• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MEIZU Hifi Pro USB-C Phone Dongle DAC Review

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm just using the onboard audio on my motherboard which has a Realtek ALC887 codec. On max windows volume, the phones are kinda loud, not that loud though. Hoping the meizu pro is a decent upgrade.

If you are simply after increased volume , I wouldnt look to the Meizu or similar dongles. See Amirms review today of PC motherboard and his suggestions. Maybe the Meizu into a separate headphone amp may be what you are after or a combo dac/ amp with a decent power out for headphones. Or even using the line out of your PC into a HP amp, as referred in his review.

Stipes90

If you are simply after increased volume , I wouldnt look to the Meizu or similar dongles. See Amirms review today of PC motherboard and his suggestions. Maybe the Meizu into a separate headphone amp may be what you are after or a combo dac/ amp with a decent power out for headphones. Or even using the line out of your PC into a HP amp, as referred in his review.

What combo dac/amp would you recommend for the 58x?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I'm just using the onboard audio on my motherboard which has a Realtek ALC887 codec. On max windows volume, the phones are kinda loud, not that loud though. Hoping the meizu pro is a decent upgrade.
This DAC & most others don't suport microphone.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I cant recommend any- I dont have the 58x. The various THX amps may well be overkill. The JDS Atom/ Schiit Heresy are more than enough. Suspect searching on here for recommendations for any amps for the Senn HD 58X/600/650 family will yield more . All budget dependant.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Thats ok I dont need a microphone for my 58x's
I would still recommend you to get a Creative Sound BlasterX G6 which is around 160$/€ for gaming and 150 Ohm's can's. Creative is quirky with drivers as always, you have both rewiev and discussion about it hire so read it carefully.
People usually need mic for chat when gaming.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I have the E10K and it's absolutely not worth the money! If you're willing to spend 70-100€ on a DAC/Amp, then please get the 9038S or 9038D. If not, then just get one of the two Meizu dongles.
I'm using the HD600 btw.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the E10K and it's absolutely not worth the money! If you're willing to spend 70-100€ on a DAC/Amp, then please get the 9038S or 9038D. If not, then just get one of the two Meizu dongles.
I'm using the HD600 btw.
Bit close to shilling, that, isn't it? Even if an independent person would suggest the same.

EDIT, @staticV3 has clarified his relationship with E1DA, below. I withdraw my shilling comment. Being a fan is not the same as an affiliate. Apologies.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
I am in no way financially affiliated with E1DA. I just like their stuff and buy them from my own money. How is that shilling?

amanieux

i can easily power my hd58x from my laptop or phone so if you really want to try a dac get the non pro meizu it will have enough power (even when doing analaytical listening i can hardly spot a difference in sound between my internal phone/laptop dac and meizu pro so for gaming where your focus is on the screen i would not spend even $20 on a dac/amp ( unless of course if your internal pc audio has annoying buzz or background noise) , i would instead buy a $11 ambilight, it will provide more excitement in your gaming experience than improved audio from dac
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32964959328.html ).

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am in no way financially affiliated with E1DA. I just like their stuff and buy them from my own money. How is that shilling?
You're admin on the discord forum? But fair enough, if not financially linked, my apologies

staticV3

Master Contributor
You're admin on the discord forum? But fair enough, if not financially linked, my apologies
Apologies accepted. I'm a mod on the channel because I genuinely enjoy helping others and because I'm a big fan of Ivan's work (even though there are some rough edges), not because I get anything out of it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Apologies accepted. I'm a mod on the channel because I genuinely enjoy helping others and because I'm a big fan of Ivan's work (even though there are some rough edges), not because I get anything out of it.
I've edited my original comment to reflect.

WoodyLuvr

Using normal average headphones would one hear improved bass via the Aune X1S or Topping DX7 vs Meizu HiFi Pro due to it being a desktop with large power source or have these smaller DAC+HPA dongles really indeed finally caught up to desktops power and sound wise?

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Using normal average headphones would one hear improved bass via the Aune X1S or Topping DX7 vs Meizu HiFi Pro due to it being a desktop with large power source or have these smaller DAC+HPA dongles really indeed finally caught up to desktops?

I think you need to define "normal average headphones". From what I can see you are running 2 sets of cans I have never heard of, both with pretty high impedance, out of kit I cant comprehend.

