• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MEIZU Hifi Pro USB-C Phone Dongle DAC Review

sndp

IEM with which I've experienced it: Etymotic ER2XR

Will try some more IEMs (all of the ones I have are low impedance).

What does "low impedance IEM taking noise" mean? If you meant "making noise", why do low impedance IEMs make noise?

mgmate

IEM with which I've experienced it: Etymotic ER2XR

Will try some more IEMs (all of the ones I have are low impedance).

What does "low impedance IEM taking noise" mean? If you meant "making noise", why do low impedance IEMs make noise?
Usually low impedance IEMS should be more prone to take "noise" as they are much more sensitive to minimal voltage variations, that could come from interference for example in the mobile phone from a mouse, wifi, even internal from the mobile.

On the other side, high impedance headsets are more "inmune" to this kind of noise as would require actually more voltage to be at same volume, so any "low voltage" noise is highly inaudible. I think is worth to try this option if possible.

Regards,

Manuel.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Still waiting on my Meizu non-Pro. Seems it's coming by slow boat :)... really eager to try it!

This is getting toward the end of the Chinese New Year vacation period which last a few weeks. Almost nobody works. During that time, Chinese vendors may not be processing orders, and I understand Chinese shipping slows to a crawl.

hifitechnoindia

i am owner of LG G7 it doesn't work at all with that smartphone i can hear a static sound. can someone advise

Carlens

I'm been using the Meizu Hifi Pro with a Samsung Note 10+ and experiencing a lot of interference that causes annoying buzzing sounds similar to cellular interference that makes it practically unusable with my phone atleast. Is this a known issue?

Before it, I was using the Venture Electronics Odyssey HD and didn't experience this.

I also found some other people facing the same issue:

I suffer the same issue with a Samsung Galaxy S9 and Campfire Andromeda IEM, a lot of EMI noise.

mgmate

I suffer the same issue with a Samsung Galaxy S9 and Campfire Andromeda IEM, a lot of EMI noise.
As it is said a few messages above, it could be related to low impedance IEMS. Andromeda Campfire IEM are 12,8 Ohm impedance, so it seems it is related to very low impedance IEMS.

It would be good if you can test with any other medium or high impedance headsets or IEMS to pinpoint if said point is the actual issue.

Regards,

captain paranoia

There must be something wrong with your setup Amir. The excessive noise shouldn't be there.

The HF noise and the jitter behaviour suggested to me that there's something not right with the unit Amir tested. Your independent test (I'm assuming with the same model) seems to confirm that.

I note that no-one else seems to have commented on your findings, which is a shame.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The HF noise and the jitter behaviour suggested to me that there's something not right with the unit Amir tested. Your independent test (I'm assuming with the same model) seems to confirm that.

I note that no-one else seems to have commented on your findings, which is a shame.
Well, yes, the measurement done by 0db also shows way better performance. There, a phone running UAPP was used as a source.

captain paranoia

Well, yes, the measurement done by 0db

Couldn't find that with a quick scroll through the thread...

Now, cheap stuff always carries the risk of poor QA, but I'd also be wondering if something odd was happening with my tests. I don't like to see wildly different results with different tests; comes from years of development experience where you are looking for prototype build faults, or some design tolerance sensitivity.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
i am owner of LG G7 it doesn't work at all with that smartphone i can hear a static sound. can someone advise
Need to enable OTG out (on my Oneplus 3T I have to tell it to connect to OTG every time)- try Developer Options

RichardK

Just bought the Meizu Pro Dac to connect my Tin Hifi headphones with hopefully more musical quality to my MacBook Pro using audirvana and tidal ...

The thing I’m curious about... would it also work with my iPhone 11 Pro Max using a USB C to Lightning connector??

Last edited:

vitalii427

Forum Donor
As it is said a few messages above, it could be related to low impedance IEMS. Andromeda Campfire IEM are 12,8 Ohm impedance, so it seems it is related to very low impedance IEMS.

