• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MEIZU Hifi Pro USB-C Phone Dongle DAC Review

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
and giztop sold out :(

ad_fletch

Forum Donor
and giztop sold out :(

Ah, shame. I just received mine today (so just over 2 weeks later). Was going to confirm that Giztop is legit, but not much point now I guess....

PS My quick subjective take is that it's very good, drives 150Ohm cans with no issues (mine have sensitivities of 93 and 96 so YMMV). Through the Atom into my Senns I slightly prefer the LG Hi-Fi Dac from the G5, so if you can get your hands on one of those instead, you shouldn't be disappointed. The form factor of the Meizu is of course way better for mobile use - it's even smaller than I thought (not far off size and cable thickness of Apple dongle). The little window into the dac chips is a nice touch too.

S0und

Anyone managed to install the drivers for Win7? The dongle works perfectly fine with with Win10, but Win7 can't seems to detect it.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone confirm if this product has actually been discontinued?

Or is it just out of stock and it's taking a long time for another production run?

Has there been an official announcement?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Can anyone confirm if this product has actually been discontinued?

Or is it just out of stock and it's taking a long time for another production run?

Has there been an official announcement?
I think I read somewhere that it is but I can't confirm anything.

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
My big complaint about this dongle is that it seems like it's bad for low-impedance, low-sensitivity headphones. My AKG N5005 and LCD-2C both don't have as much usable volume range as the Hidizs S3, for example.

milus

My big complaint about this dongle is that it seems like it's bad for low-impedance, low-sensitivity headphones. My AKG N5005 and LCD-2C both don't have as much usable volume range as the Hidizs S3, for example.

Certainly I do not expect HIGH volume out of this kind of dongles, but they can drive my KZ AS10 quite well. No need to push volume to max.
They are low impedance: 14 Ohm, and high (?) sensitivity: 105 dB.
Maybe you need to try high-sensitivity headphones?

BTW I could manage to get it from Giztop just in time before they got out of stock! :D

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Sinquito

For high efficiency headphones (or iems) you should have just bought the Apple dongle type C. On windows 10 works flawlessly and has enough power to drive HD600, but not it's not an overkill for low impedance iems. Even on Android works ok, specially good if you have USBAPP.

milus

For high efficiency headphones (or iems) you should have just bought the Apple dongle type C. On windows 10 works flawlessly and has enough power to drive HD600, but not it's not an overkill for low impedance iems. Even on Android works ok, specially good if you have USBAPP.

Just a couple of question for you @Sinquito:

That Apple dongle is the US version, I guess?
What is and what does it do USBAPP?

Thanks!

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
My big complaint about this dongle is that it seems like it's bad for low-impedance, low-sensitivity headphones.

Maybe my post wasn't good enough, but I had to hit ignore on a couple of people above who apparently didn't feel like responding to my actual inquiry.

Due to the impedance sensing, the Meizu Hifi Pro isn't good with my low-impedance, low-sensitivity IEMs and headphones, to where they have less usable volume range than similar dongles that don't have it, despite the Meizu Hifi Pro having plenty of output. Does anyone else have this experience, or is there a consistent, proven workaround to get the dongle to use its full power?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe my post wasn't good enough, but I had to hit ignore on a couple of people above who apparently didn't feel like responding to my actual inquiry.

Due to the impedance sensing, the Meizu Hifi Pro isn't good with my low-impedance, low-sensitivity IEMs and headphones, to where they have less usable volume range than similar dongles that don't have it, despite the Meizu Hifi Pro having plenty of output. Does anyone else have this experience, or is there a consistent, proven workaround to get the dongle to use its full power?

You need the workaround. Find any 3.5mm male -3.5mm female (short) extension. They range from 2cm all in one metal adapters to a few inches but should have no impact on sound.

1. Plug the adapter into the 3.5mm of the meizu
2. Plug the meizu into the phone/ pc- it will recognise it as if the HP were plugged in
3. Plug the HP into the adapter female jack

The device "sees" the empty adapter as infinity impedance so goes to high impedance mode- so it activates when plugged into source in high mode.

Just make sure you start with source volume lowered .

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
You need the workaround. Find any 3.5mm male -3.5mm female (short) extension. They range from 2cm all in one metal adapters to a few inches but should have no impact on sound.

1. Plug the adapter into the 3.5mm of the meizu
2. Plug the meizu into the phone/ pc- it will recognise it as if the HP were plugged in
3. Plug the HP into the adapter female jack

The device "sees" the empty adapter as infinity impedance so goes to high impedance mode- so it activates when plugged into source in high mode.

Just make sure you start with source volume lowered .

Thanks, I've tried one of those extensions, maybe it's just acting funky with USB Audio Player Pro's detection on android, or when I plug my stuff back in. The real problem is Android's messed-up USB audio

At worst, this has found usage in my car. My phone has a headphone jack but it's a bit weird with how it interacts with my car stereo, and this dongle works really well, even though it's a bit overkill I suppose.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, I've tried one of those extensions, maybe it's just acting funky with USB Audio Player Pro's detection on android, or when I plug my stuff back in. The real problem is Android's messed-up USB audio

At worst, this has found usage in my car. My phone has a headphone jack but it's a bit weird with how it interacts with my car stereo, and this dongle works really well, even though it's a bit overkill I suppose.

So the extension trick doesnt work for you? shame - worked for me on 3 phones all running UAPP with the Meizu

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I haven't tried it with the Meizu, but this 6" extension works for me with the HIDISZ S8/Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, which also has impedance sensing

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QG1CCTF/

LoyK

I must say I am also very impressed with the Meizu Pro dongle and my Hifiman Ananda.
Sounds really good and has plenty of volume.
Yesterday I tried some DSD files and it also works/sounds really good.

Really awesome for the price :)

Sinquito

Sorry I totally misread your post and thought that the low range was because your headphones were too much efficient and volume was very high basically all the way.

Sorry didn't mean to be rude.

Other members have already suggested the extension trick, which unfortunately doesn't seem to help. My suggestion of using the Apple dongle still applies though, it's extremely inexpensive and if you can get the US version I think it will work wonders since you already have UAPP. I have the N5005 so I can give it try with both dongles using a Galaxy S20+, but I'm a quieter listener, so maybe enough volume for me couldn't be enough for everyone.

Sinquito

Just a couple of question for you @Sinquito:

That Apple dongle is the US version, I guess?
What is and what does it do USBAPP?

Thanks!
Yes, USA version, I think most people on the forum have suggested that EU will output less power, but I'm not sure anyone has actually measured it. USBAPP is an Android app that let's you play music with basically any USB DAC without using the terrible audio Android drivers, it costs something like 7.50 USD but I think it's worthy if you listen a lot of music on Android with a USB dongle.

Screenshot_20200916-092005_Google Play Store.jpg

Top Bottom