WoodyLuvr

I think you need to define "normal average headphones". From what I can see you are running 2 sets of cans I have never heard of, both with pretty high impedance, out of kit I cant comprehend.
Apologies, that was a poorly put question there now that I have reread it.

I have seen Amir and other reviewers casually mention/touch upon amplification power and the effects it has on bass and dynamic passages on tracks. I am trying to wrap my head around what is really required in regards to amplification and headroom for normal headphones ranging from 32 to 300Ω with a sensitivity ~100 dB/mW... so not talking about difficult to drive HE-6s / HE-560s nor super sensitive Andromedas.

Case in point. Take the middle of the road headphone the Senn HD600 and power it by one of the following AIO DAC+HPA devices... would the Meizu's ~10mW handle the most difficult bass parts and ~20-25dB peaks of a dynamic track as well as the DX7 Pro providing ~54mW? At 1.748 Vrms would the bass be slightly anemic with the Meizu compared to the Aune or DX7 Pro at ~2.2 Vrms and ~4Vrms respective? How much power is really required?

My lean is toward the objective rather than the subjective so I am interested more in the audio science and math ;).

1589091549279.png

Meizu HiFiPro

1589091571382.png

Aune X1S 2020

1589091612433.png

Topping DX7 Pro

1589091738911.png

By the way, the two (2) cans in my signature that you mentioned our custom made earbuds from Singapore and Thailand. The Kryptonites @ 150Ω have a sensitivity of ~95 dB/mW and the Blurs @ 300Ω have a sensitivity of ~105 dB/mW. The rest of my earbud collection ranges from 16Ω to 600Ω with a sensitivity ranging from ~93 up to ~120 dB/mW.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Apologies, that was a poorly put question there now that I have reread it.

I have seen Amir and other reviewers casually mention/touch upon amplification power and the effects it has on bass and dynamic passages on tracks. I am trying to wrap my head around what is really required in regards to amplification and headroom for normal headphones ranging from 32 to 300Ω with a sensitivity ~100 dB/mW... so not talking about difficult to drive HE-6s / HE-560s nor super sensitive Andromedas.

Case in point. Take the middle of the road headphone the Senn HD600 and power it by one of the following AIO DAC+HPA devices... would the Meizu's ~10mW handle the most difficult bass parts and ~20-25dB peaks of a dynamic track as well as the DX7 Pro providing ~54mW? At 1.748 Vrms would the bass be slightly anemic with the Meizu compared to the Aune or DX7 Pro?

My lean is toward the objective rather than the subjective so I am interested more in the audio science and math ;).

Meizu HiFiPro

View attachment 62790

Aune X1S 2020

View attachment 62791

Topping DX7 Pro

View attachment 62792

By the way, the two (2) cans in my signature that you mentioned our custom made earbuds from Singapore and Thailand. The Kryptonites @ 150Ω have a sensitivity of ~95 dB/mW and the Blurs @ 300Ω have a sensitivity of ~105 dB/mW. The rest of my earbud collection ranges from 16Ω to 600Ω with a sensitivity ranging from ~93 up to ~120 dB/mW.
First off all differences are in space (components separation, encloser, shilling and materials) and secondarly to harshness of operating conditions regarding exposure to noise sources. All advantages are on desktop side, rest is up to engineering. In the end it's possible to have the portable DAC amp which is on pair with desktop gear for can's with dynamic drivers up to 300 Ohm's this day's with possible need to modify them (adding shielding) in order to increase rejection rate for EMI. But this won't be a dongle but more of a battery powered flask. For example Tooping NX4 DSD or TempoTec Sonata iDSD + Topping NX3s. Toppings even have bass bost that work's well on lower loudness levels. You can find review & measurements of NX3S and NX4 DSD hire. I have Sonata iDSD & did modify it but that one is up to 64~70 Ohm's alone. The dynamic drivers need to get enough power to straighten & level up & you feel that in bass region mostly so when you don't feed them sufficient enough then there's the difference in how they sound.

pii75

Does anybody recently purchased the non pro version to check if the issue with rate 44100Hz and multiple has been solved as in the pro version?

Veri

Master Contributor
Does anybody recently purchased the non pro version to check if the issue with rate 44100Hz and multiple has been solved as in the pro version?
It is solved there, it's only an issue in non-pro. But even then, I use non-pro and it stutters very very rarely when it loses lock, because it runs in sync mode instead of async, it's not a super big problem for the price..

Top Bottom