• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MEIZU Hifi Pro USB-C Phone Dongle DAC Review

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Tony_db

Hi guys, first post here. This toy looks great but unfortunately, it's impossible to find it new anywhere. Any other, similarly sized, adapters on par with it?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guys, first post here. This toy looks great but unfortunately, it's impossible to find it new anywhere. Any other, similarly sized, adapters on par with it?

The Meizu Hifi (no pro) isnt bad at all, and the Tempotec Sonata HD pro (their naming scheme is terrible) is the same device as the Hidizs S8 reviewed well on here, but a different shell (same electrics) for a fraction of the cost.

Tony_db

Thanks! And would there be any of these dongles connecting just through Bluetooth instead of usb type C?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! And would there be any of these dongles connecting just through Bluetooth instead of usb type C?
Nope. Then you are in the area of the $100 bt dongles. Like qudelix 5k reviewed on here (with eq) or fiio btr 5(no eq)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought the Tempotec :)
This sucka? (like I say, the naming is a nightmare. Lots of different sonata.
Screenshot_20210412-182501.jpg

nerone

I would like to buy the non pro version on amazon.it, I would use it via android -Tidal Hifi-UAPP, I have 50 ohm headphones
do you think it can also be connected to the amplifier to drive passive speakers? pity it's not MQA

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to buy the non pro version on amazon.it, I would use it via android -Tidal Hifi-UAPP, I have 50 ohm headphones
do you think it can also be connected to the amplifier to drive passive speakers? pity it's not MQA

UAPP with an MQA add on will decode Tidal MQA then send to the Meizu at 24 bit 88.2khz or 96 khz (ie the core decode)

Yes you can connect to an amp via 3.5mm- RCA cable.

Ufasas

Tempotec Sonata II is out, it's widely available, and says to be close to meizu pro, which isn't available

Ufasas

Attachments

• te.PNG
    te.PNG
    248.7 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

amanieux

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...&terminal_id=e1ef815efc2645b8bd1a0abac6865502

recognises headset with mic, no need to install any firmwares i believe, it's a win already, and +10 miliwatts, same compact, lol. i ordered, whatevs, i wanna see if it's stuttering on laptop like Sonata HD 1, when cpu usage is 80-90%

$28 for a sabre dac is a new low but the dac in meizu hifi (non pro) is not bad either but only $19, wait for a review to check if the implementation is ok

Ufasas

Got the Sonada HD II USB Dac, don't see much of the difference in sound over HD I, but I am ok with the sound, I know there is something better, but compact size suggests me to keep it. Good news, on PC or laptop it doesn't crackle or doesn't clip when CPU is loaded with apps @60-71% and music player is playing at the same time, unlike Sonada HD I! Also you cannot use USB Mic, once Sonata is plugged into PC, expects a headset, I assume, not sure yet if internal mic is being enabled when using Dac on laptop

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Got the Sonada HD II USB Dac, don't see much of the difference in sound over HD I, but I am ok with the sound, I know there is something better, but compact size suggests me to keep it. Good news, on PC or laptop it doesn't crackle or doesn't clip when CPU is loaded with apps @60-71% and music player is playing at the same time, unlike Sonada HD I! Also you cannot use USB Mic, once Sonata is plugged into PC, expects a headset, I assume, not sure yet if internal mic is being enabled when using Dac on laptop
You can use whatever DAC+ADC combination you want in Windows 10. You just have to select them in the Sound Control Panel.

Ufasas

You can use whatever DAC+ADC combination you want in Windows 10. You just have to select them in the Sound Control Panel.
I did, it was setup for usb mic, and headphones set for tempotec sonata , but nobody heard me in games

Top Bottom