It would be good if you can test with any other medium or high impedance headsets or IEMS to pinpoint if said point is the actual issue.

Regards,
Andromeda’s impedance rating at 12,8 Ohm is really misleading and dishonest to me. I have two pairs and both have less than 4 Ohm until few hundred hertz and about 8 Ohm average in 20hz-20khz

EDIT: this measurement is pretty close to my own:
index.php

Last edited:

mgmate

Andromeda’s impedance rating at 12,8 Ohm is really misleading and dishonest to me. I have two pairs and both have less than 4 Ohm until few hundred hertz and about 8 Ohm average in 20hz-20khz

EDIT: this measurement is pretty close to my own:
index.php
Vitalli427,

I do not have the headphones, so I gather this information from the Web page: https://campfireaudio.com/shop/andromeda/. It says in technical specs 12,8 Ohm at 1khz. I do credit for the tech specs they publish, just as simple as that!!!

From your measures it is more like 7 Ohm at 1khz in your copy, so if the hiss and interference would be related with low impedance IEMS could be in deed more that predicted... The point I want to verify, if possible, is if the issue people is reporting is linked to the low impedance IEMS, just that.

Regards,

Manuel.

or965

Vitalli427,

I do not have the headphones, so I gather this information from the Web page: https://campfireaudio.com/shop/andromeda/. It says in technical specs 12,8 Ohm at 1khz. I do credit for the tech specs they publish, just as simple as that!!!

From your measures it is more like 7 Ohm at 1khz in your copy, so if the hiss and interference would be related with low impedance IEMS could be in deed more that predicted... The point I want to verify, if possible, is if the issue people is reporting is linked to the low impedance IEMS, just that.

Regards,

Manuel.
I used a kz as10, which have 13 Ohm at 1khz and do not have any noise on the Meizu hifi pro connected to a Samsung s8 plus or PC but have noise on a Meizu pro 5 with the Meizu hifi pro.

Last edited:

mgmate

I used a kz as10, which have 13 Ohm at 1khz and do not have any noise on a Samsung s8 plus or PC but have noise on a Meizu pro 5.
@or965, Can you try with a different headphones with medium-high impedance to test if noise is still present?

Regards,

or965

@or965, Can you try with a different headphones with medium-high impedance to test if noise is still present?

Regards,
I just tried with a SONICAST DIRAC+ MK2, which have Impedance of 29 Ohms and it have the same noise on the Meizu pro 5 with the Meizu hifi pro. It seems that the noise is only on certain smartphones.

Last edited:

mgmate

I just tried with a SONICAST DIRAC+ MK2, which have Impedance of 29 Ohms and it have the same noise on the Meizu pro 5. It seems that the noise is only on certain smartphones.
Ok, sorry to hear that, but we are talking about the Meizu Hifi Pro USB-C dongle!!! , not any Meizu Phone... I was confused at first.

Regards,

or965

Ok, sorry to hear that, but we are talking about the Meizu Hifi Pro USB-C dongle!!! , not any Meizu Phone... I was confused at first.

Regards,
No I meant that I connect the Meizu hifi pro to the Meizu pro 5 through type c connection.I only have issues when I use the Meizu hifi pro on the Meizu pro 5,on the Samsung Galaxy s8 plus and on my PC,there is no noise.

Veri

Master Contributor
Just got my meuzi hifi non-pro. Works fine on laptop on battery power. While laptop's charging I suppose there is more interference but largely inaudible anyway, I suppose.

Only "bad" thing is stutters on 44kHz on Mac. I set it to 48kHz in Audio MIDI settings and it's fine now :) For the $22 incl shipping it's great!

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just got my meuzi hifi non-pro. Works fine on laptop on battery power. While laptop's charging I suppose there is more interference but largely inaudible anyway, I suppose.

Only "bad" thing is stutters on 44kHz on Mac. I set it to 48kHz in Audio MIDI settings and it's fine now :) For the $22 incl shipping it's great!
Bought the non pro version?

Top Bottom