• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Meizu Hifi USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

meowchin

Yes. ADC including phantom power voltage is identicaly between Pro and non Pro.

For the dongle to show up as a DAC+ADC, a TRRS plug has to be present. With a regular TRS stereo plug, the dongle will appear as just a DAC in Windows.
I recommend you buy a CTIA splitter like this one, plug it into the dongle and your mic into the mic jack of the splitter.
View attachment 194979

Edit: I took a look at the iMM-6 and that one uses a TRRS plug already. Weird. Can you probe it with a multimeter to check where the two poles are on the plug? Also try plugging in an empty TRRS plug and check if the ADC pops up.
View attachment 194980
I tried it with an empty plug and the ADC does indeed show up, but after disconnecting it and connecting the iMM-6 instead it disappears again. The iMM-6 uses the CTIA standard (mic on the outer/sleeve pin, GND on the 3rd pin). I'm measuring 1.2kOhm between those.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hmm, some part of how the iMM-6's TRRS plug is configured seems to make the Meizu think it's TRS.

Ziginox

I tried it with an empty plug and the ADC does indeed show up, but after disconnecting it and connecting the iMM-6 instead it disappears again. The iMM-6 uses the CTIA standard (mic on the outer/sleeve pin, GND on the 3rd pin). I'm measuring 1.2kOhm between those.
Are you connecting the iMM-6 before or after plugging the DAC into USB? I've found it does funny things sometimes if I do USB first, or REALLY funny things if I plug the headphone cable (with mic) in without headphones, and then try to connect the headphones after plugging it into USB.

meowchin

Looks like I had a faulty unit. I got a replacement and it now works fine.

While we're at the topic, how good is the frequency response of the ADC? Are there any measurements available?

pib

Can someone confirm for me if this dongle supports mic monitoring (sidetone) with Windows? To test for it, you have to:

1. Plug in a TRRS headset to the dongle.
  2. Open up the sound control panel.
  3. In the playback tab, open up the dongle properties
  4. In the levels tab, check if there's a microphone slider to adjust sidetone playback.
Any help with this would be much appreciated. Also letting me know if the sidetone has 0 latency would be very helpful. Thank you! :)

Attachments

• mic levels.png
    mic levels.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 74

MCH

Major Contributor
Hi,
I have been delaying it as much as I could but inevitably I have now a smartphone with no headphones jack and I am starting to use my dongles more often, including this Meizu hifi.
And I am starting to get tired of the hiccups... It is a shame because otherwise it is perfect for my needs.
My question is, is there a way to minimise them?
For instance, I notice that using Hibymusic in exclusive mode I get hiccups much more often. I wonder if there is something else that can be done to make them less frequent. Is it related to sample rate/amount of data the dongle receives? Or is it just random?
Thanks.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi,
I have been delaying it as much as I could but inevitably I have now a smartphone with no headphones jack and I am starting to use my dongles more often, including this Meizu hifi.
And I am starting to get tired of the hiccups... It is a shame because otherwise it is perfect for my needs.
My question is, is there a way to minimise them?
For instance, I notice that using Hibymusic in exclusive mode I get hiccups much more often. I wonder if there is something else that can be done to make them less frequent. Is it related to sample rate/amount of data the dongle receives? Or is it just random?
Thanks.
It's related to sample rate.
By setting your audio player to resample to 48kHz, the stutter is fixed.

MCH

Major Contributor
It's related to sample rate.
By setting your audio player to resample to 48kHz, the stutter is fixed.
Thanks for the tip! I am testing it as I write:

Hibymusic / USB exclusive mode / fixed 48kHz: improved, but still some hiccups here and there

Hibymusic/ android audio / fixed 48kHz: has been a while and no hiccups. I am going to declare this good enough. Doesn't reach the volume of the exclusive mode though.

Do you remember which apps you used in which the stutter was completely eliminated to give it a try?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Do you remember which apps you used in which the stutter was completely eliminated to give it a try?
I used the Meizu HiFi with UAPP for a long time, and setting it to resample to 48k never gave me any stutter.

Reactions: MCH
Top Bottom