• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MEIZU Hifi Pro USB-C Phone Dongle DAC Review

mrnikt

HI
Does anybody used this dongle with Xiaomi phone ?
I found interesting review on Aliexpress saying that is does not make sense to use USB DAC with XIAOMI because the sound is spoiled by processing at the firmware level even in digital form. What is yuor opinion / advice - Xiaomi users & Audiophiles :) ???
2020-01-03 17_04_19-hyperguider Store - Small Orders Online Store on Aliexpress.com.png

2020-01-03 19_49_57-Tłumacz Google.png

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
D
HI
I found interesting review on Aliexpress saying that there is does not make sense to use USB DAC with XIAOMI because the sound is spoiled by processing at the firmware level even in digital form. What is yuor opinion / advice - Xiaomi users & Audiophiles :) ???
View attachment 44521
View attachment 44522
Did try my old Mi Max with my current portable DAC (Sonata iDSD) out of curiosity & it worked just fine (including Android USB audio). Most of the time you will anyway use it with apps that have their own driver and infrastructure (HiBy, HF, Neutron, USB player...). It's not all roses nor very convenient. For instance I need to disconnect DAC usb cable to answer incoming call, DSD direct line knows sometimes to get jammed & cetera and all of that with Sony which has far better polished software. To be fair even on Windows software ain't rose garden either but that's how things go.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
HI
I found interesting review on Aliexpress saying that is does not make sense to use USB DAC with XIAOMI because the sound is spoiled by processing at the firmware level even in digital form. What is yuor opinion / advice - Xiaomi users & Audiophiles :) ???
View attachment 44521
View attachment 44522

Hmm. One subjective impression, and simple lie and misunderstanding of Android phones? I would seek more opinions.

bravomail

I'm on the Google pixel 3. The given dongle has a very huge noise floor.

Thanks, but I wasn't intending to use the Meizu pro version that comes with op amp.

I am just comparing the non pro version, which should have enough juice, with the apple dongle.

Meizu NonPro has synchronization issues with non 48kHz sound. I simply cannot sugggest using it. Get Pro for more power and resolved issues. Apple USB-C is also good, but it is 1/3 of power of Meizu Pro.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Meizu NonPro has synchronization issues with non 48kHz sound. I simply cannot sugggest using it. Get Pro for more power and resolved issues. Apple USB-C is also good, but it is 1/3 of power of Meizu Pro.
There are better & more comprehensive choices for same money than Meizu Pro in my humble opinion which if nothing else will be more convenient to use & last longer.

mrnikt

D

Did try my old Mi Max with my current portable DAC (Sonata iDSD) out of curiosity & it worked just fine (including Android USB audio).
Talking about USB audio - do I need any additional software to use USB Audio (understood as bypassing all onboard audio) ? IS installing UAPP or similar soft enough ??? I want to use TIDAL HIFI... just lost all of my FLAC/MP3 files :(.

There are better & more comprehensive choices for same money than Meizu Pro in my humble opinion which if nothing else will be more convenient to use & last longer.
Any advices ??? :) It must be mobile (no desk DAC's) , cost no mre than 40-50 USD and be powerful enough for 32 Ohm headphones (Marshall Major III).

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Talking about USB audio - do I need any additional software to use USB Audio (understood as bypassing all onboard audio) ? IS installing UAPP or similar soft enough ??? I want to use TIDAL HIFI... just lost all of my FLAC/MP3 files :(.

Any advices ??? :) It must be mobile (no desk DAC's) , cost no mre than 40-50 USD and be powerful enough for 32 Ohm headphones (Marshall Major III).
Well I don't use USB audio player nor streaming services, streaming radio sometimes with Neutron. UAPP is probably best for streaming services you asked about, thing is I never really liked it and it's rather costly. You can use any multimedia app with Android default driver but driver restrictions will stay that way, apps with their own drivers will ask you when ever you contact DAC to establish connection to it and when you do they will disconnect default Android one. Sharing is caring, this day's you can find a lot of CD Flac ripps, for instance yesterday I diged up Kind A Blue from Miles in a form of a great 192 KHz 24 bit remaster (Flac), much better than CD I actually paid for.

Well I can tell only for what I got & that's TempoTec Sonata iDSD which ain't exactly handy (almost a small phone size), comes with older ES9018K2M and Sabre9601k amp. I wanted specifically separate input power line and battery powered DAC that's why I did go with this one. It's sharp and fast over PCM line while being rather very neutral over DSD one, anyway I use it with DSD line almost always (converting in flight input to DSD128 which does sip the battery). Has enough power to drive decently not so efficient 64 Ohm's over the ear cans but I use it with my 32 Ohm's earbuds (Aurvanu Air mid sensitive 102~103 LPS but not forgiving, a tad on the bright side & with fascinating intake) most of the time. The ES9018K2M is nothing to write back home about but still decadent enough while Sabre9601k is still exceptional amplifier and better than Texas Instruments one's in my humble opinion that is. One more thing regarding Sonata iDSD is that USB C cable is really bad quality (the rest of the cable's are much better especially Y micro mini one) so you would probably have to buy a decent one. I bought it for 50$ on singles day, you can get it regularly for 55$ after register (hitting a follow the store button) on TempoTec official Aliexpres shop. If you are more for the pen drive size without battery option & CS43131 for 45$ they have Sonata HD Pro, which is selling quite good as I see but they never disclosed what amp they used nor did I try it so it wouldn't be nice from me to express any kind of opinion about it.

