• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MEIZU Hifi Pro USB-C Phone Dongle DAC Review

mkmoss

So it seems like the Meizu HiFi Pro is still not available to but, but the Master Hifi is.

From what I've read the Meizu HiFi Pro is similar in quality to the TempoTec Sonata Pro, but perhaps the Master HiFi isn't as good quality.

I'm looking for something for Philips X2HR, and not sure if I should spend more money on the Sonata Pro or just get the Master HiFi.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So it seems like the Meizu HiFi Pro is still not available to but, but the Master Hifi is.

From what I've read the Meizu HiFi Pro is similar in quality to the TempoTec Sonata Pro, but perhaps the Master HiFi isn't as good quality.

I'm looking for something for Philips X2HR, and not sure if I should spend more money on the Sonata Pro or just get the Master HiFi.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Fwiw my sonata hd Pro died this week but meizu Pro I've had and used slightly more still going strong.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That helps thanks!

Never had any issues with either sonically btw - used mostly into car stereo from phone so not the most critical listening . Dont know about that new Meizu Master but would be intrigued to hear your opinion.

mkmoss

Hmm ok still thinking about it but I'll likely go with the Meizu. The simpler the better for me.

mslim

Never had any issues with either sonically btw - used mostly into car stereo from phone so not the most critical listening . Dont know about that new Meizu Master but would be intrigued to hear your opinion.

No external differentiating feature from the Meizu Hifi USB-C DAC....... Is it the same item?

Veri

Master Contributor
No external differentiating feature from the Meizu Hifi USB-C DAC....... Is it the same item?
The Pro has an extra buffer op-amp for slightly better distortion characteristics and output power performance. But they are quite close, so close in fact that the Pro version is no longer being made/sold..

mkmoss

The Pro has an extra buffer op-amp for slightly better distortion characteristics and output power performance. But they are quite close, so close in fact that the Pro version is no longer being made/sold..

Oh this is good to know. I didn't know how much better the HiFi Pro was over the Master HiFi. So I suppose I'll get the Master HiFi over the Sonata Pro.

miguelx74

it's great to read this news. the Meizu Master is currently on Amazon.it without having to buy it from China.
For 23 euros I already bought the Meizu Master

Last edited:

mslim

Amir needs to test the master. LOL. Hope Meizu improved it based on the Pro.

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What's the point of tricking it for higher gain unless you have such power hungry headphones, just checking :confused:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What's the point of tricking it for higher gain unless you have such power hungry headphones, just checking :confused:

If you use EQ with a few dB of pre amp reduction- i can max it out on low gain with me Etymotic and its far from loud.

vkvedam

Forum Donor
Right, I managed to trick it to set for high gain mode. Funnily it's been recognised as a different DAC by Windows and Android. Anyway, I could only trick it using 3.5mm > 6.4mm adapter and then 6.4mm > 3.5mm short extension. I tried it with a 4 pole 3.5mm extension which didn't work. I tried it with 4 pole male to female adapter, it didn't work. I really would like to have the 4 pole extension so that I can take calls on the go, any idea on which ones work, a short extension would do (~10cm).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Right, I managed to trick it to set for high gain mode. Funnily it's been recognised as a different DAC by Windows and Android. Anyway, I could only trick it using 3.5mm > 6.4mm adapter and then 6.4mm > 3.5mm short extension. I tried it with a 4 pole 3.5mm extension which didn't work. I tried it with 4 pole male to female adapter, it didn't work. I really would like to have the 4 pole extension so that I can take calls on the go, any idea on which ones work, a short extension would do (~10cm).

Im not sure it can be used with microphones. Dont think it has an ADC inside.

vkvedam

Forum Donor
My search will continue for a 4 pole extender or extension :D

Edit: I think I have sort of answered/figured out. As soon as you plug in a 4 pole it assumes high sensitivity earphones/headphones because of the mic usage. No point in trying these extensions or extenders.

Last edited:
Top Bottom