

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like the pro version is out of stock everywhere. The non pro is only £18 delivered though!
£18.14 54%OFF | Meizu HIFI DAC
https://a.aliexpress.com/_BPrH5a

Top Bottom