Best regards.

Last edited:

kaexch

I didn't really need more power as I will only use them with IEMs.
If i were to only use IEMs, will the apple dongle be sufficient ?

xxiii

Many of the chips in these devices have their firmware written to them only ever once while they're not yet soldered. Once built into the final product, that's it.
Firmware upgradable dongles like the Sonata are an exception I believe.
still have firmware for ibasso dc

adolchristin

I use a range of headphones from sensitive IEMs (GR07 Classic) to less sensitive headphones (AKG K712 Pro). I'm assuming the Pro version of this DAC is a better choice for my needs but I worry that the Pro is too powerful for the IEMs; on my macbook pro for instance one pip of volume in the volume control is already borderline too loud for the IEMs. Anybody with experience using the Meizu Pro with IEMs?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I use a range of headphones from sensitive IEMs (GR07 Classic) to less sensitive headphones (AKG K712 Pro). I'm assuming the Pro version of this DAC is a better choice for my needs but I worry that the Pro is too powerful for the IEMs; on my macbook pro for instance one pip of volume in the volume control is already borderline too loud for the IEMs. Anybody with experience using the Meizu Pro with IEMs?
I have and it's no issue at all!

confucius_zero

Ordered in through Ali. Will let you know impressions when I get it :)

Nicosea

Hi, does anyone tested the Meizu pro on iPhone (iOS in general)? Does volume control work in all apps?
And what about Android UAPP? Guess hardware volume works (with bit perfect selected)?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi, does anyone tested the Meizu pro on iPhone (iOS in general)? Does volume control work in all apps?
And what about Android UAPP? Guess hardware volume works (with bit perfect selected)?
Hardware volume works as intended on Android UAPP. No idea about iOS though, sorry.

Carlens

Standard version has continual "pop" when it is running at 44.1kHz and it seems to be related to not being asynchronous.
Does the pro version have the same issue?
I bought the standard version and I could appreciate the issue when I connected it to my Shanling M1, on my smartphone it work fine. Is there any way to fix it?

misterawesome

I'm an urban commuter living in the States (Chicago), so portability and durability is key. I'm upgrading from a (broken) Sonata HD, that I'm using with a Pixel 3XL and 1More Triple Driver IEMs. However, I am having a hard time getting my hands on this (got a fraud alert from Aliexpress and didn't feel comfortable giving them additional financial info; also explored a site called Giztop that seems suspicious). Is there a reputable option anyone in could recommend for ordering from the US?

My backup option is the iBasso DC02 - would this have sufficient power for my setup? I know it wasn't recommended, but wasn't sure if that was because it was underpowered for higher-end headphones. I bought a $9 Apple dongle but, as these forums warned, it wasn't powerful enough on Android.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I'm an urban commuter living in the States (Chicago), so portability and durability is key. I'm upgrading from a (broken) Sonata HD, that I'm using with a Pixel 3XL and 1More Triple Driver IEMs. However, I am having a hard time getting my hands on this (got a fraud alert from Aliexpress and didn't feel comfortable giving them additional financial info; also explored a site called Giztop that seems suspicious). Is there a reputable option anyone in could recommend for ordering from the US?

My backup option is the iBasso DC02 - would this have sufficient power for my setup? I know it wasn't recommended, but wasn't sure if that was because it was underpowered for higher-end headphones. I bought a $9 Apple dongle but, as these forums warned, it wasn't powerful enough on Android.
Well Aliexpress is perfectly fine regarding my experience and protective towards costumers. There are all kind of sellers out there & when possible it's advised to buy from official store's if not the seller rating should be a guide line.
You are aware & learned the lesson by now how sooner or later cable will die & how you should avoid things that come with fixed non replaceable cables. There are some new options but I won't recommend you anything that I am not fully aware of so you will need to think that part on your self.

staticV3

Master Contributor

The DC02 supposedly doesn't sound very good and seeing how the superior DC01 performed in Amir's measuring suite, I would avoid both of them.
As for durability, you will always lose out compared to an integrated headphone jack when going with a dongle. The ones with a fixed cable (Meizu) are bound to develop a loose contact and the ones with a removable one (9038S, S8) will probably have their USB port worn out at some point. That being said, the two best options I see are to either get a cheap dongle like the one from Apple or Meizu and replace it once it breaks, or get one with a removable cable, permanently affix the cable with tape, rubber bands, or similar in order to protect the USB jack, and just replace the cable once it breaks.

PS: You should avoid the 9038S as it can't be used while using cellular because of horrible EMI noise. The 9038D would be ideal, but that one has yet to come out.
PPS: I have bought the S8 and will compare it extensively to the Meizu Pro and the 9038S once it's here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom