• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MEIZU Hifi Pro USB-C Phone Dongle DAC Review

Veri

Master Contributor
Bought the non pro version?
Yup. With a 3$ new user coupon slapped on top of it, couldn't resist. It's as flimsy as the apple usb-c though... But on paper it performs a little better than that one :D I like it. I don't think the Pro is really that much better. I think it doesn't have the stutter problem though, so for that alone it might be worth upgrading to... but on 48kHz I don't have any problems on non-Pro. so that's good enough for me.

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yup. With a 3$ new user coupon slapped on top of it, couldn't resist. It's as flimsy as the apple usb-c though... But on paper it performs a little better than that one :D I like it. I don't think the Pro is really that much better. I think it doesn't have the stutter problem though, so for that alone it might be worth upgrading to... but on 48kHz I don't have any problems on non-Pro. so that's good enough for me.
Mh I'm on mobile now but I think the apple actually measures a bit better. The pro version of course is much better, especially with amplification. But yeah it's great what little money can buy today!

andrewch

Anyone getting reboots after connecting Meizu Pro to Android phone?

I use it with Pixel 2 XL and this wasn't the case in the beginning. But now I can't listen for longer periods without the phone rebooting for some reason. These reboots only happen when Meizu Pro is connected, even with full battery.

mgmate

I use it with Pixel 2 XL and this wasn't the case in the beginning. But now I can't listen for longer periods without the phone rebooting for some reason. These reboots only happen when Meizu Pro is connected, even with full battery.
Not me on Samsung Galaxy Note 9.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor

Make sure you enabled USB debugging!
Phone reboots as kernel panic (security mechanism) is triggered after simultaneous errors accure.

Kouioui

Forum Donor

I've been using the Meizu with my Pixel 2XL for a month and never had your issue. I stream Qobuz and Tidal using UAPP with its Toneboosters parametric EQ into all my wired headphones. I'll be on the lookout for it in the future but this phone has been rock solid for 2yrs.

Veri

Master Contributor
Using the Meizu non-Pro dongle for a solid week now. I prefer using the dongle directly to earphone/headphone, not connecting it to another amp.
When doing so it sounds not unlike my THX amp at home. Just crystal clear.

I agree with the medium article. The Meizu HiFi (non-)Pro is a powerful, clean-sounding dongle and is a worthy upgrade from Apple’s offering. Highly recommended :)! I'm sure the Pro is equally good but at this point I don't know why'd you buy the more expensive one. The only downside to me is very sporadic stutter (going by hearsay, non-pro uses "synchronous usb" and the Pro is asynchronous, not sure if true).

Asylum Seeker

Do
There are better & more comprehensive choices for same money than Meizu Pro in my humble opinion which if nothing else will be more convenient to use & last longer.

Do tell - which ones?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Do

Do tell - which ones?
The TempoTec Sonata HD Pro which is Hidizs S8 did a little better in measurements & will certainly last longer. All do Sonata HD Pro has volume control's steps are rather to big but still better than nothing. Neither of those have proper ASIO driver & are very sensitive regarding input current over USB. My personal recommendation is something else (in this budget category) that isn't exactly dingle or a thumb alike thingy it's still portable alright. TempoTec Sonata iDSD.

Last edited:

Asylum Seeker

The TempoTec Sonata HD Pro which is Hidizs S8 did a little better in measurements & will certainly last longer. All do Sonata HD Pro has volume control's steps are rather to big but still better than nothing. Neither of those have proper ASIO driver & are very sensitive regarding input current over USB. My personal recommendation is something else that isn't exactly dingle or a thumb alike thingy it's still portable alright. TempoTec Sonata iDSD.
Ok, thanks - ill check them out. But I have no need for computer connectivity. Computers are work. Android mobile is life, entertainment...

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Ok, thanks - ill check them out. But I have no need for computer connectivity. Computers are work. Android mobile is life, entertainment...
Well I have a fetish if you like to call it that way to value how something is easy to use & that it works properly when you plug it in not to have to plug & pray. Otherwise both PC and Android are a necessary evil from my perspective (long time enthusiast).
Best regards.

Asylum Seeker

...My personal recommendation is something else (in this budget category) that isn't exactly dingle or a thumb alike thingy it's still portable alright. TempoTec Sonata iDSD.

I hear ya - what are your top three recommendations (based on good measured, objective technical performance) under $100?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I hear ya - what are your top three recommendations (based on good measured, objective technical performance) under $100?
When you put it like that it comes back to zero in portable segment (Sonata iDSD still don't have proper measurements) so it's back to Sonata HD Pro, Hidizs S8 & Meizu HiFi Pro (top to bottom ranked & first two are the same, Sonata HD Pro is in a first place as it's cheaper and TempoTec is OEM) acording to measurements & I already explained their main shortcomings.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The TempoTec Sonata HD Pro which is Hidizs S8 did a little better in measurements & will certainly last longer. All do Sonata HD Pro has volume control's steps are rather to big but still better than nothing. Neither of those have proper ASIO driver & are very sensitive regarding input current over USB. My personal recommendation is something else (in this budget category) that isn't exactly dingle or a thumb alike thingy it's still portable alright. TempoTec Sonata iDSD.

Makes sense. But I'm loving the Meizu Pro because I leave it attached to my headphones and don't even notice it's there. Just bought a 2nd one to have one for each of the headphones I use for mobile purposes.

Hope they hold up. I don't use headphones for mobile use a lot, so I'm crossing my fingers that they last awhile.

Samfak3228

Hello. What should i get for desctop use. I have takstar pro 82 and wanna buy dac/sound card for it. Meizu pro dac is fine for it? I read much info about it. I wanna buy pro dac, or e1da 9038s/d/powedac v2. Should i pay more for e1da, or i can buy something better? If u recomend me e1da, do u have a link of a balsnced cable for my takstar pro 82. Is sound blaster ae5 has better sounding then e1da? Pls, reply.

Veri

Master Contributor
@Samfak3228 9038 would be good but 9038d is not finished yet. So that leaves you with Meizu pro/non-pro and hidisz S8.

Both would be good really, your Takstar does not have high power requirement.

MihaiM

Hi, could anyone confirm if the Meizu Dac Pro works with the Xiaomi Mi 9T / Mi 9T Pro? Thanks!

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi, could anyone confirm if the Meizu Dac Pro works with the Xiaomi Mi 9T / Mi 9T Pro? Thanks!
It's just a USB DAC so it sure should. Note it only 'starts up' once a 3.5mm is inserted.

Top Bottom